Sign in with
Your question
Closed

What happened to the computer enthusiast?

Last response: in CPUs
March 10, 2008 10:49:27 PM

im guessing everyone is too lazy to actually read it...
a c 127 à CPUs
March 10, 2008 10:51:47 PM

We are still here..... just a different genertion. Times change and so does PC hardware. So as enthusiast who want the best bang for the buck we must adapt to the changes. Only the good mobo makers survive and same with other areas.
Related resources
a b à CPUs
March 10, 2008 11:23:00 PM

Quote:
Volt modding and epoxying extra heatsinks into strange places is a thing of the past because we're offered so much voltage overhead on the more enthusiast expensive boards that it's not longer required. It's sad to think we'll never need a 2B pencil again, or to buy obscure “gold finger” devices

:lol:  I guess this guy doesn't know that you can Volt mod a 8x00 GPU to get incredible performance with a simple pencil mod. So that kind of modding is still not dead.
March 10, 2008 11:42:25 PM

but the point is, how often do people do that? A while back, stuff like that was extremely regular. Now, it never happens except for people trying to break records.
March 11, 2008 1:26:17 AM

I really must be an old one here as I am planning on finally upgrading my AMD Athlon XP 2500+ barton core and gigabyte 7n400pro 2 rev 2 mobo(the processor is getting week since its been @ 3200+ for 3.5years) and I posted about the old 939 and man was I shot down as I haven't kept up and didn't know that it was 2years discontinued. oh well now looking @ amd2. Anyone still looking for pc3200 DDR as I have 2gb of OCZ platnum with timings of 2-3-2-5
March 11, 2008 1:37:25 AM

Quote:
I really must be an old one here as I am planning on finally upgrading my AMD Athlon XP 2500+ barton core and gigabyte 7n400pro 2 rev 2 mobo(the processor is getting week since its been @ 3200+ for 3.5years) and I posted about the old 939 and man was I shot down as I haven't kept up and didn't know that it was 2years discontinued. oh well now looking @ amd2. Anyone still looking for pc3200 DDR as I have 2gb of OCZ platnum with timings of 2-3-2-5

You have to remember that a large percentage of the people who post here believe that anything that isn't the latest and greatest hardware is junk. That being said, if I were you I would check around on ebay and the like for some used 939 hardware if you want to upgrade on the cheap. There are plenty of people selling their old computers after having upgraded recently and you can probably get a decent 939 processor and a motherboard that would allow you to reuse most of your hardware for probably less than $100. As much as some people like to rip on the older stuff it still works well for most things. I'm still using the 939 rig I built 2.5 years ago and I don't think I'll need to upgrade for at least another year. Unless you feel the need to play all of the latest games at high settings there is no need to spend a lot of money on the newest hardware.
a c 127 à CPUs
March 11, 2008 3:03:54 AM

maverick7 said:
but the point is, how often do people do that? A while back, stuff like that was extremely regular. Now, it never happens except for people trying to break records.

I would do it if it helped my performance of my HD2900Pro. I wounder if there are some out there....
March 11, 2008 5:24:47 AM

maverick7 said:

Oh, about as often as they use jumpers to set IRQ, DMI, etc ad noziem.
The board makers, gfx card makers, and even the chip makers have done a horrible thing. They have made all those pain in the asssk little steps redundent. Now I can do all my tweaks in windoze.
I suck with a solder sucker, my fingers are too big and clumbsy for a good pencil line, or those crappy little jumpers, and I was never big on the whole fear thing, around some of the mods Iv'e done.
At this point, just being able to figure out what to do in bios makes you an enthusiast in my book.
We do things differently now. In a lot of ways, it's easier, but mostly it's more fun, with better results.
March 11, 2008 6:00:46 AM

I feel i am a part of the final generation to experience ISA, EISA (boy do i hate compaq 15 years ago), configurable i/o cards, and a gazillion jumpers. back when cpu's didnt require fans, and scsi hard drives were all the rage. When sound cards could make a single sound at a time, and it wasn't until the Awe series of sound cards until you could play AND record at the same time. When OS/2 ruled all the way around and seeing DOS on a 200 MB hard drive in a 486 was spectacular. Before the original matrox millenium, and the original voodoo cards. 512k of video memory. For networking - Token Ring and sneaker-net all day long... awesome.

