Sign in with
Your question

Additional memory not recognized

Last response: in Windows XP
July 11, 2010 8:10:54 PM

Hello,
I have a dell pc XP professional and when I restart my system it says O S Install mode enabled. Amount of available memory
limited to 256MB. Strike the F1 key to continue. F2 to run the setup utility." windows will start but is not using additional memory that was installed earlier so it is runmning very slow.It has 1280 MB DDR SDRAM. If I disable the OS install mode I get a message that says Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt: System 32\Drivers\pci.sys . Has anyone else ever had this happen and how do i fix it?
July 11, 2010 9:12:44 PM

On a dell, very frequently you will have to do a repair install of XP to get the system configured after installing more memory. Sometimes dell even crashes after installing new memory.

One thing to check is that the new memory is plugged into the correct slots. Another thing to check is that you installed the correct matching memory modules.

The directions for the repair install are located in Tom's XP forum, fifth post from the top.

The repair install does not erase the personal files. You do not reformat or delete the partitions. What it will do is get the machine running OK again.
m
l
!