Memory upgrade, now bios doesn't show..

fb_9

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2008
Hey guys!

I replaced my memory on my intel dp35dp board, and now my monitor doesn't turn on until windows loaded- thus not allowing me to see the BIOS screen.

My old memory was 2 x 1gb ocz 5-5-5-12 and i replaced it with 2 x 2gb kingston 5-5-5-18.

The weird thing is that when i only have one stick in of either stick.. the monitor will turn on before the BIOS shows on the screen like expected. Could it be the slot? or maybe the video card? i have a dual head matrox card with digital connectors. I'm using adapters so i can use analog monitors.

Thanks in advance for any help! :(

antas

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2008
Well, I'm not familiar with this matrox cards, the last Matrox I used was back at the early years of PII. But I experienced the same symptomps with random mobo .. Even with my new ABIT IX38 mobo (+ATi vga), sometimes it happens. During the BIOS, the LCD remains standby until it loads Windows. However I can still get into BIOS by pressing del repetitively as soon as I press the power (even when I still see nothing on screen)

My bet is that you should be able to get into BIOS the same way I did. Although for Intel board it's not DEL for enter BIOS (if I'm not mistaken).

roadrunner197069

Splendid
Sep 3, 2007
Try upping the memory voltage a bit. Its probably defaulting to 1.8 where as it needs 2.1-2.2 on the new sticks. Check the specs and set timings and voltages where they are speced to run.

roadrunner197069

Splendid
Sep 3, 2007
Well alot of times you need 2.1-2.2 for 4 gigs of ram. Since it works fine with one stick at 1.8 that is probably the deal. Put one stick in and go into bios and up the voltage.

IH8U

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2007
Have you tried removing the CMOS battery? pop it out for a minute, then put it back in. You should be able to go into the BIOS then (had the same issues with a MSI server board a couple of years ago).

antas

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2008
That's strange. I mean you can enter into Windows, but can not see the BIOS .. Do you have any problem in Windows? Instability or things? If the system is not stable, go with roadrunner suggestion, it may help you

If your system is stable then it is really strange, however IH8U suggestion is worth to try ...

fb_9

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2008

It was stable. No overclocking and a somewhat fresh windows install.

The monitor still stays on standby(orange power light) until windows is loaded. Very wierd. I even tried a mobo bios update and a video driver update but with no luck. I'll remove the battery and hopefully it works. otherwise, I'm going to return the memory and see what happens with the new sticks. If i'm having the same problem, then i'm going to assume that i have either a mobo or video card problem.

@roadrunner - intel says that the dp35dp only supports 1.8v's, but what's funny is that my 2 old ocz sticks could handle 2.1v. I might just end up getting 2 more of those same ocz sticks to see what happens.