Connect Palm to PC internet connection

May 26, 2004 9:41:24 PM

Does anyone know a free way to connect a Palm device to a PC's internet
connection? So that I could read a web page on my Palm device? There is
software called Softick PPP that is supposed to do this, but it is not free.
My PC doesn't have Bluetooth and I don't have WiFi.
May 26, 2004 10:16:07 PM

This
http://www.users.globalnet.co.uk/~echobase/network/win2...
article is interesting, but I have a laptop and when I try to setup a "null
modem" connection, I find out that I have NO COM ports. I wonder if this is
possible with USB.

"Mike" <mikeotown@nospam.msn.com> wrote in message
> Does anyone know a free way to connect a Palm device to a PC's internet
> connection? So that I could read a web page on my Palm device? There is
> software called Softick PPP that is supposed to do this, but it is not
free.
> My PC doesn't have Bluetooth and I don't have WiFi.

Anonymous
May 27, 2004 7:33:12 AM

There are USB->Serial converters that will turn a perfectly good USB port
into a serial COM port. :)

There are also products that will synch web pages to the Palm so that you
can read them "offline" and therefore you wouldn't be tethered to your PC by
a cable.

Since you don't have wireless capability I am curious as to why you would
want to do this? The combination of a small screen and Palm browser SW does
not make for the best web surfing experience. Since you essentially will be
tied to the PC by a relatively short cable I wonder why you would do that
instead of just using your PCs web browser? (Other than "because I can....")

Cheers
TC

> This
> http://www.users.globalnet.co.uk/~echobase/network/win2...
> article is interesting, but I have a laptop and when I try to setup a
"null
> modem" connection, I find out that I have NO COM ports. I wonder if this
is
> possible with USB.
>
> "Mike" <mikeotown@nospam.msn.com> wrote in message
> > Does anyone know a free way to connect a Palm device to a PC's internet
> > connection? So that I could read a web page on my Palm device? There
is
> > software called Softick PPP that is supposed to do this, but it is not
> free.
> > My PC doesn't have Bluetooth and I don't have WiFi.

Related resources
May 27, 2004 1:19:06 PM

It is for a commercial application - not for casual web browsing. My
company makes software for hospital pharmacies. The pharmacies don't have
WiFi and they use Palms to enter information and we want them to be able to
send the information to our web server easily. We are currently doing this
with a conduit, but with the Pocket PC you don't need a conduit since the
Pocket PC can connect to our web site directly through a USB cable and a PC
with an internet connection. We would like to be able to do the same with a
Palm.

Do you know where I can find one of these USB -> Serial converters?

"Tony Clark" <curiousgeorge1964@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> There are USB->Serial converters that will turn a perfectly good USB port
> into a serial COM port. :)
>
> There are also products that will synch web pages to the Palm so that you
> can read them "offline" and therefore you wouldn't be tethered to your PC
by
> a cable.
>
> Since you don't have wireless capability I am curious as to why you would
> want to do this? The combination of a small screen and Palm browser SW
does
> not make for the best web surfing experience. Since you essentially will
be
> tied to the PC by a relatively short cable I wonder why you would do that
> instead of just using your PCs web browser? (Other than "because I
can....")

> Cheers
> TC
>
> "Mike" <mikeotown@nospam.msn.com> wrote in message
> > This
> > http://www.users.globalnet.co.uk/~echobase/network/win2...
> > article is interesting, but I have a laptop and when I try to setup a
> "null
> > modem" connection, I find out that I have NO COM ports. I wonder if
this
> is
> > possible with USB.
> >
> > "Mike" <mikeotown@nospam.msn.com> wrote in message
> > > Does anyone know a free way to connect a Palm device to a PC's
internet
> > > connection? So that I could read a web page on my Palm device? There
> is
> > > software called Softick PPP that is supposed to do this, but it is not
> > free.
> > > My PC doesn't have Bluetooth and I don't have WiFi.

Anonymous
May 27, 2004 6:26:43 PM

> It is for a commercial application - not for casual web browsing. My
> company makes software for hospital pharmacies. The pharmacies don't have
> WiFi and they use Palms to enter information and we want them to be able
> send the information to our web server easily. We are currently doing
this
> with a conduit, but with the Pocket PC you don't need a conduit since the
> Pocket PC can connect to our web site directly through a USB cable and a
PC
> with an internet connection. We would like to be able to do the same with
> Palm.
>
> Do you know where I can find one of these USB -> Serial converters?

There are several companies that make them. Belkin, Targus, DLink. A Google
search on "USB to Serial" will give you several places to buy them. If you
live near a CompUSA or a Staples they probably have them in stock.

Cheers
TC

SNIP
May 27, 2004 6:26:44 PM

You are talking about hardware converters? I actually just want software
that will trick Windows into thinking my USB port is a COM port. The Palm
devices we use come with USB cables only so I don't know if a device that
converts USB to serial would help.

"Tony Clark" <curiousgeorge1964@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:D Umtc.12591$Tn6.6725@newsread1.news.pas.earthlink.net...

