Sign in with
Your question

Best 8800GT cooler

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
February 24, 2008 6:51:18 AM

This is your opportunity to post and brag about your 8800GT. I want to buy an aftermarket cooler and dont know which one to get. I have two cards... 8800GT by EVGA and the stock cooler sucks.

What do you all have and what kind of temp decreases have you seen? I am thinking about the newer Zalman VF1000. I like how big it is and that it is still kind of single slot.

More about : 8800gt cooler

February 24, 2008 7:13:02 AM

i doubt its worth a upgrade unless ur gonna plop a water block on there and run a water system. Other then that dont waste ur time. maybe just take off the stock heatsink an re apply some artic silver on the gpu to stock heatsink if u ask me.
February 24, 2008 7:14:28 AM

Yes, go with the VF 1000. I just put it on yesterday and its great, although I recommend getting better RAM sinks mine seem to be loose and one actually fell off, so I haven't been able to get a stable over clock yet. I ordered some nicer ones from Thermaltake to put on. The fan is quiet and I welcomed it with open arms.

My temps hover about 38-40c idle and 46-47c under load.
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
a b U Graphics card
February 24, 2008 4:26:06 PM

I'm all for replacing that lousy stock cooler. Been a long time since I had to choose between annoyingly loud and blistering hot.

My VF-900 CU coolers are keeping me very happy but will not win any award for being the best. Stilll they do work for the 8800GT so I'll throw them in here. I had one in stock so buying a second was cheap compared to buying two more expensive coolers. Using the included fanmates to lower RPM, Temps and noise under load are way down compared to reference.

The stuff: http://img442.imageshack.us/my.php?image=zalmansmallgh8...

Before: http://img442.imageshack.us/img442/5200/bfgocstickersma...

After: http://img256.imageshack.us/img256/685/bfg8800gtvf900vm...
February 24, 2008 4:32:19 PM

knowsitall said:
i doubt its worth a upgrade unless ur gonna plop a water block on there and run a water system. Other then that dont waste ur time. maybe just take off the stock heatsink an re apply some artic silver on the gpu to stock heatsink if u ask me.

Well if you were a knowsitall, you would know that the 8800GT cooler definitely needs to be replaced.

I've been looking around for a bit. Many like the VF1000 (can never find it), Thermalright HR-03 GT (i think im getting this beast), Thermaltake DuOrb, and Zalman VF900.

The HR-03 is the best, but the most expensive and its big....
February 24, 2008 4:42:13 PM

Yea, that was the review that I was basing my finds off of.

Those are all pretty good except the one thing that throws off the ZEROtherm HC92 for me is that it is pretty loud
February 24, 2008 4:59:24 PM

pauldh said:
I'm all for replacing that lousy stock cooler. Been a long time since I had to choose between annoyingly loud and blistering hot.

My VF-900 CU coolers are keeping me very happy but will not win any award for being the best. Stilll they do work for the 8800GT so I'll throw them in here. I had one in stock so buying a second was cheap compared to buying two more expensive coolers. Using the included fanmates to lower RPM, Temps and noise under load are way down compared to reference.

Awesome Awesome... I didnt know that the VF-900 fit properly on 8800GT since it's not on product sheet. I really am thinking about those since they are small. I am running SLI and am very tight space and budget wise. Anybody else have success with any other products. Good post pauldh by the way.
February 24, 2008 5:16:41 PM

i just installed the zalman vf-900 on my 8800gt and love it! i was gonna order the akimbo hsf for the 8800gt but i got impatient and went to frys 2 days ago and got the vf-900.

i have the evga 8800gt 512 (base model) and temps used to be (without changing fan speed) 56cel. at idle and as high as 68cel. full load and no overclocking.

with the vf-900 installed it's at 40cel. at idle and 46cel. full load AND overclocked to 700/1000 from 600/900

also to add i used arcticsilver5 compound.

so i am happy with my being impatient!
February 24, 2008 5:18:13 PM

pauldh said:

I agree totally as I have one installed on my card as well. Not the best as pauldh stated, but does the job pretty well and is quiet.

