Please help, problem with new system

PhoenixRzn

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2007
So I just built a new system and I'm having some problems, can someone please help?

Components: Gigabyte P35-DS3R (version 2.1), E8400, 2 x 1 GB Crucial ballistix, 500 GB Seagate 7200.11, Arctic Cooling Silver 7 Pro, PC Silencer 610, 8800GTS 512MB XFX, XP Pro.

Whenever the system goes into standby, it won't boot back up. The HDD and fans start up, then after a few seconds stop, this continues until I kill the power. Then it boots fine.

The E8400 booted without needing to flash the bios, but the bios version is F9 and I think the newest is F11.
I have been contemplating flashing to the newest but am a bit hesitant since I've never done it before. The instruction in the MB manual seem easy enough tho.
Thanks in advance.

yomamafor1

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2007
Sounds like your XP hibernation files may be corrupt. You may need to repair that portion of your XP by putting your XP CD in, and click on "repair".

Flashing BIOS is not as hard as you might think, and it is really really easy. All you need is a flash drive (USB stick) with the newest BIOS. You may need to unzip the files onto the USB once you downloaded from the manufacturing site. Once done, enter BIOS screen, and there should be instructions on how to flash BIOS.

Usually, if there's nothing significantly wrong (not booting up for instance), you really don't need to flash your BIOS. However, since you're encountering problems with PC waking up, you can try flashing it.

akhilles

Splendid
In bios, if there's ACPI, enable it. And, set sleep mode to S3/Suspend to RAM/STR.

Look up your mobo manual to see if there's bios recovery. Like inserting a cd to flash back to default bios when the bios is corrupt. If so, go ahead & flash it with a floppy/cd/usb. Not in windows, though. You may have to press a combo of keys at post to run the flash utility. Like ALT-F2 for my board. Or maybe built into BIOS menu.