stouffej

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2009
I have an ASUS MB with a Marvell Raid controller. I have two drives in a RAID 0 configuration. I had a short in my SATA cable and the logical drive failed to load because of the "missing" drive. I put a new cable in and the drive can be seen again in the Marvell utility but it is not associated to the logical drive anymore.

The drive still associated to the logical drive shows Parent Device Port ID = 1 and Physical ID = 1
the drive no longer associated shows Parent Device Port ID = 0 and Physical ID = 0

All other drive details are the same. No data has been modified since replacing the cable on either drive. Can anyone tell me how to get this one drive to join back into the logical drive?

You have to try to rebuild the array. I don't have much experience w/ raid 0. I know in raid 5, you just have to rebuild the array and add the new hardware in the array.

In raid 0, you don't have a parity or mirrored drive, so I'm not sure if it'll work or not.

Make sure the RAID controller is still enabled, and your regular BIOS is still set for type of array you have...sometimes it will change to operate from a single drive if the array is broken.....then, go into the RAID BIOS and simply re-establish the array, DO NOT REBUILD IT.
Make sure the 2 drives are still listed as a striped set, if they are not, highlight and put them back into a striped set but again, do not rebuild it!
If the array has not degraded too far, the controller will pick them back up and re-establish the array.
Backup, backup, backup, backup, cannot say this enough for all you people running RAID.......

A drive doesn't just magically rejoin the array, you have to rebuild it. It can be done without wiping out the data. You just have to edit the existing array instead of deleting it and creating a new one. If the array fails or a drive fails, it's gone.

If windows is installed on an array, such as raid 0, it splits everything between the two drives. Including the system files. Without 1/2 of the array, it can't operate. That would only work from an array with a mirrored or parity drive.

stouffej

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2009
When I review the information for the Logical drive it does not show the the drive with the failed cable as being a member. It only shows the drive that had no problems. When I click on the drives tab in the utility it shows both drives. One in a "part assign" status and the other in a "free" status. On the logical tab the options to initialize and rebuild are both greyed out.

The drive itself did not fail so I know the data is there if I could get the disk back into the array.

I checked the bios and it is set correctly and the raid controller can see both disks but says the logical drive is incomplete.