Air or Water for Q6600 @ 3.5(6 maybe) Ghz

rousegk7

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2008
So I am looking for a good solution for when I OC my CPU.

I am torn between:

1) TRUE with 2 Scythe Slipstream 1600rpm

or

2) Swiftech H220 - compact for just a cpu loop.

I am worried about the massive weight of the TRUE and torquing of the MB.

Other thing is that I have never messed with liquid cooling, which scares and appeals to me at the same time because the swiftech kit is pretty straight forward.

I use my rig for gaming and school use, and pretty much let it run 24/7 (although it sleeps after 2 hours of non-use)

What do you all think? I want something that will reliably cool it, not something that maxed out might cool it enough. Thanks

Comments, questions, and concerns welcome

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
The TRUE would be a cheaper solution, and I don't know how heavy it is or the effect of it long-term in a vertical case. The Swiftech kit you mentioned would do well to cool a CPU only, you could throw your GPU on there with that kit and probably be alright. Anything more, though, and you would need to think about more heat exchanger area. Price is the major difference here, so that is the biggest factor. Either one should do well and serve you for a long time. Water cooling does require a little more effort to find places to mount the gear, fill and purge, etc, but many people find it fun to have something different in their cases.

rousegk7

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2008
I Like the watercooling because I always like to try something new. . . thats how you learn.

Thanks for the idea about the Xiga... Ill check into that also.

Im looking to stay under $200 for my cooling solution.

rberry

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2008
I use the sunbeam core contact freezer.

Its lighter than you think and i have a q67000 oc to 3.6 and it idles at 35C.

Wasnt too bad of an install either.

Good luck.

I have ZEROtherm nirvana and I have my q6600 @ 3.4ghz right now this pupply idles at 40-40-38-38 :] load temps dont go over 52 so I'm happy

2nvbkmd.jpg

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
I Like the watercooling because I always like to try something new. . . thats how you learn.

That's how I got into it...I wanted something new and different. $200 is a good entry solution for water...but as you read more about it, you quickly find you want more blocks, rads, etc...

Superhal

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2008
If you're going to OC over 3.5, you'll probably need non-air cooling. I prefer the Coolit Freezone since it is not limited by ambient temperature. However, condensation is a concern. The Zalman Reservator is pricey, but the best 1 piece water solution. Personally, I'm waiting for the MSI Watercool/Hydrogen, which is an integrated water cooling + motherboard combination.