Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

What to upgrade to... ?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
February 22, 2008 3:48:55 AM

System GT5636e quad core, 4 gb ram... monitor LG L222wt. psu 400w, most likely have to upgrade.

want to upgrade video card... like the 8800gt, but reviews mostly good but some talk about fan issues & heating problems. Is the 8800gt for the most part stable, and the 29% fan speed, how easy to fix (seems to be a recurring theme amongst the various makes). Also, psu, suggestions? I know there's a few different questions similar to this, but with the 9600gt coming out, wanted the latest thoughts on the whole card issue... really don't know whether to go with the 880gt, 9600gt, 3870, or some other choice. Due to case size, 8800gt is about as big as I can go in regards to card size. Any help much appreciated.

More about : upgrade

February 22, 2008 3:59:44 AM

Id go with a antec power supply, but hey thats what i use, and it works well, and yes some 8800 gt's have heating issues and run pretty hot so read up on what people are using right now. You will want your power supply around 500 watts, and remember to check the rails to make sure your geting enough power to your videocard.
February 22, 2008 4:01:18 AM

You should have mentioned the fact it's a Gateway.

I own 2 GT's and they run great but you have to look at the cooling in your Gateway case. Also I would be concerned about your PSU being able to handle the load, is your PSU and the area that it mounts standard size?. As for the 29% fan speed download Rivatuner and increase it, it takes about 2 clicks. I run both my GT's at 75% fan speed all the time and I get about 40c idle and 60c load and the fan noise is barely noticeable.
Related resources
February 22, 2008 10:46:51 AM

Thnx for the info... out of curiousity, which GTs are you running?
February 22, 2008 11:22:07 AM

Evga GT 512 stock speed SLI.
a c 272 U Graphics card
February 22, 2008 5:45:18 PM

ausch30 said:
the fan noise is barely noticeable.

:heink:  :lol:  , I have to question your hearing dude :lol:  , my XFX cards are not that quiet when idling and during a heavy gaming session I've had corpses knocking on my door demanding I keep the noise down so's they can rest in peace :lol:  .
February 22, 2008 7:09:38 PM

Thats what i hear also, gt's can get pretty loud, my gts (g92) is pretty darn quite though, with the fan speed at max, only i can hear the fans, other people in the room cant.
a c 272 U Graphics card
February 22, 2008 8:04:48 PM

blacksci said:
i can hear the fans, other people in the room cant.

I get that with the 'voices' :whistle: 
February 22, 2008 8:14:33 PM

LOL, its only when you start to answer them that you have something to worry about.
a c 272 U Graphics card
February 22, 2008 8:21:30 PM

Now I'm worried.
February 22, 2008 8:25:30 PM

You should be.
February 22, 2008 8:36:40 PM

Mousemonkey said:
:heink:  :lol:  , I have to question your hearing dude :lol:  , my XFX cards are not that quiet when idling and during a heavy gaming session I've had corpses knocking on my door demanding I keep the noise down so's they can rest in peace :lol:  .




You can hear them but when combined with my other 6 case fans, PSU fan, NB fan and CPU fan they are barely noticable. You can set Rivatuner to automatically adjust fan speed depending on temps or manually change it and when your gaming you either have headphones on or your speakers turned up so you won't hear them anyway.
a c 272 U Graphics card
February 22, 2008 8:56:35 PM

ausch30 said:
You can hear them but when combined with my other 6 case fans, PSU fan, NB fan and CPU fan they are barely noticable. You can set Rivatuner to automatically adjust fan speed depending on temps or manually change it and when your gaming you either have headphones on or your speakers turned up so you won't hear them anyway.

I've been using a Rotel power amp and a pair of B & W floor standers so far, which has worked, to a fashion :whistle:  . But this weekend I might have a go at fitting the VF900's from my old 7900GT's.
!