Temps:
http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/ff305/kpo6969/AtiToo...
February 24, 2008 5:20:15 PM

I dunno... but after buying the new coolers and ramsinks, wouldn't it have been no more expensive to get two 8800GTS G92's?
February 24, 2008 5:36:27 PM

probably :p 
February 24, 2008 5:56:07 PM

Quite honestly, the HR-03 GT is probably the best but after you buy a fan for it, it's hovering around the $65-70 mark and that is not cost effective compared to the other options that already match the performance of the HR-03 GT.

I bought for my GTS 320 the ZeroTherm Hurricane HC92 8800 and let me tell you, it's an amazing cooler especially for the price, VERY easy installation, and overall feels very well built, the only complaint I might have is that it barely allows enough clearance for my X-Fi on the 2nd PCI slot. (Basically Triple slot cooler)

The second choice I'd consider is a cooler that my younger brother recently purchased for his 8800GT which is the Thermaltake DuOrb, it's also very good cooler, barely behind my Hurricane, but it's a dual slot instead of triple. Only drawback on this one for some people (not for me anyway) was that the installation required a little bit more of work assembling the cooler and that the instructions didn't help all that much, but that's what the internet is for anyway...

Review of Zerotherm Hurricane, Thermaltake DuOrb, HR-03 GT, and others (Including the Zalman VF900 and VF1000).

http://enthusiast.hardocp.com/article.html?art=MTQyMywxLCxoZW50aHVzaWFzdA==

My take on the Zalman VF1000 ($50-55) is that even though it's a decent cooler as far as performance goes, the price makes it a very unattractive purchase, especially considering that it's still below the $10 cheaper DuOrb.

I'd say get the Hurricane if you have enough room to spare on your case (Despite it's size, it's not a heavy cooler), but if you don't have enough room, then get the DuOrb.
February 24, 2008 6:33:16 PM

HR-03 GT = $50+shipping and a cheapo fan.
February 24, 2008 6:39:57 PM

IMO go for the zalman. At those temps there is going to be absolutly no difference in OCing or performance, I think teh zalman just looks a whole let better then the rest.

VF1000 ftw.
a b U Graphics card
February 24, 2008 6:49:55 PM

That [H] review was a good read. Not sure how I missed it before. Glad to see the VF900 hang in there so well.
a c 270 U Graphics card
February 24, 2008 7:00:35 PM

EVGA just announced the AKIMBO dual slot fan kit for the 8800GT. $39.99. In addition to better cooling it includes a bios update for EVGA cards. http://www.evga.com/products/moreinfo.asp?pn=202-F2-EV0...

It exhausts the hot air out the back of the case, keeping your other components cooler also. I don't see how you can do better than this.
February 24, 2008 7:06:26 PM

I'm happy with my VF900. Threads were junked on one of the mounting holes so I was getting really high temps. Emailed Zalman and they sent me a brand new VF900 that installed great. I'm idling at 36C right now. My OC'd Q6600 is idling at 32C with a Thermalright Ultra-120 Extreme. Pretty darn good if you ask me.
February 24, 2008 8:39:51 PM

doubletake33 said:
i just installed the zalman vf-900 on my 8800gt and love it! i was gonna order the akimbo hsf for the 8800gt but i got impatient and went to frys 2 days ago and got the vf-900.

i have the evga 8800gt 512 (base model) and temps used to be (without changing fan speed) 56cel. at idle and as high as 68cel. full load and no overclocking.

with the vf-900 installed it's at 40cel. at idle and 46cel. full load AND overclocked to 700/1000 from 600/900

also to add i used arcticsilver5 compound.

so i am happy with my being impatient!

This is a very attractive buy... I am very much considering these.
qwertycopter said:
I dunno... but after buying the new coolers and ramsinks, wouldn't it have been no more expensive to get two 8800GTS G92's?

I would have dont get me wrong... but I bought my cards when they came out in November of 07 well before they even speculated a GTS on the horizon.
geofelt said:
EVGA just announced the AKIMBO dual slot fan kit for the 8800GT. $39.99. In addition to better cooling it includes a bios update for EVGA cards. http://www.evga.com/products/moreinfo.asp?pn=202-F2-EV0...

It exhausts the hot air out the back of the case, keeping your other components cooler also. I don't see how you can do better than this.

