Noob needs help!

bctotheg

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2008
Last weekend I attempted my first build, running:

AMD Athlon 64 X2 5200+ Brisbane 2.7GHz
GIGABYTE GA-MA69G-S3H AM2 AMD 690G HDMI ATX AMD Motherboard
DATA Extreme Edition 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory
Western Digital Caviar SE 160GB 7200 RPM 8MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive
HIS Hightech Radeon HD 3850 256MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16
XCLIO STABLEPOWER 500W ATX 500W Power Supply 100

I put it all together and plugged it in. The fans all booted up, the DVD drive worked, and I thought I could hear the hard drive spin up (I'm not sure though, it's quiet, and I really don't think that it's relevent to the problem). But that's all that would happen. The monitor said no display and the motherboard didn't beep. This is as far as I've gotten. I've tried all the basic troubleshooting procedures. I've taken off the video card which was using dvi to connect to the monitor and am now using simply vga straight from the motherboard (it has an integrated ati x1250). I've tried each stick of RAM in each slot so I'm pretty sure it's not the RAM.

I fear I might have seriously screwed up at a few point in putting the thing together. First mistake, I didn't use a static bracelet, although I attempted to stay grounded at all times. Florida is usually pretty damp and warm so I figured it wouldn't be a problem (I'm beginning to think this might not have been the smartest move). Also, when putting the heatsink on top of the cpu I lifted it up to reposition it not realizing the thermal paste on the bottom of the heatsink stuck to the processor, bending two pins in the process (remember, noob). I got those straightened out with a pair of pliers. everything fit fine after that and I had no further problems. So do you think I screwed the pooch and destroyed the processor, or is my problem something different (and hopefully less expensive)

Also of note: My case doesn't have a speaker cable to connect to the motherboard (I'm pretty sure) but I've got an auxilery cable that connects from the back to the monitor. I don't know if this would make any difference.

Thanks in advance.

IH8U

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2007
hook monitor up to the MB's VGA port
1. remove the 3850
2. press power button
3. hit delete to enter bios (may need to clear CMOS first)
4. if unable to enter BIOS, remove all RAM then power on again
(should error no memory present)
5. If still no boot, power off, remove CPU and try to boot
(should error here)

if still nothing you have a dead MB

bctotheg

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2008
I've already removed the 3850 and am going straight of the motherboard through vga. I've cleared the CMOS (removed the battery for a minute). I've removed the all the RAM and still had the same thing, just nothing. Haven't tried removing the cpu yet, but I'll try that tomorrow. I read that bubble between the thermal paste and cpu can cause the cpu to malfunction, is this true? I'm pretty sure it's not the power supply because all the fans and bays turn on, and it's 500 watts which should be more than enough.

TRENDING THREADS