The new generation forward in time of us never got to experience these sorts of things. Back then enthusiasts had to think about what the computer is doing, and why. Now we can throw together a computer and have it installing Windows in under 5 minutes easy. The enthusiast market has transferred to overclocking, linux, exotic cooling, and a very small portion of PC Gamers out there qualify as a person. Everything else is dumbed down to make life easy for us, a vast majority have taken advantage of that and have chosen to stop learning about what is really going on inside the Expensive Energy Absorber because they don't have to. Guess thats just the way of things.
March 11, 2008 6:32:06 AM

Its been my experience that give a man food, he wont hunt, like welfare etc. In a way this is exactly whats going on here. I remember my dad telling me alot of times he made his own toys as a child, things have definately changed, for the better I hope
March 11, 2008 6:40:01 AM

We are still around; Advances in technology have made the "enthusiast" label common. It is really easy to build and oc a system and everyone that does so claims to be a "guru" or "enthusiast" or is given the title by those who are clueless. As you can see by the number of n00bs that have invaded the forums in the last couple of years, most "enthusiasts" do not know what they are doing or how all the components of a system work. Look at the number of posts in the forums asking for help on a new build, is this a good benchmark score, what is the best cpu/gpu/.... Weed through the replies and you will see a few true enthusiasts in the sea of n00bness. Some of those n00bs will go on and become true "enthusiasts" and learn how to build, tweak, and give good advice. Most will not because it is too easy to let someone else figure out answers to problems or how to gain top performance.
March 11, 2008 6:42:14 AM

I liked the article. I understand the author's grievance toward e-peen 3d Mark scores.
I agree with the author's point computer component manufacturers are catering only to e-peens that want the highest 3d Mark score.
March 11, 2008 6:47:56 AM

JAYDEEJOHN said:
Its been my experience that give a man food, he wont hunt, like welfare etc. In a way this is exactly whats going on here. I remember my dad telling me alot of times he made his own toys as a child, things have definately changed, for the better I hope

:lol:  The answer to the miserable state of the wellfare program...stop giving away free food. :lol: 
New answer for all the n00b posts...Figure it out for yourself.
a b à CPUs
March 11, 2008 7:20:19 AM

rockbyter said:
When OS/2 ruled all the way around and seeing DOS on a 200 MB hard drive in a 486 was spectacular.

I remember having to boot DOS from floppy on an 086 with no hard drive!
a b à CPUs
March 11, 2008 7:24:18 AM

Gh0stDrag0n said:
Figure it out for yourself.

Wow! That sounds good. Even if they did a simple google search for what they want, they would know more and ask more inteligent questions. I know I did some research before I usually asked. It would be also nice if they would be courteous when asking and responding. It seems that alot of the newer posters, just want to get an answer and don't want to do any research. I'm not an expert by any means, but I at least try and do some basic research before posting a question or to. Maybe I'm an exception from the norm, but that is how I feel about it.
March 11, 2008 7:27:22 AM

mi1ez said:
I remember having to boot DOS from floppy on an 086 with no hard drive!

and that first upgrade from 64K.... twin floppies...... CGA monitor and card..... MFM vs RLL drives..... and the ultimate upgrade from an 84 key to a 101 key "enhanced" keyboard...

:lol: 
March 11, 2008 7:28:43 AM

lunyone said:
Wow! That sounds good. Even if they did a simple google search for what they want, they would know more and ask more inteligent questions. I know I did some research before I usually asked. It would be also nice if they would be courteous when asking and responding. It seems that alot of the newer posters, just want to get an answer and don't want to do any research. I'm not an expert by any means, but I at least try and do some basic research before posting a question or to. Maybe I'm an exception from the norm, but that is how I feel about it.

I also wish now and again they'd say what they ended up doing and thank you wouldn't hurt either!!!!

:fou: 
March 11, 2008 8:01:36 AM

lunyone said:

True, you can really tell when someone has done a little research. Those few are the ones who usually want to learn and not just find a quick answer. Most of the information that is asked for is just a few "clicks" away. The many posts dealing with the same thing over and over gets old quick, that is where you see rudeness rear its ugly head.
a b à CPUs
March 11, 2008 8:25:55 AM

Gh0stDrag0n said:
True, you can really tell when someone has done a little research. Those few are the ones who usually want to learn and not just find a quick answer. Most of the information that is asked for is just a few "clicks" away. The many posts dealing with the same thing over and over gets old quick, that is where you see rudeness rear its ugly head.

8800gt or HD3870 for Crysis on max settings?!
March 11, 2008 8:57:38 AM

8800GTX... noob... lol

nah i know what you guys mean, the enthusiast still exists there just harder to find. especially on this forum, back in the good old days of Toms, this would be mostly enthusiasts and not many noobs, since the hand over the forum is full of noobs, even i left for a long time i only recently returned to brush up on the new C2D quads and Phenoms, but thats one of the only reasons im here. and an argument or two :) 
a b à CPUs
March 11, 2008 9:01:39 AM

When I first started reading the forums here, I didn't actually post for about 8months so I could get a feel for it, gain a bit more knowledge on areas I'm not too hot on, and not make a complete tit of myself!
March 11, 2008 9:07:48 AM

A good read and basically spot on. It’s nice to see that there are some sane people out there in hardware world. I also think that the hardware industry has stalled, nvidia is a good example of this, innovation please. Drop the marketing carp and start creating some kick a$$ hardware again.

Anyone remember a company called Soltek?

A motherboard made by them is still one of the best motherboards I have ever owned, it worked for 4 years and I was still able to sell it. Abit and Aopen boards are in there rounding out my top 3 best boards I have ever owed. These boards just worked and worked no matter what I throw/did to them. The aopen board even OCed an Intel PIII 677 (I think it was) to almost 800Mhz with no problem at all.

