Demonic Goldfish

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2008
Hey all. I'm getting some bizarre issues with my RAM - I'll give as much background information as I can.

I recently upgraded - went from an E6600 to an E8500, a GTS 640 to a GTS 512 and 2GB of PC2-6400 RAM to 4GB of the same. I'm running an Asus P5B-Deluxe (the wifi edition), and the new processor's increased FSB necessitated a BIOS update. When I booted, I noticed that my RAM was running at 667MHz instead of the former 800MHz, but I decided that this was due to the new 333MHz FSB. Oddly, the POST leads me to believe that my motherboard thinks my RAM is PC2-5300. I let the BIOS choose voltages etc. as it saw fit, and everything seemed fine. I then overclocked my CPU to 3.8GHz (400x9.5), meaning that the RAM was back at its original speed (I'd been running my original 2GB at this speed for 2 years or so with no problems, and with no fiddling with voltage). This necessitated a voltage increase from the stock 1.9-2.0V (2.2 EVP) to 2.3V in order for my system to remain stable. My processor is stable at 4GHz, but my RAM isn't, and I'm not particularly happy about increasing my RAM voltage any further.

Does anyone know why this could be? Link to my RAM: http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=MY-072-OC

Cheers, DG

beurling

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2008
if your memory is stock DDR2-800, then you dont need to overvolt them. They are at their desired speed and therefore their stock voltage should be adequate.. at a higher voltage they may be freaking out and burning out at the same time.

Set it to it's recommended Voltage, and set your Vcore to around 1.3Volts (not sure what u have it at right now, but my E8400 requires 1.4V in bios for 4Ghz.)

Manually input your memory timings as well, my mobo put mine at 5-5-5-15, when it should have been 4-4-4-12.