Phenoms B3 coming in days?? or what????

mrgoodbar

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2008
So I havent built yet, been waiting on the phenoms B3 but Im confused on exactly when they are dropping. Im reading everywhere it says march but some saying its now june??? Some other people are saying it may be dropping within days??? Im on an old pentium 4 2.8 ghz socket 478 that I have as an emergency back up from back in the days that I found. So does anyone have any real idea or have an inkling if its gonna drop in days or months??? Also does anyone have an estimated price of the chip? Thanks.

Last report had them in May to June. Thats about the same time as HD 4000 so few wires could be crossed. The price of the phenom's at speeds 2.3 and 2.4 should be the same price as current. The 9700 and 9900 price should be cheaper than the Q6700.

I wonder when AMD will put 2 45nm phenom's together for an octal?

spoonboy

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2007
There was something on google finance about b3 barcelona opterons being ready to launch this week, so unless there's some kind of NDA on them they might at least sneak their way to reviewers within the next couple of weeks.

Either way B3 Phenoms on the shelf and ready to buy will be end of next month I would think. I assume you've been waiting a while to upgrade but in for a penny in for a pound you might as well hold on a bit longer to at least say what the reviews of them say. If the B3s oc better (i.e. say to 2.8ghz) then they might make a reasonable gaming setup, with good non-gaming performance (windows, file decoding & compression).

The new AMD motherboards look pretty sharp I might add, but then again there are loads of quality Intel boards around too...

bobwya

May 21, 2005

Hi

I think you will find the OEMs who weren't prepared to use the buggy B2 stepping will snap up all the B3's first. Please refer to THG interview with Jochen Polster, CEO of AMD Germany!!

Bob

yomamafor1

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2007
Its coming in Q2, with higher speed grade (9900 @2.6Ghz) coming in Q3. As elbert said, both 9900 and 9700 should be cheaper than Q6700, which is scheduled to drop to 260USD (current Q6600 price point). Q6600 will continue drop to 220USD~240USD.

Yea thats the plan. I would say I am sad due to the price cut but still $275 is not bad for one of the best quad cores available.

Lets see what happens with Phenom. I don't expect anything great. Nor do I expect much more in the arena of OC'ing. But we shall see.

I am sorry to report this but Phenom has been delayed again. They are having trouble ramping B3 up and would like you to know they appreciate your patients. It should be ready by Q308 at the latest.

:p JUST KIDDING......

spongebob

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2004
:heink: Why? Because it runs software? Because it has no AMD logo? Because it doesn't come in designer colors?
[strike]AMD Forever![/strike] :pfff:
[strike]Intel Inside![/strike] :pfff:
Best product gets the dollars. Anything else is silly, IMO.

spaztic7

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2007
I am just happy with my Q6600. So what that it is a couple of dollars more than the Phenom. It’s not buggy, faster in applications the general people use and well, it does not have issues. The best part is, I got mine a year ago and its still better then the Phenom.

What’s not to like?

deranged

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2007

It's most likely how much ram you have and how it's setup.

Amiga500

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2007

Its got 4GB of ram, and the apps use alot of it, but never dipping into virtual mem (not that I could since only 3.25 registers).

Agreed. Plus a nice 3GHz OC with no voltage change and it roxors the soxors.

Eh? Man what are you doing? Running 10 Folding@Homes? I once ran 3 instances of one game, and 2 other different game(all MMORPGs) had WMP plaing music in the background, had DVDShrink running, had a defrag going, had 15+ IE7's and was downloading 2 or 3 things and it never once slowed down. And this is on Vista using only 2GB of RAM. You must not have a Q6600.

Amiga500

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2007

I have and it bogs down when faced with 2 cfx pre processors and 2 cfx post processors along with an icem mesh generator.

Like it or lump it, the fsb is still a bottleneck for some.

Far far better than the old P4 piece of **** I had before, and it is better than the 4600 X2 I have at home.

Probably not, at least from what most of the tests I've seen run here and other places have said. Look at specFP_rate for 1 thread -> 2 thread scaling as that hits the memory I/O about as hard as anything else I've seen. The FSB only starts to be an issue with synthetic benches such as specFP_rate when running an MCM quad-core CPU on an FSB (such as the Q6600) and only starts to be much of an issue with real programs when running two quad-core MCM CPUs on a single system (such as the E53xx series.)

I'd put your bogging down under running many apps as being the fault of the OS (particularly if you're running Windows XP), only having two cores and >2 intensive threads, amount of RAM, HDD I/O and network I/O ahead of FSB congestion on your E6750.

deranged

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2007

From what I have read here and on other websites regarding intels fsb and bottlenecks, there is no significant increase in speed from higher fsb speeds. A net increase of .05 with 1333 verses 1066 in real world applications. I wish I had the link, as I read it about a half a year ago.

You will see a difference in sinthetic benchmarks- (in the form of memory bandwidth)

As for real world apps, there is a difference in the server market... That's part of the reason AMD has lasted all this time with a slower processor.

AMD's integrated memory controler can acces memory faster and more efficiently, and in the server market where access of a ton of ram is important, the fsb bottleneck manifest itself.

For the adverage joe like you and me, it's pretty tough if not impossible to fully saturate the fsb with a core2.

So Intel uses an FSB, and that's a bottleneck.

AMD uses an IMC and according to your thinking isn't bottlenecked.

Then why does Core 2 outperform K10?

Is there a bottleneck at the end of one of the HT links called a "Phenom Processor"?

ImajorI

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2007

^Agreed. My quad is so much faster than my old P4 and overclocked so easily. If she was a girl I would....well I like mine alot. :)

spaztic7

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2007

LMAO!!!!!!

Everything is good for its day.... Phenoms day was just a long time ago. If not for the delays!

Amiga500

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2007

Possible. I'll not discount it.

Although when running the solver on 4 nodes (4 cores effectively), there is a 15% speedup by ensuring the cache isn't wiped by the OS setting proc infinity.

That is a result of keeping stuff away from the FSB as much as possible.

As regards the Barcelona. Yeah, on the desktop its ****. But it would be quicker for me doing what I'm doing - pity AMD didn't get the finger out last summer/autumn when I had to get a new machine or lose my sanity (and its questionable whether I've kept it or not :D )