That was a nice trip down memory lane. But time stands still for no man, and the corporation only exits to make profit, and there for I don’t see things changing. Everything is ruled by marketing now days. :sol:  :kaola:  :bounce: 
March 11, 2008 10:45:23 AM

We've come a long way from crapped out MSI boards and improper fitting ram.
March 11, 2008 11:57:55 AM

said:

I was using SOYO board for 3 years. Good board. Company still exists but never heard of them anymore. Another company, IWILL, still exists, never heard of them anymore. Maybe there's more...

March 11, 2008 12:05:12 PM

I have to honestly say that the recent decline in overall computer tech knowledge makes me feel warm and fuzzy. It gives me a small sense of job security knowing that most new computer "gurus" haven't the slightest idea what really goes on inside their machines.

You can't blame it on technology either, because books are still around with information in them that anyone can read and learn about. People are just lazy, but that's not anyone's fault but their own.
March 11, 2008 12:21:17 PM

I don't know what all this guy is yammering about because my eyes glazed over 1/3 the way through his tirad but I think enthusiast equipment overall is light years ahead of what enthusiast parts used to be. The manufacturers have listened and done a fantastic job of integrating real useful performance features into their hardware. I know what parts to buy and how to match them for highest performance. Whether it starting with a basic upgradeable platform to a full blown high performance setup.

I don't miss having to jumper your FSB speeds and CPU type and mod your resistors for voltage bumps. I don't miss having to jumper your hard drives to master slave configurations. I still prefer to bios tune a computer and hate all current software tuning apps.

I don't know what that dude is talking about. Current equipment and prices are GREAT! Who needs the extra configuration headaches.
a b à CPUs
March 11, 2008 12:31:25 PM

It was a great article ... particularly when my first PC was a turbo Sperry XT and I payed $400 for a second hand 20Mb HDD for it .. the box was heaps more ... sold the wife to pay for it as I recall.

Was a good deal too.

Spent hours setting up the MFM controller card (er Debug c600 ?? ... umm forgot the rest) and stuck a RAM card in it with a bucket load of DIL RAM chips on it to get to 512 Kb of ram !!!

Herc graphics.

Hey ... remember the PCChips mobos with the dud cache on them?

How bout winding up the 5x86 133 to a 160 ?

lapping water blocks?? lapping cpus's ... heh heh. oh ... no.

Still have a box of radiators and Silverprop / thermaltake / corsair stuff sitting here ... pointless now.

Now you can get any cheap mobo, stick an E series core2 in it, crank it up and stick a mid range graphics card and play anything ... well at a middling resolution anyway.

The problem now is that anything off the shelf is good enough from Intel... providing your graphics card is up to scratch.

The guy from NVidia had a point ... show me a system where the graphics card doesn't make the single most important difference to performance with games??

March 11, 2008 12:45:10 PM

The enthusiasts are still there but the various marketing departments have picked up the "enthusiast" as a brand. They make everyone believe that they can be an enthusiast by buying a super uber high-end motherboard with a fancy cooling and a (factory-)overclocked graphics card etc.
The enthusiasts of old are still out there, soldering pins to their motherboards to get those cut off USB ports going, flashing their 2900 pros to run like XTs, wiring in another PSU to get enough power for those 3 extra HDs and the self build cooling device. There are still enthusiasts out there modding cases to hold that extra PSU or that neat mini-ITX mainboard they got cheap off ebay and shun those 500$ cases like the mozart TX.
The enthusiasts are still around. They don't stick out anymore though. The press is all hot about the new heat-pipe solution Asus plugs on their 300$ motherboard that only 0,0001% of PC gamers will even consider. The attention goes toward the pre-overclocked high end ultra card shown off at the latest electronics fare. The enthusiasts are still there, buying some cheap 40$ asrock board, pencil-modding their CPUs to get a better FSB out of it, but the attention is focused on something else.
And, to be honest, i actually like it that way. With the press hyping those "enthusiast", "fatal1ty" stuff up for the lazy and rich, no one notices the cheap tricks and cheats available to extract more performance from cheap parts. I really hope the press and manufacturers forget about the real hardware enthusiasts, because soon after they will forget why they laser cut parts, why they break and lock their products to prohibit tech-savvy geeks to tweak it far beyond their intended performance.
March 11, 2008 1:48:20 PM

e2160 @3.0 ghz FTW!
March 11, 2008 3:10:15 PM

Reynod said:
Spent hours setting up the MFM controller card.....

MFM HDDs!!!! weeeeeee :bounce:  :lol: 

I had a few of them back in the day. One of my systems was setup on a wooden table because the case, which weighed a ton, was so expensive. I think the system was a 386 and used 30pin SIMMs. It also had an EGA monitor. :kaola:  :sol: 
a b à CPUs
January 26, 2011 7:04:12 PM

Quote:
Just woke up this dead thread.

Perhaps a ban is in order?
!