System won't power up

Tygris

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2008
Hey guys,

Well, I built my new system last night, and it won't power up. I plug it in, turn the PS on, I see the green LED on the MB go on, then I hit the power button. Here are my observations when I hit the power button:
* No fans spin -- not even the PSU or CPU fans
* The System Power LED on my case turns on
* 3 other LEDS throughout my case turn on for a second and then go off.

That's it. To try troubleshooting, I stripped everything but the essentials. Still, nothing.

I also tried testing the PSU. I inserted a paperclip into the green and black wire connectors, as instructed in the manual for the test. I unhooked it from the MB, turned it on, and the fan spun for maybe 5 seconds and just went off. At least the fan spun, but the fact that it stopped spinning after 5 seconds leads me to question if the test was successful or not.

Any ideas? I've built 5 systems and have never had this problem. I think either my PSU, MB, or Processor is defective.

Here are my specs:

Intel Extreme Series DX75XBX2 MB
Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 Processor
Corsair DDR2 Twin2x2048-6400C4 Ram
Thermaltake ToughPower 700 W PS

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

roadrunner197069

Splendid
Sep 3, 2007
Do you have the 20/24 pin to the motherboard and the 4/8 pin connected to to cpu as well?

If you jumped the PSU right it will stay running until you unjump it. If it doesnt stay on while jumped it is shot. Check and make sure the voltage on the back is set right.

bob8701

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2006
sound like psu problem, the psu should stay on all the time when clip is short between green and black. do you have a dvm to check voltage?