> "Mike" <mikeotown@nospam.msn.com> wrote in message
> > It is for a commercial application - not for casual web browsing. My
> > company makes software for hospital pharmacies. The pharmacies don't
have
> > WiFi and they use Palms to enter information and we want them to be able
> > send the information to our web server easily. We are currently doing
> this
> > with a conduit, but with the Pocket PC you don't need a conduit since
the
> > Pocket PC can connect to our web site directly through a USB cable and a
> PC
> > with an internet connection. We would like to be able to do the same
with
> > Palm.
> >
> > Do you know where I can find one of these USB -> Serial converters?
> >

> There are several companies that make them. Belkin, Targus, DLink. A
Google
> search on "USB to Serial" will give you several places to buy them. If you
> live near a CompUSA or a Staples they probably have them in stock.
>
> Cheers
> TC
>
> SNIP

Anonymous
May 27, 2004 9:38:35 PM

On Thu, 27 May 2004 09:19:06 -0400, Mike wrote:

> It is for a commercial application - not for casual web browsing. My
> company makes software for hospital pharmacies. The pharmacies don't
> have WiFi and they use Palms to enter information and we want them to be
> able to send the information to our web server easily. We are currently
> doing this with a conduit, but with the Pocket PC you don't need a
> conduit since the Pocket PC can connect to our web site directly through
> a USB cable and a PC with an internet connection. We would like to be
> able to do the same with a Palm.

It is unfortunate you run Windows, because this works now, and has
since ~1996 in the Linux and Unix world, using pilot-link, without having
to install anything additional on the Palm or desktop/server at all.

Contact me privately, if you want to discuss how this is done, or
if you want me to help you deploy a working solution using "free" tools on
Windows for you.
Anonymous
May 28, 2004 4:50:49 AM

Ahh, from earlier posts you mentioned that there was no COM port on the
laptop so I thought you needed a 9 pin serial connection.

I'll have to drop back and regroup and see if there is a way to do this
directly through the USB port.

Cheers
TC

> You are talking about hardware converters? I actually just want software
> that will trick Windows into thinking my USB port is a COM port. The Palm
> devices we use come with USB cables only so I don't know if a device that
> converts USB to serial would help.
>
> "Tony Clark" <curiousgeorge1964@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> news:D Umtc.12591$Tn6.6725@newsread1.news.pas.earthlink.net...
> >
> > "Mike" <mikeotown@nospam.msn.com> wrote in message
> > > It is for a commercial application - not for casual web browsing. My
> > > company makes software for hospital pharmacies. The pharmacies don't
> have
> > > WiFi and they use Palms to enter information and we want them to be
able
> > > send the information to our web server easily. We are currently doing
> > this
> > > with a conduit, but with the Pocket PC you don't need a conduit since
> the
> > > Pocket PC can connect to our web site directly through a USB cable and
> > PC
> > > with an internet connection. We would like to be able to do the same
> with
> > > Palm.
> > >
> > > Do you know where I can find one of these USB -> Serial converters?
> > >

> > There are several companies that make them. Belkin, Targus, DLink. A
> Google
> > search on "USB to Serial" will give you several places to buy them. If
you
> > live near a CompUSA or a Staples they probably have them in stock.
> >
> > Cheers
> > TC
> >
> > SNIP

May 28, 2004 1:24:35 PM

I would love for you to help me deploy a working solution using "free" tools
on Windows. By the way, the problem is not that I run Windows, it's that my
clients run Windows.

> It is unfortunate you run Windows, because this works now, and has
> since ~1996 in the Linux and Unix world, using pilot-link, without having
> to install anything additional on the Palm or desktop/server at all.
>
> Contact me privately, if you want to discuss how this is done, or
> if you want me to help you deploy a working solution using "free" tools on
> Windows for you.
May 29, 2004 4:36:31 PM

Mike enlightened us with:

> I would love for you to help me deploy a working solution using
> "free" tools on Windows. By the way, the problem is not that I run
> Windows, it's that my clients run Windows.
>

> > It is unfortunate you run Windows, because this works now, and has
> > since ~1996 in the Linux and Unix world, using pilot-link, without
> > having to install anything additional on the Palm or desktop/server
> > at all.
> >
> > Contact me privately, if you want to discuss how this is done, or
> > if you want me to help you deploy a working solution using "free"
> > tools on Windows for you.

Hi Mike and David,

This thread has caught my eye - I too have been searching for such a
method but with little success except the above mentioned Softick PPP
and a similar software called Plug2Net.

My need is slightly different only in that I don't wish to deploy this
method in a software - thus I have wondered if it might be simpler in
this situation to configure Win32 manually?

To my surprise I haven't found any reference to such a method, although
its not a surprise to learn that this has been integrally implemented
on *nix for years. David, if your kind offer could be extended to help
my cause I would be most grateful.

--
Chris
http://mytreo.net - for owners of the Treo smartphone

On Sat, 29 May 2004 12:36:31 +0000, Chris wrote:

> My need is slightly different only in that I don't wish to deploy this
> method in a software -

[snip]

> To my surprise I haven't found any reference to such a method, although
> its not a surprise to learn that this has been integrally implemented on
> *nix for years.

Most things are available in the Unix world LONG before they are
available on the desktop for Windows users (file-level security,
journaling, etc.)

> David, if your kind offer could be extended to help my cause I would be
> most grateful.

I'm not sure I understand your need. You want this done entirely
in "hardware"? You said above, you don't want to do it in software. Are
you looking for someone to make you free hardware cards/cables/dongles
that will do this for you?
Anonymous
July 15, 2004 5:00:32 AM

Hi,

I got a very similar issue (also using a Palm TT3 to try to connect to the
web through my craddle connection to my Windows 2000 laptop): when setting
up the null modem I was only offered a COM1 port to choose... (and thought
the PS2 mouse would be using this). So the Palm never succeeded in
connecting to the PPP component...

Any idea how I should work around this issue ?

Thanks a lot in advance,

Arnie

!