Sign in with
Your question

Insearch of new heatsink/fan

Last response: in Components
March 8, 2008 9:41:38 PM

Hey

I need some suggestions in replacing the current stock heatsink/fan in my computer. I am not sure what the exact dimensions are and what type of fan to get, so I wanted to see if i can get some help here.

Here are the spec's of my Sony Viao PCV-RS720G http://www3.dealtime.com/xPF-Sony-VAIO-Digital-Studio-PC-RS720G
* Processor: 3.00 GHz Intel Pentium 4
* System Bus Speed: 800 MHz
* Number of Processors: 1
* RAM: 512 MB
* RAM Type: DDR SDRAM
* Motherboard: ASUS PTGD-VX
* Manf.: Sony(Viao PCV-RS720G)

I have been told that my that my socket is -- Socket Type Socket LGA775

The reason for searching for a new component is because everytime, I literally browse the internet, for example youtube, my fan just goes absolutely nuts, the fan starts spinning at really high rpm, probably because of the heat, but I wanted to get a new fan that be silent or atleast not as loud as my current. The other issue is I was having trouble deciding what size to get, I'll include some pictures, hopefully you guys can help me out.

Thanks in Advance

More about : insearch heatsink fan

March 8, 2008 11:00:41 PM

Try the Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro. Excellent cooling capacity, nice and quiet, and it's a really good price too.
March 8, 2008 11:19:28 PM

Based on the review on the dealtime link, it seems that others have noticed the noise, too. The tricky part of the issue is that the problem may have to do with poor overall case airflow, a noisy CPU cooler, or both. Based on your photos, I certainly would stick with a stock Intel CPU cooler or similar "downdraft-style" cooler, since it looks like the northbridge and PWM area rely for their cooling on the air blowing down and out from such coolers. Unfortunately, the Freezer 7 Pro, while a nice cooler, is NOT a downdraft-style cooler.
Here's what I would do:
1) Buy a stock "official" Intel Pentium 4 CPU cooler on ebay. Many people have extra/unused ones and sell them for $10-20. Make sure it came with a Pentium 4, not a newer Core2Duo, as the Pentium 4s (like your CPU) run hotter than the newer CPUs, and needed better coolers. The Intel branded coolers are good quality and likely substantially quieter than your current one. Make sure the cooler's original thermal compound is intact (the cooler hasn't been used).
Here are some installation instructions: http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/194385-31-part-assemb...
2) If that doesn't help enough, buy a case fan to improve the exhaust airflow from your computer. This could be in addition to or just replacing a current exhaust fan.
Related resources
March 9, 2008 8:27:29 PM

@mondoman
Thats weird, I knew heard of your theory but makes sense, since the current case is steal kind of thing, and only has airflow on one side(the back)...but If i get a downdraft style cooler, would that help more than the other such as artic cooler, since they are upward, and i think they match the height of the case fan, so the air blows in and then gets cooled? You can kind of see my case fan on the pics there, towards the bottom edge.
March 10, 2008 1:25:39 AM

All I'm saying is that if you do NOT get a downdraft-style cooler, you may end up with system instability due to northbridge and PWM area overheating.
March 14, 2008 1:23:30 AM

Oh thats not good, I'll have to look into some downdraft-style coolers then , If you guys have any suggestions, please feel free to post them.
March 14, 2008 3:25:10 PM

back 478 pin socket, xp 90/xp 120 were poplar choice.
March 14, 2008 10:56:56 PM

bob8701 said:
back 478 pin socket, xp 90/xp 120 were poplar choice.

Uh..is there anyway you can provide a link or something, I am a noob to hardware atleast things like this. I am not sure what the xp 90/xp 120 were?
!