Wow... I had no idea of such a product. I am very interested in seeing some reviews on this product.

Right now I am very limited as to my choices... I have an Antec 900 case and my GPU that is closest to the bottom PSU is very close cramped... I have no room for thermalright's huge cooler.

I want a cooler with a fan already mounted to it... I dont want to have to get more fans and worry about room.

Does anyone have the new EVGA cooler AKIMBO? I would like to hear some reviews on this product before I buy.

February 24, 2008 9:40:43 PM

hughyhunter said:
This is your opportunity to post and brag about your 8800GT. I want to buy an aftermarket cooler and dont know which one to get. I have two cards... 8800GT by EVGA and the stock cooler sucks.

What do you all have and what kind of temp decreases have you seen? I am thinking about the newer Zalman VF1000. I like how big it is and that it is still kind of single slot.

You should be careful about fitting third party coolers. When I spoke to BFG (they have a similar warranty to EVGA) they said I would invalidate my warranty if I fitted a third party cooler to my video card.

If you do want to get one Arctic Cooling Accelero S2 (theres an S1 version but that's for ATi cards, don't take my word for it check the details first!), it's passive but gives a lot better cooling then the standard HSF.
February 24, 2008 9:45:08 PM

EVGA does allow aftermarket coolers.

The S1 is for the 8800GT and new ATi's
a b U Graphics card
February 24, 2008 10:03:35 PM

hughyhunter said:
Awesome Awesome... I didnt know that the VF-900 fit properly on 8800GT since it's not on product sheet. I really am thinking about those since they are small. I am running SLI and am very tight space and budget wise. Anybody else have success with any other products. Good post pauldh by the way.

Yeah, I have SLI 8800GT in a small Sonata II even. The VF900 is working well even with a huge X-Fi fatality under it. I am even able to still use the stock Sonata cpu ducting. Here's a pic while putting things back together. (Sorry for the chipset heatpipe glare)
http://img180.imageshack.us/img180/4624/vf900ssmallmr4....

February 24, 2008 10:37:48 PM

If you're not able to fit the DuOrb then you're most likely not able to fit an Akimbo either, because both are dual slot coolers (Meaning that they take 2 expansions slots instead of the single slot design of the stock cooler). I was going to suggest the Accelero S1 + Accelero fan kit, but that's another triple slot solution, so it's a no-go for you either.

I would suggest to look for the DuOrb or if priced properly, the Zerotherm GX815 or Zalman VF900, which are also decent coolers for the money (Usually hovering around $30), but with the the last two I mentioned I recommend that you make sure that the kit is complete to fit a 8800GT (enough heatsinks), because I only know for a fact that the DuOrb kit is complete, since I already installed it.
February 24, 2008 11:58:08 PM

I ordered an AKIMBO cooler on friday when I get it ill let you guys know the results. Its going on a BFG 8800gt hopefully it fits!
February 25, 2008 3:53:36 AM

Silverion77 said:
EVGA does allow aftermarket coolers.

The S1 is for the 8800GT and new ATi's

The S1 Revision 2 is the correct one. There are still alot of origional S1's out there.

http://www.arctic-cooling.com/vga2.php?idx=147
February 25, 2008 4:48:51 AM

Does anyone know if the Zalman GV-1000 fits on the HD3870??? i checked it out o nthe compatability sheet and theres no listing of it :(  Can anyone suggest me a good 3rd party cooler for it?
February 25, 2008 6:10:14 AM

emp said:
If you're not able to fit the DuOrb then you're most likely not able to fit an Akimbo either, because both are dual slot coolers (Meaning that they take 2 expansions slots instead of the single slot design of the stock cooler). I was going to suggest the Accelero S1 + Accelero fan kit, but that's another triple slot solution, so it's a no-go for you either.

I would suggest to look for the DuOrb or if priced properly, the Zerotherm GX815 or Zalman VF900, which are also decent coolers for the money (Usually hovering around $30), but with the the last two I mentioned I recommend that you make sure that the kit is complete to fit a 8800GT (enough heatsinks), because I only know for a fact that the DuOrb kit is complete, since I already installed it.

