UE error - have tried many things, no luck

Hello. I get unhandled exception error when I try to run Tribes 2.
When I use defense turret, I get this info:

Tribes2 - DefenseTurret Exception Parachute
Date : Sat May 22 16:28:59 2004
Exception code: 00040007
Fault address: 00C70000 00:00A40000
Registers:
EAX:00000000
EBX:00C6D1F0
ECX:8199FCE4
EDX:00000000
ESI:00000000
EDI:02771A08
CS:EIP:C6D218:FFECBAD7
SS:ESP:0000:0000000D EBP:00C6D358
DS:28C9EB0 ES:27E0ECC FS:0000 GS:28C9EB0
Flags:00C6D1FC
Failed On IMAGEHLP:SymInitialize
IMAGEHLP:SymInitialize returned error : 7e
Call stack:
Address Frame Logical addr Module
FFECBAD7 00C6D358 0000:00000000

--lots of addresses---

No IMAGEHLP.DLL. Symbol trace not done.

I have checked that imagehlp.dll and kernel32.dll are ok. Other things
that I have done:

- run adaware and spybot : no ad- or spyware
- deleted .dso files
- installed latest drivers for graphic card
- no need for new motherboard drivers -> they dont exist
(- dont have VIA chipset, but SiS)
- renamed OpenGL2d3d.dll to OpenGL2d3d.bak
- $pref::SkipIntro = "1"
- Reduced the Hardware Sound Acceleration by one notch
- checked that directX display accelerations are on
- reduced AGP Speed from 4x to 2x.
- closed down any unnecessary programs
- switched OpenGL to D3D:
$pref::Video::allowD3D = "1";
$pref::Video::allowOpenGL = "0";
$pref::Video::displayDevice = "D3D";
$pref::Video::preferOpenGL = "0";

I think I will not try to update my motherboards bios, the risk is not
worth it. Tribes 2 is the only game I am having trouble with. My
system is:

Win98
Asus P4S533-E motherboard, 256 mb ram, 1.7 GHZ Celeron
Ati AIW 9000 pro

I was able to play Tribes with this machine, last year, but then when
I updated display driver and installed defense turret problems
started. First I was able to see lobby and game, with horrible screen
flicker. The game was unplayable. Now I cant see nothing, I just get
UE, when I try to start game.
So, is there anything I can do or try? Is anyone else having UE
problems? (heh) I dont understand why this game is so unstable? It
used to be one of my favs, but now I cant play it. Well, maybe it is
time to move on. Bye, bye Tribes 2 :´(

Try deleting all .dso from the Tribes 2 dir.

Rudy

"Johan Lindberg" <joha_lind@yahoo.se> wrote in message
> Hello. I get unhandled exception error when I try to run Tribes 2.
> When I use defense turret, I get this info:
>
> Tribes2 - DefenseTurret Exception Parachute
> Date : Sat May 22 16:28:59 2004
> Exception code: 00040007
> Fault address: 00C70000 00:00A40000
> Registers:
> EAX:00000000
> EBX:00C6D1F0
> ECX:8199FCE4
> EDX:00000000
> ESI:00000000
> EDI:02771A08
> CS:EIP:C6D218:FFECBAD7
> SS:ESP:0000:0000000D EBP:00C6D358
> DS:28C9EB0 ES:27E0ECC FS:0000 GS:28C9EB0
> Flags:00C6D1FC
> Failed On IMAGEHLP:SymInitialize
> IMAGEHLP:SymInitialize returned error : 7e
> Call stack:
> Address Frame Logical addr Module
> FFECBAD7 00C6D358 0000:00000000
>
> --lots of addresses---

> No IMAGEHLP.DLL. Symbol trace not done.
>
> I have checked that imagehlp.dll and kernel32.dll are ok. Other things
> that I have done:
>
> - run adaware and spybot : no ad- or spyware
> - deleted .dso files
> - installed latest drivers for graphic card
> - no need for new motherboard drivers -> they dont exist
> (- dont have VIA chipset, but SiS)
> - renamed OpenGL2d3d.dll to OpenGL2d3d.bak
> - $pref::SkipIntro = "1"
> - Reduced the Hardware Sound Acceleration by one notch
> - checked that directX display accelerations are on
> - reduced AGP Speed from 4x to 2x.
> - closed down any unnecessary programs
> - switched OpenGL to D3D:
> $pref::Video::allowD3D = "1";
> $pref::Video::allowOpenGL = "0";
> $pref::Video::displayDevice = "D3D";
> $pref::Video::preferOpenGL = "0";
>
> I think I will not try to update my motherboards bios, the risk is not
> worth it. Tribes 2 is the only game I am having trouble with. My
> system is:
>
> Win98
> Asus P4S533-E motherboard, 256 mb ram, 1.7 GHZ Celeron
> Ati AIW 9000 pro
>
> I was able to play Tribes with this machine, last year, but then when
> I updated display driver and installed defense turret problems
> started. First I was able to see lobby and game, with horrible screen
> flicker. The game was unplayable. Now I cant see nothing, I just get
> UE, when I try to start game.
> So, is there anything I can do or try? Is anyone else having UE
> problems? (heh) I dont understand why this game is so unstable? It
> used to be one of my favs, but now I cant play it. Well, maybe it is
> time to move on. Bye, bye Tribes 2 :´(

Win98 and DT are not always stable together.

Remember: If it breaks, you get to keep both pieces.

You could also try lowering particle density setting.
I tend to get more UE's if I have it set too high.

Hope this is of some use to you.

Well, I tried one last thing. Installed Sis-chipset drivers for my
motherboard. That was wrong move. Got "windows protection error."
Uninstall did not help. Updated bios, no help. Decided to reformat
hard drive, but no luck. Windows cant install or start, not even in
safe mode. Looks like I need a new motherboard. But maybe Tribes will
work with that one ;) I dont know if I should :D or :´( Or maybe I
will switch to playstation2, and play tribes with that.

Hello, Johan!
You wrote on 24 May 2004 03:35:36 -0700:

JL> Well, I tried one last thing. Installed Sis-chipset drivers for my
JL> motherboard. That was wrong move. Got "windows protection error."
JL> Uninstall did not help. Updated bios, no help. Decided to reformat
JL> hard drive, but no luck. Windows cant install or start, not even in
JL> safe mode. Looks like I need a new motherboard. But maybe Tribes will
JL> work with that one ;) I dont know if I should :D or :´( Or maybe I
JL> will switch to playstation2, and play tribes with that.

Oh god.

Just reset the motherboard.