Sign in with
Your question

Should i wait for SATA III to build new system for daw?

Last response: in Storage
March 13, 2009 7:39:22 PM

im in music production and planning a new build for a daw(digital audio workstation)...within the next week i was gonna order the parts but now im wondering if i should hold off till a sata 3 mobo is released...

for audio im assuming the 6Gb will be a major advantage, but im also wondering if its necessary...it will obviously give a performance boost but is it needed cuz im reading its being marketed towards ppl who run servers/stream data....

input welcome and encouraged!!! lol

p.s. im guessin this means a 4GB file can be transferred in about 6-8 seconds?

these are the current components in consideration

https://secure.newegg.com/WishList/MySavedWishDetail.as...
March 13, 2009 10:32:21 PM

sata 3 mobo is pretty useless unless you have a sata iii hdd...
March 13, 2009 10:41:57 PM

eklipz330 said:
sata 3 mobo is pretty useless unless you have a sata iii hdd...

of course im gonna pick 1 up lol...juss wanna know if its worth the wait
Related resources
March 13, 2009 11:42:41 PM

Um... you have to have a SATA III SSD. If you're not going to shell out the cash for an SSD then its not worth it. It also needs ot be a high end SSD (read internally RAID'd with multiple controllers, if you RAID a normal SSD each drive has its own bandwidth) for you to hit the transfer speeds. If your doing a standard SSD with peak speeds of 250 MB its pointless. If your not going with an SSD then SATA I will be fast enough for 7200 RPM drives (read non-raptor).

I think its pretty pointless for those of us that can't afford to spend a grand on the hard drive component (at least for now).
March 14, 2009 12:19:21 AM

kamel5547 said:
Um... you have to have a SATA III SSD. If you're not going to shell out the cash for an SSD then its not worth it. It also needs ot be a high end SSD (read internally RAID'd with multiple controllers, if you RAID a normal SSD each drive has its own bandwidth) for you to hit the transfer speeds. If your doing a standard SSD with peak speeds of 250 MB its pointless. If your not going with an SSD then SATA I will be fast enough for 7200 RPM drives (read non-raptor).

I think its pretty pointless for those of us that can't afford to spend a grand on the hard drive component (at least for now).

if im not mistaken they also have hd's coming...ssd's will be the first to use the tech
March 14, 2009 12:34:26 AM

sorry for the waste of time shoulda done a lil more research...gotta love wikipedia

Serial ATA International Organization presented the draft specification of SATA 6 Gbit/s physical layer in July 2008,[8] and ratified its physical layer specification on August 18, 2008. The full 3.0 standard is expected to be available in early 2009.[9] While even the fastest conventional hard disk drives can barely saturate the original SATA 1.5 Gbit/s bandwidth, Intel's Solid State Disk drives are close to saturating the SATA 3 Gbit/s limit at 250 MB/s net read speed, and other new drives including Super Talent, Memoright and Samsung are close to that as well. Ten channels of fast flash can actually reach well over 500 MB/s with new ONFI drives, so a move from SATA 3 Gbit/s to SATA 6 Gbit/s would benefit the flash read speeds. As for the standard hard disks, the reads from their built-in DRAM cache will end up faster across the new interface.[10]
May 8, 2009 8:27:33 PM

OCZ will be releasing a Vetex 2 ssd range which will make use of the sata 3 bandwidth....it hasnt been released yet but was supposed to be released Q1 this year....is probably waiting in the wings for sata3 other wise it would be pointless.
!