slm4life

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2009
helllo i am havin' a problem use my hard drive i can't see it even though the cable is plugged to my lap top .it just shows me this kind of message on pop up "a usb device has malfunctioned and exccedded the power limites of its hub. you shoud disconncet the device .....and it lists under usb Root hub(8 ports)unkown usb device 2 times and unused ports 6 times . any body knows what it means - is there any thecnical problem in my hard drive...

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
I presume this is an external HDD. The message is telling you it is trying to use more power from the USB port than the port can provide. Most small external HDD units intended for use with laptops limit their power needs to what is supplied by a standard USB port. There are some, however, that meet their needs by using TWO cords for connection - the second one simply is to obtain the rest of its power needs that are not being supplied by the first cord.

On the other hand, larger external HDD's based on 3½" drives normally used in desktops almost always need more power than a single USB port can provide, and hence they come with their own power adapter.

So, in your case, does your external drive have a power adapter you are not using? If so, hook that up to give your unit the power it needs without depending on the laptop's USB port. Or, does your external HDD unit come with a cord system to connect lines from the TWO of the laptop's USB ports to the external unit? If so, do that.

Last possibility: your system was not designed to use that much power, but it is doing so, anyway. That means it is malfunctioning and needs repair or replacement.

slm4life

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2009
So, in your case, does your external drive have a power adapter you are not using? If so, hook that up to give your unit the power it needs without depending on the laptop's USB port. Or, does your external HDD unit come with a cord system to connect lines from the TWO of the laptop's USB ports to the external unit? If so, do that.

Last possibility: your system was not designed to use that much power, but it is doing so, anyway. That means it is malfunctioning and needs repair or replacement.[/quotemsg]

My external hard drive has a power adapter actually i am using the adapter . how do i repair the system from malfunctioning then ?

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
If you are getting that message indicating excessive power consumption from a USB port even when the power supply adapter is connected, I'd start checking the adapter. Shut down and disconnect the USB cable. Turn the external drive off, wait a few seconds, and turn it back on with its power adapter connected. Does it turn on smoothly? If not, you have a poor power adapter or a bad connection in that part of the system. Now try either to fix it, have a shop fix it, or maybe buy a replacement power adapter.

If the external drive starts OK with power only from its adapter, then we'll try one more thing. Leave the drive plugged into power and turn on the computer. When it has finished booting, plug in the USB cable from the external drive. Do you get that error message now? If not, try looking at the external drive in My computer. If it shows up, see if you can use it - open a file, save a file to it, or just try to change directory folders - and see whether that generates any errors. If you can use your external drive this way, maybe the solution is simply to turn on the external drive power supply before turning on the computer.

On the other hand if simply connecting a drive that already has power generates an excess power consumption message, there's something definitely wrong. Here is where swapping units can help. You can take the drive, its power adapter and USB cable to another computer and repeat the experiment. If the drive misbehaves in several places, the problem is in the drive. Alternatively, can you borrow another external drive from someone and connect it to your laptop? Maybe the problem is in the laptop if it always generates errors. Either way if this points more clearly to the trouble spot, you will have to choose whether to pay a shop to diagnose and fix, or just buy a replacement unit and make a permanent swap.