Your question

SSD as system disk

Tags:
  • SSD
  • Storage
Last response: in Storage
March 11, 2009 1:20:27 PM

Hi,

As I am about to upgrade my PC I came upon the SSD and the pros and cons it can bring. Trying to read everything about it on the net does not make things easier. I am considering having an Intel X25-something SSD as system disk but hear that there might be a considerable downside when writing many small files such as when surfing the web. Is this really the case? Has anybody tried having an SSD as a ssystem drive ("C:")? Comments from "the real world" are always welcome...

Regards,

Jonas B

More about : ssd system disk

March 11, 2009 5:41:25 PM

jberling said:
Hi,

As I am about to upgrade my PC I came upon the SSD and the pros and cons it can bring. Trying to read everything about it on the net does not make things easier. I am considering having an Intel X25-something SSD as system disk but hear that there might be a considerable downside when writing many small files such as when surfing the web. Is this really the case? Has anybody tried having an SSD as a ssystem drive ("C:")? Comments from "the real world" are always welcome...

Regards,

Jonas B

there are 2 main types of ssd's running around right now. mlc and slc. mlc drives dont handle multiple io streams very well ( lots of simultaneous reads and writes) slc drives do. the other side of the coin is slc drives are about 2-3X more expensive than mlc based drives.

i have an mlc drive in my laptop and its does ok for websurfing and word and the such. i wouldnt put one ( mlc drive) as the only drive in my desktop. swapfile and temp files would be on some other drive. that will help it out. all depends on what you use the pc for. a media center or lighter use machine would do ok with an mlc drive.

i've stuffed slc drives in servers at work and they dont seem to slow down at all.
March 11, 2009 6:19:55 PM

Ignatowski said:
there are 2 main types of ssd's running around right now. mlc and slc. mlc drives dont handle multiple io streams very well ( lots of simultaneous reads and writes) slc drives do. the other side of the coin is slc drives are about 2-3X more expensive than mlc based drives.

i have an mlc drive in my laptop and its does ok for websurfing and word and the such. i wouldnt put one ( mlc drive) as the only drive in my desktop. swapfile and temp files would be on some other drive. that will help it out. all depends on what you use the pc for. a media center or lighter use machine would do ok with an mlc drive.

i've stuffed slc drives in servers at work and they dont seem to slow down at all.

Thanks Ignatowski,

I've seen some tests of the Intel X25-series and it appears they have created a new controller that *might* solve these problems. Anyone having any hands-on experience of the X25?

Related resources
March 11, 2009 6:20:27 PM

Double post
March 31, 2009 4:38:54 PM

I am currently running vista on a OCZ 60 corev2. The drive is stand alone, haven't ordered a second one yet. Only thing i have on it is vista and CoD:WaW. i am getting 162/92 for read writes(near listed specs). Web surfing is near instantanious. Boot up is faster than a platter drive but yet slower than a raptor drive. Once I get a second drive in raid, i should be able to blow the raptor out of the water. Windows does take some tweaking to get a SSD set up, Ocz forums were the win for setting up an ssd!
!