Newegg Denied RMA for Bent CPU Pins?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dence47

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2011
Hello my friends at Tom's Harware!! I am coming to you today saying that Newegg has denied my RMA for my Asus Rampage IV Formula. I honestly have no idea why. I called up and said "hey listen, I got my board in the mail today and im going to rma it so we can get this over with. We have around 4 pent cpu pins in the bottom left. The cpu socket that protects the pins was off the board behind the board." They said everything is okay, just send it back.

A week goes by and the receive it and they approve it. After a few minutes I get an email saying "Motherboard or CPU was received with apparent end-user caused physical damage to CPU socket contact pins that are bent and twisted beyond repair". I am outraged and furious. They denied my RMA even though it said it was approved? They are sending the board back to me and I do not want it! I will then have to RMA the board with Asus and pay for the repairs. What can I do guys? Any suggestions? I contacted them via live chat and they denied to help me and I asked to speak with a manager and they said one will contact me today sometime via phone. What can I do?

Thanks a lot, also sorry for venting. Had to let if out somewhere =/

I don't blame ya for letting some steam off, as it sounds like a frustrating matter. At one time there was a newegg rep that stopped by here, but I'm not sure if they do anymore. It sounds like you're next best bet is to try to go through Asus and see what they have to say. Tell them what happened with newegg so they know what the story is first. Otherwise, keep trying to get in touch with a manager or some other big wig at newegg to try and make your point.

GWB2012

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2012
I experienced the same issue with Newegg, where they accepted the RMA and then sent the board back for bent CPU pins. It is an ASUS board so I will try the suggestion offered. My only other suggestion is to take this to social media and let your dissatisfaction be known. Let me know if you want to join forces.

"There may be times when we are powerless to prevent injustice, but there must never be a time when we fail to protest."
Elie Wiesel

bryanl

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2009
Merchant is responsible for fulfilling order properly, including by delivering product in fully working condition unless merchant previously stated otherwise, i.e., requiring all factory defects to be handled through manufacturer. Merchant is responsible for all damage it caused to product that made it deviate from its description, again unless merchant previously stated otherwise, i.e., merchandise sold in "as-is" condition. Some states don't allow "as-is" sales.

Follow credit card's instructions for filing complaints, shown on every statement. Complain before paying, and complain on paper mailed to complaint address listed on statement.

http://www.newegg.com/Info/OfficeHours.aspx

call them up on the phone and describe your situation. clearly state that the reason why you are returning the board is because the cpu pins were bent when you received it.

if they refuse to rma and work with you then go straight to the corporate office and call them up.

http://www.corporateofficeowl.com/NewEgg.com/Corporate%20Office

verify the numbers of course...

somewhere along the line you will get somewhere. this can not be the first time a board has arrived with bent pins. newegg just takes this stance since many people try returning the boards when they screw it up themselves upon trying to install the cpu.

did you take photos?

if you still get nowhere then its time to play dirty writing a story up and posting it on every single major tech forum, their facebook, twitter and other media sites and let them know about it. bad press is hard to get rid of so often companies will deal.

GWB2012

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2012

Thanks for the guidance.

I called customer service and the told me to call AsRock, which I did. I sent them a pic as well. They offered to replace it for $50. It costs $80, so I am back to Newegg. Calling Corp offices now....

All who responded.......

Thank you for the responses. I followed the advice given and called the Corp HQ. I spoke to the Office of the CEO, explained the situation, and was granted an RMA and store credit which is what I asked for and need. A very positive outcome!

joshw06

Honorable
Sep 6, 2013
Just had my first experience with new egg and had the same thing with my mother board, sent it back for a reason not related to pins for relacement then, got denied for bent cpu pins. opened an RMA with GB and now just waiting. Asked newegg how 10% of another motherboard purchease was supposed to make up for it.

-Josh

cpthk

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2008
It also happened to me. I had the maximus VI hero board. I didn't even install the CPU. I had issue witht the board, and RMA with newegg. Newegg claimed I bent the socket pins. How on earth could I've done that if I didn't even open up the CPU socket. I will never buy from newegg again. I had much better experiences with Amazon.

iamgoinbiking

Honorable
Nov 1, 2013
Same here. I got my RMA denied by newegg on ASRock B75M R2.0. Same garbage - "apparent end-user caused physical damage to the CPU socket contact pins". I am pretty confident I didn't case the bent pins. This is not the first time I am building a PC. Has anyone ever got a motherboard successfully RMA'ed??

FlyingTurtle

Honorable
Jul 13, 2013

My Maximus VI Hero died a I got an RMA successfully from newegg. They made me pay $15 for shipping though so I will not be ordering from them anymore.

tomsgoat

Honorable
Feb 4, 2014
Yeah it happened to me, too, last year. I don't know if they're doing it on purpose or if they have an idiot causing the bent pins when they remove the protective cover but I'll never buy a motherboard from newegg again.

