Sign in with
Your question

another con?

Last response: in Systems
February 14, 2008 2:37:09 AM

http://cgi.ebay.com/Gaming-PC-QX9650-4-2GHz-Each-DDR3-4...

so is there a problem with this listing?

asus maximus extreme + sli 8800's = how?

:heink:  :heink: 

am i missing something?

More about : con

February 14, 2008 3:11:43 AM

Isn't there some way to get SLI on some Intel boards? I heard something about NV support for some Intel mobos but not enabling it yet in drivers - maybe there are hacked drivers for this?

Dunno. Just speculating.
February 14, 2008 3:25:45 AM

Sofakingbroke said:

am i missing something?

Yeah, that looks a fishy. If you look closely, it looks like there's only one graphics card in the case. Also, they only show one box for the 8800gtx. Probably some scammer who found the pics on the web and doesn't know computers. He probably just knows saying it's sli makes it worth more.
Related resources
February 14, 2008 3:39:00 AM

No warranty available either. Also this guy has no feedback from being a seller. Some people sure brave. Also Paypal only gaurantees 200 on this item. That means he is not verified through Paypal.
February 14, 2008 4:05:16 AM

Might not be dodgy If you look in his buyer history he has actually bought most of the parts for this build on Ebay.
February 14, 2008 12:31:50 PM

Who in their right mind would drop that kind of cash on a system with no warranty, and only $200 Paypal protection?
February 14, 2008 12:37:14 PM

Is this a forum to assist people with "BUILDING" a new computer or to research "WHOLE" computer builds???

My advice is "GET OFF THE SOFA" and build a computer and that's were this forum comes in so we can assist you with recommendations as to but equipment to order based on your budget & usage.
February 14, 2008 1:09:24 PM

This is NOT a "Sherlock Holmes" forum it's a "New System Build" forum so to start threads for comments on ebay whole computer configurations doesn't seem to fit.
February 14, 2008 1:14:22 PM

mlaporta said:
Is this a forum to assist people with "BUILDING" a new computer or to research "WHOLE" computer builds???

My advice is "GET OFF THE SOFA" and build a computer and that's were this forum comes in so we can assist you with recommendations as to but equipment to order based on your budget & usage.

Get off your f'ing soapbox. If you have nothing to contribute to the thread, then don't. If you don't like it, then ignore it. This is much more interesting than the millions of threads saying "rate my build".
February 14, 2008 1:31:32 PM

mlaporta said:
This is NOT a "Sherlock Holmes" forum it's a "New System Build" forum so to start threads for comments on ebay whole computer configurations doesn't seem to fit.

lol that's great
February 14, 2008 1:55:43 PM

orangegator said:
Get off your f'ing soapbox. If you have nothing to contribute to the thread, then don't. If you don't like it, then ignore it. This is much more interesting than the millions of threads saying "rate my build".

I will agree that it is more interesting but it is in the wrong forum "New System Build".

If you want a warm fuzzy for helping you to decide on a ebay computer go see Dr. Phil or Dear Abby.

Better yet if you want to remove any reservations on purchasing a "whole" computer just get a Dell or a HP.
February 14, 2008 3:29:18 PM

Dear forum hitler,

I'm glad you could take a break from making your e-love to Silverion77 and grace this thread with your wonderful and knowledgeable insight.

A quick question for you though: Why would you click a thread that your not interested in reading? Not once, but at least 3 times (and 2 of those times, in the span of 40 minutes, when nobody else had replied?)
It took you 40 minutes to come up with the Sherlock Holmes line and you felt you had to share it with the world, eh? Gold star for you!

who gives a **** what forum it's in, for you it's as easy as ignoring it.... but of course, you won't.

So where would you put a thread on this kind of topic?

So in the future if a thread really bothers you, instead of trying to act like a pompous prick, why not pm a mod to move it or simply - ignore it?

cheers.

And just for you (budget and uses):

$2,500 - graphic design, dvd making, video editing and gaming.

-------------------------------------------------------------

See ultimately, what this thread does is skip a few steps, for example:

New thread title: My first ever build, helpp noob newb nub plzzz

My build so far:

blah blah
Asus Maximus Extreme
2 8800 gtx's in sli
blah blah

I just bought it all i'm so excited!

Following comments:

"Nice build!"
"Looks good, let us know how it is!"
"Wait, you can't use that mobo with sli!"
"haha, idiot..."
"You spent too much money on that build! i could build one faster with half the money!"
"That's why I love you Silverion77... hope my gf doesn't get mad "lol""
"I love sheep, wayy too much"
"Why did you buy that, when you could buy this...."

So ultimately we get: "MOBO does't work with sli."

