N64 Novelty Build

Well, I think the title pretty much explains it :P. I'm pretty sure I've heard of this being done before, but I'd like to try it, more as an experiment than anything else. Obviously space and cooling are going to be an absolute trainwreck - so I'm basically looking for the SMALLEST build possible. I have no illusions about this being a formidable rig, performance-wise - I just need small parts. Thoughts? :D
18 answers Last reply
More about novelty build
  1. lemme get this straight
    NINTENDO 64????
  2. yup :D. if it turns out to be ABSOLUTELY impossible, i'm going to shell a 64DD and chuck it on the bottom - that should make it a little bigger than a standard shuttle case. but ideally (for the aesthetics anyway), just the standard N64 : ). I'm planning on using any space possible, obviously - even if that means using an external PSU in place of the AC cord, etc :P...
  3. you might find this very interesting http://benheck.com/ this guys has turn from atari to xbox 360 portable. He also sell a book teaching how to turn n64 (as an example) into a small portable.
  4. pico-ITX sounds like a good idea to me
  5. Hello,

I think that it would pretty cool to try that. Here's something to look at, I'm pretty sure some have seen this, but here is a Nintendo PChttp://www.extremetech.com/slideshow/0,1206,l=&s=26633&a=134030,00.asp. I forget the original guy that did this a couple of years ago, but ya.
  6. Wow, thanks, that looks like a great build...the thought has just occurred to me that I could perhaps make it as a multimedia PC - hook it up to our TV and stereo as a DVD & music server, etc...what exactly do I need to look for for VGA-out? Will any card on the market now cover that?
  7. Yes, any card outputs VGA.
  8. really this is kind of what your looking for:

9. At your sig, skittle, if the processors had the IHS removed and weren't being used, it might take a technically savvy person to distinguish between the two.
  10. That quote was taken from a review of a X2 4200+. If you cant find the humor in that, then you have issues.

And even then it wouldnt be hard. AMDs have pins... Core2 doesnt.
  11. You would most likely have to be technically savvy to realize the difference between AMD and Intel processors on that level.

Of course, I did find the humor in the quote.
  12. nukchebi0 said:
    You would most likely have to be technically savvy to realize the difference between AMD and Intel processors on that level.

Of course, I did find the humor in the quote.

My bios announces what I have as a processor at boot-up... So a fairly well-sighted person would have no issues with this.

However, it WOULD take a fairly sophisticated tech to actually remove the IHS without destroying the CPU, and also one with money to burn to void two warranties...
  13. I don't think a standard mATX MB will fit into a N64 case. So no PCIe cards srry. :(
  14. So wait, you're going to try to put a PC in the N64 casing? You'll be best off trying to buy laptop parts.
  15. by laptop parts, he means non standard ATX parts.

2.5" HDD (or smaller)
    SO-DIMMs
    mini/micro/pico ITX motherboards
    lowprofile/laptop DVDRW would be a nice choice.
Ask a new question

Read More

Build N64 Systems Product