XP firewall stopping my ftp server

jpwilk

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2010
Hi all,
I set up an ftp server a an old computer with XP sp2 so family can download photos I put on there (there's a lot of them!).
They just typed in ftp://myipaddress and it worked great.
Suddenly everyone gets an "access denied" message or "425 Can't open data connection" error when you try to connect.
The pc just has Windows firewall running. If I turn off the firewall then I can access the ftp server,
I went to Control Panel/ Windows Firewall/ Exceptions and there is "FTP Server" with port 21 TCP checked and "FTP Data" with port 20 and ftp checked just as it was when I first set it up.
I tried deleting both Exceptions and adding them back in but still can't connect unless I turn the firewall off.
Any ideas what is going on?

Jeff

jpwilk

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2010
Well, I shut down the anti virus first but the fact that shutting down the firewall fixes the problem leads me to think it's the firewall.
This is a passive ftp connection. Is it possible it is somehow using other ports other than 20 and 21 and, if so, how do I find out what they are?

There's a lot of information out there on this. A simple-to-follow site is here:

http://slacksite.com/other/ftp.html

Abbasuddin

Reputable
Jan 31, 2016
Go to the firewall again and add this exception:
%SystemRoot%\system32\inetsrv\inetinfo.exe

Also don't forget to keep the 21 PORT open.

Hope this time you are ready to use the server.