Hack/Change names of Devices in Device Manager .. Possible?

rekta

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2008
Hi all,

Is there a way to change the names of your devices in the device manager? For example, I really have an AMD64 3000+ procie and it shows correctly the device manager +processors ...

Can I change to AMD64 4000+ or Intel blabla .. or what ever name I choose?

Is there a registry hack or device ID hack of some sort? Of course, it should not jeopardize the system in anyway.

Just cosmetics! .. I know this can be done in a mac .. i was just wondering if this can be done in windows as well.

Thank you.

jprevost

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2007
Why? So you can get more money for tricking somebody on ebay? j/k, or maybe not, I really don't know you but I'd still like to know why you started thinking about doing this. "I was just wondering" needs to be more specific if you want a good reply.
I personally would like to know how to do this myself but not to change the processor name but instead the USB hubs. It pains me to have to keep going through all of the same named hubs to find where my devices are connected :) . Would be neat to just rename them "USB front top" etc.

rekta

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2008

Lol .. I knew someone would say that .. hahah. Nah, it started with a small talk with my friend that owns a mac .. he showed me that it can be done .. so .. he's like boasting about it .. I was just thinking/hoping that maybe ..it can be done in a PC .. so I can fight back .. lol

Its like an on going debate :D

No bad intentions here :D I love my PC and I wouldnt sell it on ebay :D heheh

And AFAIK, you can't edit or fake the BIOS detecting the procie right? I hope I'm right because thats a scary thought :D

EDIT: If this is possible, this could serve as a warning to some people buying at ebay or anywhere else :D

It's a computer. It's made of software and hardware. All of it can be tweaked, modded, and rebuilt. There is a way to do it. I would guess the registry is the path, too. But, there is a way. If there was a way to put it up there, there's a way to change it.

joefriday

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2006
He he.

untitled2.jpg

rekta

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2008

Cool .. it worked .. thank you so much .. :D Youre the best.

Do you also know how to change the actual processor name in the device manager .. under the "+processor"?

Thanks

Zorg

Splendid
May 31, 2004
See it's not the Macs I hate it's the borderline retarded Mac users. If that is all he has to boast about, then tell him to get a life.

Wait, your buddy is 11 years old? That would almost explain it.

rekta

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2008
lol .. i also wonder .. why do they boast a lot!

I also feel like a kid trying to fight back .. lol

He always boast about his new macbook ... anyway ... thanks for the replies

rekta

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2008
hahaha .. yeah .. the only thing is when I restart, it goes back to the original CPU :(

Im still trying to figure out on how to make it permanent

rekta

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2008

Word! I'm telling him not to act that way .. its like his ego spiked up after buying that white thing :D

Since he's my friend, I can understand him.

chiadog

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2007

That is hilarious. I am gonna steal that banana fruitcake idea :lol:

markkram

Honorable
Jun 2, 2012
Hey guys

Know this an old thread but couldn't help chipping in with an answer.. :eek:)

It's pretty simple to change any device name in your device manager to whatever you want!
It can be done by modifying the .inf file used by the device you are renaming.
Modifying the .inf file will automatically modify the registry values the device reads from.

Here’s how

You will need to know what driver your device is using so open device manager, go to the properties of the device you are modifying, select the details tab and scroll to "inf name" and select it.

This will give you the name of the .inf file you are looking for so now ya gotta go find it.
The easiest way is to find it is to unhide hidden system folders and do a plain old search otherwise it should be in c:\windows\inf

After you find it and open it you will need to do a search within notepad for the name the device is currently called
This should bring you to the line you need to modify. I can’t say exactly what the line of code will look like as all inf's are different depending on complexity but it will have along the lines of "DeviceDesc" at the start of the line followed by the name of the device you are looking for, It doesn’t hurt to read some of the file to get your bearings.

Now you can replace the name in the file with whatever you like just make sure you keep the quotation marks at both ends of the name. Save the file and restart your machine.

This will work for most of devices I’ve had some that are too complicated to bother with so in that case I registry hack is the easiest way to do it.

To modify the name directly from the registry (stoping the registry value from querying the .inf file for name details) you need to get the value for the driver key so again open device manager go to the properties of the device you want to modify, click details tab then scroll down to "driver key" and click it, copy the string then open reg edit and do a search for that string. It should bring you directly to the registry key you are looking for.
You will need to delete the entire value data for the "DeviceDesc" string (you will notice it points to the .inf file for the name) and replace it with just the name you want to name your device. After you are done save, exit and reboot

Hope this helps someone..
Mark