Your question

AHCI

Tags:
  • NAS / RAID
  • Hard Drives
  • Storage
Last response: in Storage
March 11, 2009 7:37:25 PM

my mother is a P5Q-E,Hard Drive-WDC 2000JD SATA,installed a fresh copy of windows professional,install the AHCI drivers at F6,its running on IDE mode in the bios,when i try to switch to AHCI mode,my computer will not boot into windows,does anyone know why this is happening?thank you

More about : ahci

March 11, 2009 7:56:43 PM

Probably because it doesn't load and install the driver, since you run it on IDE mode in BIOS while installing Windows.

Try installing Windows with AHCI selected in BIOS, loading AHCI drivers at F6 prompt as you did before.
March 11, 2009 8:03:47 PM

When you do a fresh install your bios has to already be in AHCI. You know you haven't done it right when your fresh install doesn't see any hard drives. Re-do your install change your bios to AHCI first before you start the install.
Related resources
March 11, 2009 8:14:33 PM

AHCI requires different drives than IDE mode. you'll need to install drivers before it'll work.
March 11, 2009 8:25:28 PM

the only thing with that is,you have to keep activating windows,they only let you do it so many times,thx
March 11, 2009 8:34:17 PM

cooka said:
the only thing with that is,you have to keep activating windows,they only let you do it so many times,thx

There's a workaround where you can save the activation file so long as you haven't made a major change in hardware. Google it. And next time, get your computer working the way you want BEFORE you activate.
March 12, 2009 2:26:35 AM

OK,I tried doing it that way,went into the bios,switched to AHCI mode,pressed F10 to save,booted from the windows CD,pressed F6,installed the AHCI drives,then when it to install fresh copy of windows,I hit enter,now it says,SET UP DID NOT DETECT ANY HARD DISK DRIVES IN THIS COMPUTER.now what.does anyone know what the problem is?THX
March 12, 2009 3:00:15 AM

cooka said:
OK,I tried doing it that way,went into the bios,switched to AHCI mode,pressed F10 to save,booted from the windows CD,pressed F6,installed the AHCI drives,then when it to install fresh copy of windows,I hit enter,now it says,SET UP DID NOT DETECT ANY HARD DISK DRIVES IN THIS COMPUTER.now what.does anyone know what the problem is?THX

Yes, that means you haven't loaded the right driver. Which version of Windows is this?
March 12, 2009 3:16:22 AM

cooka said:

Buy retail it's wonderful I've been over my limit for activations on my xp for years i just have to make a call instead of the 1 sec activation i can do on the Internet say that it's the only computer this xp is installed on and why I'm reactivating blah blah blah and I'm good as done.
March 12, 2009 3:18:56 AM

cooka said:

I see that this motherboard has THREE SATA controllers, the Intel controller, a Mavell controller, and a Silicon Image controller. I'm assuming you're using the red ports.

You're supposed to be able to find the driver on the DVD, but I just looked at a similar Asus DVD and didn't find the Intel AHCI/RAID driver. Given that problem, the solution is to download the Intel AHCI/RAID driver from the Intel website.
March 13, 2009 4:53:01 PM

That's one thing that Vista makes easier. When I installed my system with AHCI and vista 64, I had no issues whatsoever. I also have a p5q board (mine is pro) and with the intel raid controller, I didn't need to worry about external drivers. You may want to consider getting vista?
a b G Storage
March 13, 2009 8:11:03 PM

Vista definitely makes it a lot easier - I didn't need any extra drivers at all for my RAID array either.
March 13, 2009 11:11:46 PM

Slipstreaming the driver and burn another XP CD is also pretty convenient.

Use nlite to do so.
May 6, 2009 1:04:43 AM

i have a dual boot xp pro 32 sp3 and vista 64 ultimate sp1. i could not get a successful driver install into xp for ahci until i used nlite to make a slip-streamed version.

i installed the slip-streamed xp pro first onto my D: drive partition first. i followed it up with a cold booted vista 64 ultimate install. i added the drivers under the "load driver" icon. the vista wanted to choose the c: drive on my first attemps and i did not want to mess anything up. this is why i forced xp pro on the d: partition first.

the system boots fine and allows me to choose the old windows version (xp) or vista. if you do not choose from the menu, it defaults to vista in 30 seconds.

i have tried close to a dozen installs and many tips from forums. this is the only way i succeeded.

both systems run in ahci mode with no issues.

my next plan is to install raid with another hard drive i have on the way. i plan to use the slip-stream method for the raid drivers as well. i have had such good luck this way.