I'm liking both the VF900 and the AKIMBO right now... torn between the two...

troy5061 said:
I ordered an AKIMBO cooler on friday when I get it ill let you guys know the results. Its going on a BFG 8800gt hopefully it fits!

I'm definitely going to wait until you post back before I buy one of these... will you take temp readings before and after idle/load? It says to flash both cards bios too. I really am liking the AKIMBO and might get two of these based on some positive reviews.
February 26, 2008 4:21:20 PM

Does anyone have more info on the Akimbo cooler from EVGA? I am curious if this is a competitor for the zalman HSF... I want to buy soon and I dont know what to get. I like the Akimbo that it blows it out the back but the zalmans look like a promising buy.
February 26, 2008 7:09:29 PM

kpo6969 said:
The S1 Revision 2 is the correct one. There are still alot of origional S1's out there.

http://www.arctic-cooling.com/vga2.php?idx=147

Revision does not matter, they both work for the 8800GT I have installed V1 On a 8800Gt and it works great.

See this thread for more information.

http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1261100

I am appalled that not more people are not suggesting the S1. I Have it in a coolermaster 690 case running passive and temps do not go over 54 C under load.
February 26, 2008 7:27:11 PM

Another vote for the vf-900 here ! I got one on my 8800gt and temps are around 39, 40 idle and 52 load after playing Crysis for a couple of hours.
February 26, 2008 8:55:46 PM

Love my vf-900. Lowered the temps on my 8800gt by 20 degrees.
February 26, 2008 10:13:44 PM

Does anyone own AKIMBO yet and have any temperature reviews (ie before/after... load/idle)
February 27, 2008 3:33:58 AM

Rip181 said:
Revision does not matter, they both work for the 8800GT I have installed V1 On a 8800Gt and it works great.

See this thread for more information.

http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1261100

I am appalled that not more people are not suggesting the S1. I Have it in a coolermaster 690 case running passive and temps do not go over 54 C under load.

Maybe some people would want the newer product and not the discontinued model?
http://www.arctic-cooling.com/disc_prod1.php?type=2
http://www.arctic-cooling.com/vga2.php?disc=1&idx=138
Doesn't matter regardless, who ever you are. Who's going to win the primary next Tues?
March 3, 2008 2:55:34 AM

Well I decided to go with the Zalman VF1000. I would have gone with the Akimbo but haven't seen any thorough reviews.

The VF900 was a second choice but for only 6 extra bucks got a few extra heat pipes.

I will write my thorough review on this product including before and after temps @ idle/load and my max overclocks. I'll include some in house pics to go along with them. :bounce: 
March 10, 2008 3:43:21 AM

Just received the Zalman VF1000 coolers, installed them and here are my thoughts and findings:

With stock coolers and with auto settings temperatures were 51 idle; 64 load with Crysis benchmark.
With stock coolers and 100% fan settings and with an overclock of 720/995 temperatures with same Crysis benchmark were 42 idle; 48 load.

With new Zalman VF1000 coolers with very little (almost afraid I didnt put enough) arctic silver 5, I was largely disappointed with the results:
Idle settings with the 720/995 overclock never exceeded 42~43 and under full load with 3dmark06 I got temperatures in excess of 60... hit 61 for a split second. I dont know what I would have been getting with stock coolers because I opted to use Crysis for that benchmark. I did get upwards of 58 in the Crysis benchmark though. This is far from the hardocp review of the cooler. Granted all these tests with the new coolers were performed at the lowest fan speed (another reason why I wanted after market coolers to keep the noise down with an overclock) I still feel that my 105 bucks wasnt put to much good.

Not to mention that the coolers knobs that stick up past the SLI connector were too high for my bridge connector so I had to trim the knobs off with a saw. That wasnt fun!

I would personally go with the cheaper solution if I could have done it again. Maybe the thermalright would have been a better buy... just not enough space in my tight rig!

I would attach some pictures but I'm not in a very excited mood about my accomplishments.

After all the work I am still stuck at 720/995. I cant go any higher... I originally thought that the temps were my limiting factor but have soon found out that my SLI rig isnt after all really overclockable.
March 10, 2008 2:05:20 PM

That sucks, but isn't there a break-in period for AS5? Like 200 hours with several thermal cycles?

