Building New PC - Help!

yomamafor1

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2007
One word of advice: try not to purchase open box items. The new ones don't cost that much more than the open box items, and they bear way better warranties.

Other than that, this looks like a solid computer. Congrats. :)

mlaporta

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2008
Good build but 2 things... you may decide on a modular psu:
CORSAIR CMPSU-620HX ATX12V v2.2 and EPS12V 2.91 620W Power Supply

Not sure of that mobo... you may look at comparable one's from Ggabyte, Asus & Abit, read reviews and look at newegg comments (of course take them with a grain-of-salt... but somewhat helpful).

mlaporta

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2008
**ASUS P5E LGA 775 Intel X38 ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail

GIGABYTE GA-X38-DS4 LGA 775 Intel X38 ATX Intel Motherboard

ASUS MAXIMUS FORMULA LGA 775 Intel X38 ATX Intel Motherboard

ABIT IP35 Pro LGA 775 Intel P35 ATX Intel Motherboard

Maulanator3

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2008
Thanks for the quick responses!

I'm mostly attracted to the foxconn for it's ability to handle both DDR2 and DDR3 RAM, gives support for the 45nm processors, and has space for a crossfire setup (this gives me a LOT of upgrade options in the future)

I'll take a look at those other motherboards though, but i'm pretty happy with what i've read about the Foxconn, but more info is ALWAYS appreciated.

Appreciate the quick responses, keep them coming!

:D

EDIT: yomamafor1, i switched to a retail version of that same hard drive, thanks!

EDIT2: mlaporta, that power supply is waaay out of my budget, and with this foxconn im getting a good combo and mail in rebate deal to make the 4gb of ram cost something like 40 dollars in the end (can't beat that..)

That Gigabyte motherboard is very nice, but as I said I like the foxconn's ability to support DDR3, and without getting that RAM so cheap I could break my sensitive budget..

I hope the Antec NeoPower I'm looking at here is an acceptable PSU?

Also is everything in this build 100% compatible? appreciate the answers!