Screen freezes, goes black

I'm getting unusual errors on my newly-built high-end PC.

I have two 8800 GTS 512 video cards (not in SLi because I need a flexible bridge and can't find one :fou: )
They appear to both have the same problem - whenever I play a game for about 10 minutes, the screen freezes and goes either black, white, or now NEW green! Hopefully it's a limited time only.

Then when I turn the PC off and then on again, it does the same thing WITHOUT me having to start up a game.
After about 5 reboots, it finally stays put, and how long I leave it off appears to have no bearing.

The thing about it, is that they work just fine, for the most part, up until they "die". I got 20 FPS in Halo at one part, which I thought was very odd, but it plays F.E.A.R. at 1920x1200 with 4xAA on Vista with 25 FPS minimum..

So.. any help would be very appriciated.

PC Specs:
Q6600 @ stock - afraid to overclock 'till I fix the problem, but it loads at 33 C.
4GB RAM @ stock-200Mhz = 800Mhz, for some reason. Use only 2.25GB, 'till I can kill the person who sold me 32-bit instead of 64.
2x 8800 GTS 512 no-SLi. Cooled by dual-HR-03 GTs.
eVGA 680i A1. There appears to be a slight problem - it doesn't boot when I plug the extra 4-pin molex into it, but if I plug it in later, it works fine, and no, it still freezes.
320GB x 2 in RAID0. It's my first time, so I hope I installed the drivers well.. but it seems to work fine.
X-FI XtremeGamer. Yet to eliminate it as the culprit, but somehow I doubt it, since it works fine playing 'ma tunes. :D
p190 case + 1200w dual-PSU set-up. I'm not sure if the error with the motherboard isn't PSU(s) related.. I am not 100% sure they are perfectly fine, but they seem fine, and again, they do work. Besides, I only use one card at a time, so it can't be that either one of the cards isn't getting enough power, since I hooked up everything but the drives and the fans to the 650w PSU.
Windows Vista Ultimate 32-bit. When I boot up in Safe Mode, it appears to be also fine.. and I have had issues regarding Vista starting up.. so maybe it's a software issue, but I won't know 'till I get my 64-bit edition.

Here's a pic - http://img167.imageshack.us/img167/648/img1347bk1.jpg

Thanks for any help!
2 answers Last reply
More about screen freezes black
  1. You didn't say anything about the temperatures. What are they?
    Otherwise everything seems to be correctly connected to the motherboard.
  2. dochodochodocho said:
    You didn't say anything about the temperatures. What are they?
    Otherwise everything seems to be correctly connected to the motherboard.

Hmm.. that's odd. I guess I was thinking about doing it, and so I ended up not.

They both idle at ~45C, in my warm room. I've never seen them load at above 70C, and it happens even when I put all my fans on high and they stay at 60C.
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards Graphics