Then the reply would be:
But this guy is using it here *insert ebay link here*

And ultimately we would be discussing if this guy is ripping people off or not.

February 14, 2008 3:54:46 PM

Sofakingbroke said:

am i missing something?

You're not missing anything. That Ebay listing is faker than Pamela Anderson's boobies.

Prolly some jack-off heisted another ebay account hoping to sell a load of crap to some unsususpecting fool. SLI on the Maximus Extreme, that's just stoopid!

If you're gonna fake a listing, at least get the specs right. Tsk,tsk...
February 14, 2008 4:04:58 PM

The Community Forum that would work best: Opinions and Experiences & Other.

Just because your lazy so it seems to build your own as you want to buy a "completed" system and then post it on "New System Builds", just absolutely doesn't make any sense.

And calling me a "pompous prick" is rather childish to say the least.

I will agree that if I don't like it, ignore it but I'm clueless as to what your trying to accomplish on this peticular forum, this is a 2nd thread for "Is This a Con" like you want some type of reassurance from others to make a purchase. What next you going to post a blender or a vacuum and ask is this a con and should I buy it.

I am not a Hitler and just stating the "APPROPRIATENESS" of your thread.

And you sure must have gone back some time to read my admiration for Silverion77 (and many others) which I don't see how it applies other than to show I compliment other's on their knowledge & insight on computers (please go back and list the many positive comments I have made to others instead of choosing one to make fun of).
February 14, 2008 4:10:37 PM

orangegator said:
Yeah, that looks a fishy. If you look closely, it looks like there's only one graphics card in the case. Also, they only show one box for the 8800gtx. Probably some scammer who found the pics on the web and doesn't know computers. He probably just knows saying it's sli makes it worth more.

And another fishy item from that build list: 350GB WD drive

Huh? I don't think they make that capacity (does anyone?). Someone who actually built the machine would likely know it's 320. I'd stay away.
February 14, 2008 4:27:18 PM

mlaporta said:
The Community Forum that would work best: Opinions and Experiences & Other.

Just because your lazy so it seems to build your own as you want to buy a "completed" system and then post it on "New System Builds", just absolutely doesn't make any sense.

And calling me a "pompous prick" is rather childish to say the least.

I will agree that if I don't like it, ignore it but I'm clueless as to what your trying to accomplish on this peticular forum, this is a 2nd thread for "Is This a Con" like you want some type of reassurance from others to make a purchase. What next you going to post a blender or a vacuum and ask is this a con and should I buy it.

I am not a Hitler and just stating the "APPROPRIATENESS" of your thread.

And you sure must have gone back some time to read my admiration for Silverion77 (and many others) which I don't see how it applies other than to show I compliment other's on their knowledge & insight on computers (please go back and list the many positive comments I have made to others instead of choosing one to make fun of).

For what I have gathered about those forums you posted: Other - if you post about computer stuff in there, you end up raped. Opinions and experiences - I have no opinion or experience with this seller - just a question.

I'm lazy because instead of putting the pieces together for 4000+ I could buy it built and actually save money? If that's what you call lazy, i'll take lazy over stupid.

Your whole attitude in this thread stinks, so why do you continue to click it?

Well I have looked at buying both of those rigs I have posted about and then found something wrong with em, so if all it does is give some people who could also have looked at them (say the 20+ people who have bid on this auction alone) some insight, then so be it.

My thread is not inappropriate, your replies are - so please kindly leave the thread alone?

Thanks.
February 14, 2008 4:30:51 PM

The_Rev said:
And another fishy item from that build list: 350GB WD drive

Huh? I don't think they make that capacity (does anyone?). Someone who actually built the machine would likely know it's 320. I'd stay away.

Your right, i missed that one.
February 14, 2008 5:21:04 PM

I actually sent the guy a message asking how can he have sli when that board only supports crossfire.

Here's his reply:
" I can run tri-sli if i wanted to with sli drivers floating around the web and asus bios update which is not going to be released to the public until Nvidia Releases its 790i Chipset."

Yeah, right. I read that indeed there are hacked sli drivers that work for 6 and 7 series cards, but not 8. Plus, why the hell would you spend all that money on a system just to use crappy, hacked drivers. SCAM
February 14, 2008 6:08:55 PM

I sent the same thing, his replies:

"it can actually run tri-sli with future bios update. I recieved a bios update from Asus which suppports SLI and enabled it in Bios Screen."

"also got sli drivers to support x38, that were floating around the web. If it wasnt for Nvidia the Asus Maximus would have been released with tri-sli support. Soon enough there will be a public release from Asus to support tri-sli"
February 14, 2008 6:23:18 PM

Well, I just reported this add to ebay. I felt bad for the poor smuck who's getting scammed out of at least $2700.
!