Sign in with
Your question

Will formatting help?

Last response: in Storage
March 11, 2009 11:25:08 PM

Hey guys, my drivers never install correctly, it says an error about some Nvidia main display file. So the drivers don't install, then my Vista update thing installs it again, it restarts, you can see it POST, then when it loads windows it doesn't show the screen it loses input.

I have to system restore, Driver problems with my video card have been happening since I upgraded to SLI.

So should I format, my computer is starting to run like a bitch, and half of my hard drive is gone but I don't know why. So if I format will this whole driver problem stop?

More about : formatting

a b \ Driver
a b G Storage
March 12, 2009 5:08:01 AM

It sounds like you simply need to install the video card drivers from the supplied disc or the manufacturers website.

However, it shouldn't have anything to do with your HD being filled up. What size is it? What is on it?
March 12, 2009 10:05:18 AM

aford10 said:
It sounds like you simply need to install the video card drivers from the supplied disc or the manufacturers website.

However, it shouldn't have anything to do with your HD being filled up. What size is it? What is on it?

Any drivers messed up when I do it, from disc and manufacturer. I want to format because I'm guessing my display driver files are screwed up and I should format, my hard drive is a 500GB, I have 200GB left and I have only like 8 games installed and 5gb of music. It shouldn't be that filled up.
Related resources
March 12, 2009 1:37:23 PM

As drastic as formatting would seem be in a situation like this, you could be done with that in a matter of hours... Or you could possibly spend days and weeks trying to fix it without formatting.. I would format..
March 12, 2009 6:15:59 PM

blackened144 said:
As drastic as formatting would seem be in a situation like this, you could be done with that in a matter of hours... Or you could possibly spend days and weeks trying to fix it without formatting.. I would format..

Thats what I plan on doing. I am formatting on Friday so I have time to do everything correctly. ( I go to school)

And when I format, will I have to install Motherboards bios again? Or just the motherboards CD with the chipset software with the rest of needed software?
a b \ Driver
a b G Storage
March 12, 2009 8:30:57 PM

You will just need to install the mobo and video drivers (maybe a couple others). Just check the device manager after installing the mobo and video drivers. You will be able to see in there if there are any devices with conflicts.
March 12, 2009 8:35:27 PM

aford10 said:
You will just need to install the mobo and video drivers (maybe a couple others). Just check the device manager after installing the mobo and video drivers. You will be able to see in there if there are any devices with conflicts.

Alrighty, been backing up my music and saved games. Anything else I should do?
a b \ Driver
a b G Storage
March 12, 2009 10:48:34 PM

You should be fine as long as you have the drivers for the mobo and network device.
March 13, 2009 12:01:11 AM

aford10 said:
You should be fine as long as you have the drivers for the mobo and network device.

That is the Chipset support CD right?
a b \ Driver
a b G Storage
March 13, 2009 1:06:46 AM

Yes, it should've came with the motherboard.
March 13, 2009 6:23:37 PM

Alright I'm about to format. Anything else I should do?
March 13, 2009 6:35:15 PM

just out of curiousty, did you try loading windows in safe mode, uninstalling the nVidia control panel and running driver sweeper, and then installing the drivers? that might fix your problem without having to format your drive
March 13, 2009 6:40:45 PM

kyeana said:
just out of curiousty, did you try loading windows in safe mode, uninstalling the nVidia control panel and running driver sweeper, and then installing the drivers? that might fix your problem without having to format your drive

Sort of. I need to format anyways. Half of my hard drive is missing.
March 13, 2009 6:42:33 PM

i missed that. +1 format
March 16, 2009 3:31:19 AM

Half of your hard drive missing is a partition problem... not a format problem.
March 16, 2009 10:02:20 AM

mamw93 said:

Already formatted, and everything worked fine. Things run hella smoother now too.
March 16, 2009 3:36:09 PM

mamw93 said:

My understanding is that it isn't actually missing, just filled up with stuff that he doesn't know what is.

Anyways im glad the formatting solved everything.
!