good luck. i have spent many hours by trial and error. the individuals claiming f6 successfuls installs for ahci probably assume it worked b/c it booted into the os and ran fine. i would bet they are running sata in ide mode and don't know they are not.

i am a noobie and built my first system. my specs are as follows:

intel e5200 over-clocked @ 3.3 ghz (266X12.5)
ac freeze pro 7 cooler
4gig OCZ reaper ram @ 1066 (2gX2)
gigabyte ga-ep45-ud3lr
WD caviar se16 320 gig HD (2 partitions of 153000 and 152000)
2x - samsung 22x dvd+/- r burners with lightscribe
evga geforce gts 250 video card (512 mb)
used transformer gaming case from friend w 5 cooling fans (2 -120 mm and 3- 90 mm)
corsair tx 750 w power supply
May 6, 2009 1:49:18 AM

dgs75057 said:
the individuals claiming f6 successfuls installs for ahci probably assume it worked b/c it booted into the os and ran fine. i would bet they are running sata in ide mode and don't know they are not.

i am a noobie and built my first system. my specs are as follows:

Newbie, the F6 method is easy and that easiest way to know it works is this:

1.) You install XP without the AHCI drivers and the system WILL NOT BOOT
2.) You install XP with the AHCI drivers and the system WILL BOOT.

That of course assumes AHCI is enabled in BIOS.

The biggest problems with the F6 method is:

1.) It requires a floppy drive which most people don't want
2.) It requires a special driver package that some people can't easily find.
May 6, 2009 3:29:56 AM

i followed all of the steps by enabling AHCI in bios. i downloaded the drivers from intel. they were put on a floppy. i used one floppy for vista 64 bit and one for xp 32 bit. after numerous installs, no luck. these installs were all fresh hd wipes with wd disc to turn into all o's or 1's. set up partition from xp, formatted, etc. i used the floppy drive from my old computer. i was able to copy the drivers to the disk as directed. it loaded the drivers for xp(so it confirmed, but no luck). the drivers were loaded by the same method in vista. those worked. can't explain why it would not work. bsod each time. i put bios back to ide and it all worked. i'm a noobie when it comes to building, but have used and worked on many since the 70's. i would love for it to work b/c i assume i will be reloading when i set up the raid to get the appropriate drivers. Do you have a good source other than intel. these drivers were more updated than those from my mb disc.
May 6, 2009 4:30:07 AM

dgs75057 said:
i followed all of the steps by enabling AHCI in bios. i downloaded the drivers from intel. they were put on a floppy. i used one floppy for vista 64 bit and one for xp 32 bit. after numerous installs, no luck. these installs were all fresh hd wipes with wd disc to turn into all o's or 1's. set up partition from xp, formatted, etc. i used the floppy drive from my old computer. i was able to copy the drivers to the disk as directed. it loaded the drivers for xp(so it confirmed, but no luck). the drivers were loaded by the same method in vista. those worked. can't explain why it would not work. bsod each time. i put bios back to ide and it all worked. i'm a noobie when it comes to building, but have used and worked on many since the 70's. i would love for it to work b/c i assume i will be reloading when i set up the raid to get the appropriate drivers. Do you have a good source other than intel. these drivers were more updated than those from my mb disc.

I dowload whatever is at the motherboard's webpage. The only "problem" I have is that I always have to use the "chose additional drivers" prompt and pick the specific controller I'm using from the list.
May 7, 2009 12:48:42 AM

Thank you for the information.

I am aware of this document. My issue was not with Vista, but with the f6 method to install the AHCI drivers in XP Pro.

Here are the steps I followed with no result:

1) boot XP Pro 32 bit cd/dvd
2) hit f6 key when prompted for 3rd. party ahci/raid drivers
3) install disk into a: drive when prompted (with appropriate ahci 32 bit drivers)
4) select ich10r from populated list
5) watch the floppy spin and install drivers
6) watch xp install complete
7) re-boot
8) bsod
9) change bios back to ide from ahci to get os to boot
10) install only functions in ide

The same drivers from the xp 32 bit ahci driver floppy disk were inserted using nlite into the slip-streamed cd/dvd iso image. cd/dvd was burned. install was succesful. i know my a: drive functioned b/c it read the drivers when inserting into the nlite program and the slip-streamed disc performed a correct install that boots and runs in ahci. is it possible the f6 method is different in xp vs. xp pro? i have never tried an xp edition since i only have the xp pro 32 edition.

