Solved

Moving HDD w/XP

Last response: in Windows XP
July 11, 2010 6:35:19 AM

First a spec rundown then the problem:

Original Computer: Compaq Presario S4000Z
Purchase Date: October 2003
CPU: Original Athlon XP 2.04 Ghz, 222 Mhz FSB
Motherboard (new 2007): Case Logic MATX MBD SIS741 AGP 8X-AMD SOCKET 462 VID ETH
HDD: 1 40gb primary, 1 80 gb slave

Now the problem:

I am planning a "rebuild" of my system, primarily a new mobo/cpu set. Is it possible to simply switch out the motherboard and CPU while maintaining the hard drives or will I run into problems? Again, I am buying the parts online NOT scrounging them from other machines. Will this go smoothly or will I have to re-install windows?

If any more info is needed I am always willing to offer it. Thanks in advance.

More about : moving hdd

Best solution

July 11, 2010 9:26:57 AM

makwy2 said:
First a spec rundown then the problem:

Original Computer: Compaq Presario S4000Z
Purchase Date: October 2003
CPU: Original Athlon XP 2.04 Ghz, 222 Mhz FSB
Motherboard (new 2007): Case Logic MATX MBD SIS741 AGP 8X-AMD SOCKET 462 VID ETH
HDD: 1 40gb primary, 1 80 gb slave

Now the problem:

I am planning a "rebuild" of my system, primarily a new mobo/cpu set. Is it possible to simply switch out the motherboard and CPU while maintaining the hard drives or will I run into problems? Again, I am buying the parts online NOT scrounging them from other machines. Will this go smoothly or will I have to re-install windows?

If any more info is needed I am always willing to offer it. Thanks in advance.

Depends upon the new system involved. You may need to do a repair install. This should resolve any OS issues involved with the transfer and you wont lose your programs or files.

You may have activation problems with windows as your OEM license is supposed to be tied to the compaq motherboard.
July 12, 2010 2:06:26 PM

Thank you for your response but I should point out that I installed a full version of XP Pro; reformatting the HDD with the OEM license of XP Home that came with the computer.

If anyone has gone through this your suggestions or advice is greatly appreciated
m
l
Related resources
July 12, 2010 8:31:41 PM

makwy2 said:
Thank you for your response but I should point out that I installed a full version of XP Pro; reformatting the HDD with the OEM license of XP Home that came with the computer.

If anyone has gone through this your suggestions or advice is greatly appreciated

Yes I have moved drives/OS installs to new systems. Like I said, repair install and new drivers + reactivation it all there is too it in most cases.
m
l
July 19, 2010 12:32:33 AM

Best answer selected by makwy2.
m
l
!