I did call them up but their response was that I could have bent them when putting the protective cover back on, and I can't prove that I didn't because it's impossible to photograph the pins once the protective cover is in place so there's nothing the consumer can do.

swm

Honorable
Feb 4, 2014
The same thing just happened to me for an Asus Maximus VI Hero. I suspect that the problem is due to the fact that the warranty is 'replace' not 'refund' so Newegg is more on the hook for losing $. Funny.....at first Newegg said they would issue a second UPS label so I didn't have to pay return but after a week it never arrived so I used the first label I had to pay for. After they acknowledged receipt of the mobo it took 8 days to notify me of the damage. In 6 years buying from Newegg they have always been far more prompt with everything.

Asus walked me through some diagnostics and believed the onboard chip was bad....sounded like the service rep had heard this problem before. They said to return to Newegg.

The board arrived by design without the usual anti-static envelope. I was suspicious and looked over carefully with a magnifying glass. I'm sure there was no damage.

NeweggSupport

Honorable
Jun 4, 2013

Dear dence47,

We are very sorry to hear about your experience with your return. We'd be happy to look into this situation and see what options we have to get this situation resolved. Please send us your account details to Wecare@newegg.com and we'll look into this.

We look forward to hearing from you.

Newegg Support

NeweggSupport

Honorable
Jun 4, 2013

Dear FlyingTurtle,

Did you contact our Customer Service department? If an item is defective, we can provide you with a pre-paid shipping label. Please email us your return details and we'll be happy to look into this. Our email address is Wecare@newegg.com.

Newegg Support

PepitoTV

Honorable
Oct 10, 2013

Yay, Newegg answered the poor guy one year late!

Jeremy Vincent

Honorable
Feb 5, 2014
I just this week had to send back a motherboard because it had bent pins in the cpu socket. And I swear if I have to go through the same shit you did, newegg will lose a customer who spends upwards of 1,000 dollars a year on their site.
Sorry about all the crap they have put you through, I cant imagine it myself.

billclarke

Honorable
Feb 6, 2014
I just received the same excuse from an RMA I sent back. Seems to me there is a pattern here - very easy for them to say bent pins. When I receive the useless board - I will just toss it and be out the dollars involved. Never again anything from New Egg.

swm

Honorable
Feb 4, 2014
I posted my bent pin story above on Feb 5, 2014. I opened a case with PayPal to reverse the charge. Only after that did Newegg live up to their promise to pay the RMA shipping. I also mentioned that I didn't think it was worth the $ to return the board to Asus for a refund but I would post on the gamer boards to see what other's experience was. Its been 17 days and I still have not had my board returned and there is no mention by Newegg of who is paying the shipping for the return to me.

My second Asus board is working fine and Asus phone support was prompt and helpful but they directed me to deal with Newegg.

Joseph Harless

Reputable
Feb 28, 2014
Same experience with Newegg, did an rma for an Asus Maximus VI Formula that was defective. The rma was denied due to physical damage, Newegg stated the socket pins were bent. After multiple emails there was no resolution. Called Asus and they said they would repair it, not sure if it will be covered by the warranty or not. I have done a lot of business with Newegg over the years, but they have lost a loyal customer.

fuzzelogic

Reputable
Mar 5, 2014
I too purchased a motherboard ASUS Gryphon Z87 from NewEgg and was having a issue with dropped USB connections, random computer freezes, and display issues. Anyways, I sent the board for a RMA and they told me the CPU socket had BENT PINS!!!!! I've built atleast 15 computers over the years and have always been VERY careful in regards to handling parts.

I'm waiting to get the board back so I can inspect these BENT pins myself!!!!!

I won't be purchasing very many parts from NewEgg any longer after this issue!!!!!!

calvimusprime

Reputable
May 8, 2014
I also purchased a brand new Asus Rampage Black edition motherboard. Ram slots starting dropping. It would only read the left side of ram slots from the heat sink. Purchased new ram to be sure before I called. Told newegg my problem. They told me to RMA my board. I got the same email. RMA denied due to bent CPU pins. I took pictures of my board before I sent it. Even had the company that put my new computer together to take pictures and record a video of them putting together. I am now waiting on my board to come back. I have seen in forums where board comes back in worse shape due to neweggs incompetence. I hope that is the case so I can take them to court and get my money back and maybe a little more for the trouble they've caused me. I will never buy from them again. I have dealt with Amazon and eBay, and can truly say the parts I have bought from those two companies have far exceeded neweggs service.

400thecat

Reputable
May 16, 2014
I am having the same issue with Newegg, and I know for a fact that the microprocessor pins were not bent when I returned the board. They returned the board to me "RMA denied" because of bent pins, but I know the pins were bent at Newegg. They told me to deal with the manufacturer, Asrock, but Asrock does not extend a warranty to the end user - only to the dealer.

Lesson learned. No more Newegg for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.