Sign in with
Your question

how do i obtain an ftp address

Last response: in Networking
October 5, 2008 10:10:16 PM

ok im looking into building an ftp server soon and ive been doing research all week but how do i obtain an ftp address that i can log into via any internet browser or ftp client?

More about : obtain ftp address

October 5, 2008 10:36:27 PM

Depends on wether you want to use a URL or not. Lets assume your IP address is: 66.223.34.55

You would setup portforwarding on your router to push all FTP traffic on port 21 to the internal IP of your FTP server (most likely 192.168.1.*).

Open up any web browser, type in: ftp://66.223.34.55 Assuming its been done correctly and you have no sucrity enabled, you should see the directory contents of your server :) 

If you want to use a URL, first you need to register a domain name. Then you need to change the DNS address of the domain to your IP.

ie: you register www.myawesomesite.com and set the IP address to 66.223.35.56. This way, anyone in the world who browses so ftp://www.myawesomesite.com will see the files in your FTP server directory.

Edit* LOL turns out those are actual sites and the person has a protected FTP server.
!