Storage Backup Software

airjocky2

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2008
So I just bought this Flacon Drive 1TB e-sata drive to back up my computer on. How do people generally use this? Is there free software out there (drive didn't come with any) that people use for back up or just drag and drop every so ofter to backup.

montyuk

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2008
try synctoys from microsoft, lets you set particular folders to watch on your main machine, like my videos/pictures/music and it will automatically update them when you make changes, it doesnt run all the time so just needs you to get in the habit of running it every now and then.

MrLinux

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2007
I take an image copy of the OS partition and just copy the data files to a USB drive, makes restoring the backup/data very easy.

The key to a good backup is to think about the restore, how would you get your data back if your original PC was completely dead?

steckman

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2006
I tried 3 or 4 different backup programs when I got my external drive (including a free one that came with it). I ended up using GoodSync. It has a 30-day trial and then has like a 2-user license for $30. It lets you easily specify the folders you want backed up and then you can either run those "jobs" manually or on an automated schedule.

TRENDING THREADS