Also, why not turn up the fan a bit and see what results you get? And what sort of airflow does your case get?
March 10, 2008 6:29:06 PM

Yes it is somewhat disappointing. I didnt know there was a break in period for the AS5. I am however worried that I may have too much on one cooler and not enough on the other.

CPUID hardware monitor seems to see both cards temps and one cooler says 45 and the other says 43 right now at idle. This is much higher than I expected but still about 10 lower than with stock coolers.

I have the Antec 900 case. 2x120mm on low in front, 200mm on low on top, 120mm on cpu cooler blowing up, 120mm on low in rear, 120mm side blowing in onto the gpu's. I would think this would be a pretty good cooling case. Sometime here I'll set all fans on medium and see what I get... that's loud though.

Alright.... gpu fans have been on high for about 5 mins now and temps are 42 and 41... so not much of a diff... I'll give that break in period some time... put some load on it too... i'll report back after about 10 cycles of crysis benchmark.
March 10, 2008 7:13:57 PM

You should do the following:

1.) Change the orientation of the window fan, Negative airflow > Positive airflow as far as cooling goes, otherwise you're creating a convection oven effect on your case by having too much air going in than out (should be more going out than in, work this calculations on fans' CFMs and not on amount of fans)

2.) There is a curing period for AS5 and pretty much any other thermal compound that I know of, somewhere around 200 hours sounds right for the AS5, however I'd use AS Ceramique over AS5 (Slightly more expensive though).

3.) Idle temps are not too drastically impacted by aftermarket cooling, what matters most are load temps. Before I used to get under full stress my GTS (621/1566/945) from idle (53 c) up to load (80-82 c), after I added my Zerotherm Hurricane I get idle (45-46 c) and load (~62-65 c) with an overclock of 648/1620/972. If you notice there isn't much difference on idle, but under load there is a difference of nearly 20 degrees and I'm using even higher frequencies.
March 10, 2008 7:48:26 PM

I am overclocked to 720/1794/995 whereas before I wasn't overclocked at all. I guess that those temps aren't bad. I have never broke 61 so I should be thankful.

I have 3 120mm intakes. I have 1 120mm and a larger 200mm exhaust. Maybe I'll keep the intakes the same on low and raise both exhaust fans to medium. I will do that today. I really need to get some thick smoke like incense or sage and see the airflow for myself. There is probably a lot of turbulent air right around the GPUs.

Thanks for the advice... I'll report with more findings later.
March 10, 2008 8:50:21 PM

Alright, make sure that you create a higher exhaust current than intake, easiest way is placing more exhaust fans of same CFM than intakes (I have 2 120mm intakes, 2 120mm, and 200m exhaust on my Nine Hundred) which creates great airflow.
March 20, 2008 12:50:52 AM

I ended up turning all my fans to low except exhaust. The 200mm is on medium and the 120mm rear is on medium. I think this is good but wont be able to tell without tons of smoke rolling through case.

My temps now after a few weeks are not that bad. I'm getting around 55 with gpu fan @ 100%. This is with ATI tool running with an overclock of 715/1780/995. So I'm not too disatisfied. I think though that I could have gotten the same results with a lot cheaper product.
March 31, 2008 1:05:29 AM

I'm really getting sick of these Zalman VF1000's. I cleaned up the case wireing and got rid of the fan controllers for the Zalmans. Come to find out that the fan power connector isnt the same fitting as the 8800GT fan output connector. So I had to hook up fans to mainboard. Now they run at 100% regardless. Tried to go into bios and set output to those aux fan speed to lower but didnt seem to make a diff for the noise. Any advice? Is there software that can contol the fan speed from the mainboard? I will try speedfan when I get home... anything else anyone can think of?
March 31, 2008 5:30:19 PM

I wanted to show off a bit of the rig and show why not to get the Zalman VF1000 cooler if you have SLI.

Where the SLI connector goes over the first VGA cooler there were metal knob like things sticking up past the SLI connector. So I had to saw them off. Another thing is the fan connectors aren't compatible with the connector on the card so I have to hook it up to mainboard and that is 100%... Very loud till I figure out how something else.

" alt="" class="imgLz frmImg " />
!