I really do appreciate the quick responses. i am still baffled why the f6 method does not work. when it comes down to the f6 method, it is pretty much a no-brainer to follow the prompts. one would think it would work as designed.
May 7, 2009 1:04:33 AM

Here are the names of the files from the xp 32 bit floppy disk:

iaahci.cat
iaahci.inf
iastor.cat
iaStor.inf
IaStor.sys
license.txt
TXTSETUP.OEM

Even though i selected the ich10r sata/ahci controller from the drop-down, could it have chosen the wrong drivers listed above from the disk? i believe the iastor.xxx files on the disk are for the ide mode? this is how they auto-install onto the floppy from the utility downloaded from intel.

Sorry to beat this to death. just don't want to see others pull their hair out and get it right the first time.
May 7, 2009 1:27:28 AM

Crashman said:
I dowload whatever is at the motherboard's webpage. The only "problem" I have is that I always have to use the "chose additional drivers" prompt and pick the specific controller I'm using from the list.

Crashman, Thank you for the responses. I have received my new 2nd. hdd. i want to set up a raid.

1) do i need to ask my raid questions under a raid section or can i continue on where i left off in the ahci comments.

2) can i add the raid drivers w/o re-installing both os's and integrate the second hdd into the raid format like i had read on some other blogs? they implied i could attach the 2nd. hdd and perform a function or method to turn it into a raid 0 w/o having to re-install anything. this would be a great short-cut.

as you can see i am in this with both feet. my original goal was to just build a pc. it turned into one hdd with xp pro, then dual boot w/ vista, then ide to ahci,and now raid.

May 7, 2009 2:12:22 AM

dgs75057 said:
Crashman, Thank you for the responses. I have received my new 2nd. hdd. i want to set up a raid.

1) do i need to ask my raid questions under a raid section or can i continue on where i left off in the ahci comments.

2) can i add the raid drivers w/o re-installing both os's and integrate the second hdd into the raid format like i had read on some other blogs? they implied i could attach the 2nd. hdd and perform a function or method to turn it into a raid 0 w/o having to re-install anything. this would be a great short-cut.

as you can see i am in this with both feet. my original goal was to just build a pc. it turned into one hdd with xp pro, then dual boot w/ vista, then ide to ahci,and now raid.

If you're already in AHCI mode you should be able to switch to a RAID mode from within Windows by adding the Intel storage manager program and using its built-in tools.

That's certainly easier than trying to do RAID level migration at a low level after making sure the drivers are loaded.
May 7, 2009 2:14:05 AM

dgs75057 said:
Here are the names of the files from the xp 32 bit floppy disk:

iaahci.cat
iaahci.inf
iastor.cat
iaStor.inf
IaStor.sys
license.txt
TXTSETUP.OEM

Even though i selected the ich10r sata/ahci controller from the drop-down, could it have chosen the wrong drivers listed above from the disk? i believe the iastor.xxx files on the disk are for the ide mode? this is how they auto-install onto the floppy from the utility downloaded from intel.

Sorry to beat this to death. just don't want to see others pull their hair out and get it right the first time.

I've never had a problem once I select the correct chipset from the list. The list usually included several Southbridges and modes.
May 7, 2009 3:52:32 AM

i selected the correct chipset as you stated. Only due to the slip-stream it is currently reflected in the device mgr as:
Intel(R) ICH10R SATA AHCI Controller with the driver 8.8.0.1009 of the same name.

As for the raid, i already downloaded the Intel Matrix Storage Console. I assume that is what you are referring to? There is a function called "Create RAID Volume from Existing Hard Drive" that allows the addition of another hdd and migration. i will review and let you know if i am successful. Thanks again for the information and quick response.
Anonymous
a b G Storage
August 28, 2009 1:20:25 AM

To install AHCI you need to do the following.

1, Set it in bios to use AHCI, If its not in your bios upgrade bios - else forget it. (use IDE)

2, ACHI has a drive CAPASITY LIMIT, will work on most 120, 250, 320Gig drive's but not higher (at time of testing) There has to be a list someware but I never found it.
620G,750G,1Tb,2Tb, drive dont seem to be supported at this time so a driver is needed, see your MB supplier for drive or fine a generic one.

3, Must have AHCI drive for your motherboard ready, I found individual drivers for disk drive did not always work. Not all installs will ask for driver, this depends on your MB.

Note, Some MB have an AHCI Controller inbuilt so you get a seemless install. Others will ask for the driver if needed.

Hope this helps

Roy.

a b G Storage
August 28, 2009 3:33:38 AM

HornGroller: AHCI works fine on 2TB drives. It does not have a capacity limit. As long as the drive supports it, you're fine.
!