Re-install of XP Pro - Problems?

July 31, 2005 10:08:11 AM

I'm upgrading the computer on which I run XP Pro. Actually,
I'm getting a new computer. The drives on the current one will be
wiped and I'll be running a Linux server on the machine.

So, I'm assembling a new machine. I presume that I can install my
legitimately owned Win XP Pro on the new machine, and that it might
require a call to MS. I've got the original MS CD and the CD code.

Should I contact MS ahead of starting the new isstall? Is there a
special phone number for this?

Also, my new machine has SATA hard drives, so at some point in the
install process, I'll have to hit F6 to slip in a floppy with the
drivers, but...the new machine has only a USB floppy, so at what point
during the install does XP Pro recognize USB devices?

Thanks for any help!

More about : install pro problems

Anonymous
August 1, 2005 1:36:43 AM

"Harry Krause" <harry.krause@spamlessgmail.com> wrote in message
> I'm upgrading the computer on which I run XP Pro. Actually,
> I'm getting a new computer. The drives on the current one will be
> wiped and I'll be running a Linux server on the machine.
>
> So, I'm assembling a new machine. I presume that I can install my
> legitimately owned Win XP Pro on the new machine, and that it might
> require a call to MS. I've got the original MS CD and the CD code.

If it's a retail version, no problem. If it's a bios-locked oem version,
it's not going to work.

> Should I contact MS ahead of starting the new isstall? Is there a special
> phone number for this?

No, you activate as normal; chances are it will of through on the Internet,
otherwise you may need to call' the phone number to call will be listed if
you need it.

> Also, my new machine has SATA hard drives, so at some point in the install
> process, I'll have to hit F6 to slip in a floppy with the drivers,
> but...the new machine has only a USB floppy, so at what point during the
> install does XP Pro recognize USB devices?

Good. question. Depends on the bios, I suppose, but considering my USB
keybaord is recognized from the beginning, there's a good chance it will
work. If not, floppy drives are cheap; you can buy one and connect it
temporarily. It may come in handy later.

> Thanks for any help!
Anonymous
August 1, 2005 8:12:20 PM

There shouldn't be any problem activating your copy over the internet
providing it is a retail version and not an OEM that came with the PC. Mind
you most of the pc manufacturers now supply recovery disk.

I've never used a SATA drive but as i too have a USB keyboard and mine is
recognised as soon as XP starts installing then i concur with D.Currie that
you may not have the problems you think you may have. You can laways give it
a try. Floppy disk drives are cheap enough now anyway.

--
John Barnett MVP
Associate Expert

"Harry Krause" <harry.krause@spamlessgmail.com> wrote in message
> I'm upgrading the computer on which I run XP Pro. Actually,
> I'm getting a new computer. The drives on the current one will be
> wiped and I'll be running a Linux server on the machine.
>
> So, I'm assembling a new machine. I presume that I can install my
> legitimately owned Win XP Pro on the new machine, and that it might
> require a call to MS. I've got the original MS CD and the CD code.
>
> Should I contact MS ahead of starting the new isstall? Is there a special
> phone number for this?
>
> Also, my new machine has SATA hard drives, so at some point in the install
> process, I'll have to hit F6 to slip in a floppy with the drivers,
> but...the new machine has only a USB floppy, so at what point during the
> install does XP Pro recognize USB devices?
>
> Thanks for any help!
Anonymous
August 1, 2005 8:12:21 PM

I was actually quite surprised when I realized that my wireless USB keyboard
was working on a clean install. Regular USB keyboard, I knew would be ok,
because I have one computer that has no ps2 ports -- or serial. But when the
wireless was working, I was pretty darned impressed.

For loading the SATA drivers, the usb floppy should be just fine, for
booting from it, it may require a change in the bios. But having a few extra
drives around isn't a bad idea either.

!