new build blue screen of death.Can I retrieve my data of the hd I had?

fbm211

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2008
Well Im back after a total system failure.I Think it was windows that failed but im not sure...Yet. Anyway I got out my old 36gig raptor and started over and im wondering if its safe to hook up the drive that I had been using?It has the OS on it..Is it safe to hook it up and not have a conflict as long as I dont use it as the boot device.Im sure you all understand I want to get all those programs I had on there.I save all the files and aplications etc I download .Dial up is so slow I really dont want to have to redownload it all again.20+ gigs worth..

level101

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2008
If your talking about connecting it as a second hdd then yes it is safe.
Might want to scan it for virus before transfering data to new drive, might be why it failed.

mlaporta

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2008
Set it up as a slave or cs on the 2nd connector on ribbon cable and your fine (make sure ribbon cable is labeled drive 0 & 1 or 1 & 2 just make sure your primary is on the lowest number connector.

fbm211

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2008
Thanks all.I got everything off the drive except some of my savegame files.Im gona have to start titan quest over again though.And I was just getting ready to beat typhon in epic level.Anyone know anything about the oblivian random crashes to desktop.It even does it on my new build.Maybe I should try the game without the patch.Oh well cant have everything. New build is--GA P35-DS4, E8400, Ballistix1066, Xfi fatali1y pro, evga8800gts(g92), 80g sata hd, 20xdvd burner, Zalman cnps7000b-Cu LED, Silverstone Zeus560watt PS, gTower case. OH and Im using some pny optima 667 memory right now because my 1066 failed.Thats what caused my system failure.It runs fine now,just a hair slower.