Pcie ssd non-bootable?

montyuk

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2008
yep. it needs another drive to hold the os so the system can boot, once the systems running and the software that runs the drive (im assuming you mean the iodrive) is loaded, the drive can be used.

kyeana

Distinguished
May 21, 2008
i would venture a guess that as these pcie ssd's start gaining more headway, someone is going to release a high end mobo that will be able to boot from these. Those speeds are just too good to stay away from (if you can afford the price tag) :(

SSD speed:
We'll soon have reliable read/write maxing out the SATA2 at 300MB/second and not too much later SATA3 at 600MB/sec. If we add in the effect of 4GB+ of System RAM, the ability to Hibernate (who hard boots everyday?) and the low seek times of a good SSD then even quadrupling the speed that your Operating System runs on actually makes little real world difference.

Again, it would be nearly impossible to tell the difference between these two systems in real-world usage except for when loading large games or programs. E-mail apps like Outlook will be entirely in the RAM in these cases:

1) Windows 7 (RTM+), 6GB, any new CPU, SSD (250MB/s read; 250MB/s write)

2) Windows 7 (RTM+), 6GB, any new CPU, SSD PCIe (1000MB/s read; 1000MB/s write)

Conversely, the following system would be noticeably SLOWER for general usage:

3) Windows 7 (RTM+), 2GB, any new CPU, SSD (1000MB/s read; 1000MB/s write)

MRAM:
Magnetic RAM, or similar non-volatile (no power to store data) is the future of storage and what I consider the most important future change in the computer. MRAM uses probably less than 0.1% of the power of current RAM. Couple with proper power management it's conceivable that a high-end gaming system in ten years could surf the Internet using less than 2 Watts (not counting the monitor.)

lejay

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2009

One of us is high - I'm not sure who.
Exactly how is hibernation going to increase OS speed??
Because SSDs have low seek times, high speed drives will not make your OS faster??

I think quadrupling the speed of my OS will have the real world difference of quadrupling my OS speed.

Modern Operating Systems like Windows load the important Windows and application programs into your System RAM. With plenty of RAM you can often avoid accessing the hard drive at all.

I mention HIBERNATION because this avoids the need to do a hard boot which IS limited by the speed of the SSD or Hard Drive. It is true that entering and exiting HIBERNATION is also limited by the SSD or Hard Drive's average write or read speed but that's only a few seconds at the end or beginning of your session.

Windows 7 is really being further optimized to make full use of the RAM.

An example of using RAM properly is say, booting Windows XP from being fully OFF. Now load a program like WORD. I've seen some programs take up to 30 seconds to load. Close it then open it again. BAM! It takes only one second. This is because Windows kept the program in RAM if you had enough so it accessed it from RAM instead of your hard drive.

So it's likely that drive speed times will mostly only matter when loading a Video game.

Modern Operating Systems like Windows load the important Windows and application programs into your System RAM. With plenty of RAM you can often avoid accessing the hard drive at all.

I mention HIBERNATION because this avoids the need to do a hard boot which IS limited by the speed of the SSD or Hard Drive. It is true that entering and exiting HIBERNATION is also limited by the SSD or Hard Drive's average write or read speed but that's only a few seconds at the end or beginning of your session.

Windows 7 is really being further optimized to make full use of the RAM.

An example of using RAM properly is say, booting Windows XP from being fully OFF. Now load a program like WORD. I've seen some programs take up to 30 seconds to load. Close it then open it again. BAM! It takes only one second. This is because Windows kept the program in RAM if you had enough so it accessed it from RAM instead of your hard drive.

So it's likely that drive speed times will mostly only matter when loading a Video game.