motherboard swop

nigelleg

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2008
I want to change my current board (intel DP35DPM) for an abit ip35 pro

I was originally going to build a second machine on this board

Due to lack of funds it looks like I will have to work to a budget which would mean I can only get the board (abit ip35 pro)the case (CM690)and PSU ( HX620)

Is it possible to swop all my hardware straight across keep my hard drive with op system files music photo's etc as is and be able to boot up and carry on. It is a seagate drive 500 gig it is partitioned down the middle

My one friend suggested uninstall all drivers related to this board power down do swop power up run through bios settings and reload abit board drivers and might work ( I am not convinced so just want a bit of yes/no with reasons)

I am aware of call to microsoft for board swop

The thing is I have everything just as I want it and dont really want to start from scratch and have to transfer /reload/set up everything again

If it is poss to do this what would be my best options

If not what would you suggest as my most trouble free option (if such a thing exists) of getting through the board swop

Thanks guys

runswindows95

Distinguished
The most trouble free option would be backup all your files and reinstall everything. The other option is what #13 suggested, but a lot of times, it doesn't work or causes a lot of issues.

mtyermom

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2007

Then don't change out the motherboard. If you're going to be willing to move the hardware over to a new board (and case and PSU) then you have to be willing to go all the way, don't just do a half ass job. Backup all the files you want to keep onto the second partition of your HDD, then do a format with a fresh OS install on the first partition.

If you are truly stubborn/determined to keep your existing OS install, then give it a try. Strip all of the drivers out, and you have to be thorough. IMO it will all be wasted time and you will end up reinstalling anyway...

To be honest, when I do a major upgrade/rebuild I actually look forward to a format/reinstall and starting with a clean OS.