How to shutdown Windows Messenger?

gerlad0

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2010
Hello,
Don't see where to shutdown Windows Messenger on WIndows XP (Adobe Flash uninstall requires it).
Nothing appears in the Task Tray. Where do I look?
Thanks

Solution

Start>Settings>Control Panel>Administrative Tools>Services>Messenger>(right-click), Disable

Or...

Start>Run>Gpedit.msc>User Configuration>Administrative Templates>Windows Componets>Windows Messenger>Do not allow Windows Messenger to be run

These two items concern two different "Messenger" programs:

The first is the "Windows Messenger" used for administrative purposes. This messenger allows making a pop-up message appear over a network.

The second is ... Hey... "Windows Messenger"... used like AOL "AIM", a buddy-chat system.

Choose which "Messenger" you...
click start, click run, type msconfig, push enter
look in the services, look in the startup...
you may be able to stop it running from there.

push control alt delete
click process tab
try to find it on the list, select it, and click end process

click my computer, click control panel, click add remove programs, find it on the list, delete it.

As I recall, windows messenger was shut down by Service pack 2.

Start>Settings>Control Panel>Administrative Tools>Services>Messenger>(right-click), Disable

Or...

Start>Run>Gpedit.msc>User Configuration>Administrative Templates>Windows Componets>Windows Messenger>Do not allow Windows Messenger to be run

These two items concern two different "Messenger" programs:

The first is the "Windows Messenger" used for administrative purposes. This messenger allows making a pop-up message appear over a network.

The second is ... Hey... "Windows Messenger"... used like AOL "AIM", a buddy-chat system.

Choose which "Messenger" you want to disable, or both.

Solution

gerlad0

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2010
BTW: Was only able to get Flash Player to work properly (was always seeing a message that I needed to install - despite the fact that the installer indicated successful completion via the Progress bar) by Enabling the Flash Shockwave Object under IE's "Manage Add-Ons".
What I am still confused about is that the Shockwave Object Add-On doesn't always appear (even when its Enabled!!).