Home Network Questions

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Hiya,

I've just set up a home network consisting of my main computer and a
backup. After a certain amount of fumbling, stumbling, and a bit of
grumbling, I'm amazed to find that it basically works!

I still need to sort some stuff out but there are a couple of
immediate questions I would like some help and/or advice on.

The backup machine is a cheap & nasty (secondhand) one but it does
have XP Pro on it.

I bought it so that I could have immediate access should my main one
go down and so I've installed McAfee Firewall & Avast (Home)
Antivirus. Its only got a 6.4MB hard drive though so I've undated XP
except for SP2.

The first thing I would like to know, when the backup is part of a
home network, is why the backup connects to the internet (thru my main
computer) as soon as it has loaded windows - I dunno how to identify
which program is doing it.

I've looked at the firewall on the backup & am amzed to find there are
22 instances of "Windows Service Pack Setup" (update.exe) which have
been allowed full access - anyone any idea why?

Hope the foregoing makes sense, I'm in a bit of a rush & have probably
forgotten other important questions1

--

John Latter

Model of an Internal Evolutionary Mechanism (based on an extension to homeostasis) linking Stationary-Phase Mutations to the Baldwin Effect.
http://members.aol.com/jorolat/TEM.html

'Where Darwin meets Lamarck?' Discussion Egroup

In article <n0hpe155rocuqilb1t631r6t1oqparnme3@4ax.com>, John Latter
<jorolat@tiscali.co.uk> wrote:
>Hiya,
>
>I've just set up a home network consisting of my main computer and a
>backup. After a certain amount of fumbling, stumbling, and a bit of
>grumbling, I'm amazed to find that it basically works!
>
>I still need to sort some stuff out but there are a couple of
>immediate questions I would like some help and/or advice on.
>
>The backup machine is a cheap & nasty (secondhand) one but it does
>have XP Pro on it.
>
>I bought it so that I could have immediate access should my main one
>go down and so I've installed McAfee Firewall & Avast (Home)
>Antivirus. Its only got a 6.4MB hard drive though so I've undated XP
>except for SP2.
>
>The first thing I would like to know, when the backup is part of a
>home network, is why the backup connects to the internet (thru my main
>computer) as soon as it has loaded windows - I dunno how to identify
>which program is doing it.
>
>I've looked at the firewall on the backup & am amzed to find there are
>22 instances of "Windows Service Pack Setup" (update.exe) which have
>been allowed full access - anyone any idea why?
>
>Hope the foregoing makes sense, I'm in a bit of a rush & have probably
>forgotten other important questions1

Many programs, including Avast and McAfee, try to update themselves
from the Internet as soon as Windows loads. You could change the
McAfee firewall settings by removing Internet access permission from
all programs, then see what alerts McAfee gives.

SP2 has significant security updates. I'd run Disk Cleanup, remove
unnecessary files, and see if that gives enough disk space for the
update.
--
Best Wishes,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

You mean GB, right? :p
"John Latter" <jorolat@tiscali.co.uk> wrote in message
> Hiya,
>
> I've just set up a home network consisting of my main computer and a
> backup. After a certain amount of fumbling, stumbling, and a bit of
> grumbling, I'm amazed to find that it basically works!
>
> I still need to sort some stuff out but there are a couple of
> immediate questions I would like some help and/or advice on.
>
> The backup machine is a cheap & nasty (secondhand) one but it does
> have XP Pro on it.
>
> I bought it so that I could have immediate access should my main one
> go down and so I've installed McAfee Firewall & Avast (Home)
> Antivirus. Its only got a 6.4MB hard drive though so I've undated XP
> except for SP2.
>
> The first thing I would like to know, when the backup is part of a
> home network, is why the backup connects to the internet (thru my main
> computer) as soon as it has loaded windows - I dunno how to identify
> which program is doing it.
>
> I've looked at the firewall on the backup & am amzed to find there are
> 22 instances of "Windows Service Pack Setup" (update.exe) which have
> been allowed full access - anyone any idea why?
>
> Hope the foregoing makes sense, I'm in a bit of a rush & have probably
> forgotten other important questions1
>
> --
>
> John Latter
>
> Model of an Internal Evolutionary Mechanism (based on an extension to
> homeostasis) linking Stationary-Phase Mutations to the Baldwin Effect.
> http://members.aol.com/jorolat/TEM.html
>
> 'Where Darwin meets Lamarck?' Discussion Egroup
> http://groups.yahoo.com/group/evomech

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

On Sun, 31 Jul 2005 15:33:21 +0100, "Edward Whiteley"
<edward@hotmail.co.uk> wrote:

>You mean GB, right? :p

Er, yes...

Jorolat :)

>"John Latter" <jorolat@tiscali.co.uk> wrote in message
>> Hiya,
>>
>> I've just set up a home network consisting of my main computer and a
>> backup. After a certain amount of fumbling, stumbling, and a bit of
>> grumbling, I'm amazed to find that it basically works!
>>
>> I still need to sort some stuff out but there are a couple of
>> immediate questions I would like some help and/or advice on.
>>
>> The backup machine is a cheap & nasty (secondhand) one but it does
>> have XP Pro on it.
>>
>> I bought it so that I could have immediate access should my main one
>> go down and so I've installed McAfee Firewall & Avast (Home)
>> Antivirus. Its only got a 6.4MB hard drive though so I've undated XP
>> except for SP2.
>>
>> The first thing I would like to know, when the backup is part of a
>> home network, is why the backup connects to the internet (thru my main
>> computer) as soon as it has loaded windows - I dunno how to identify
>> which program is doing it.
>>
>> I've looked at the firewall on the backup & am amzed to find there are
>> 22 instances of "Windows Service Pack Setup" (update.exe) which have
>> been allowed full access - anyone any idea why?
>>
>> Hope the foregoing makes sense, I'm in a bit of a rush & have probably
>> forgotten other important questions1
>>
>> --
>>
>> John Latter
>>
>> Model of an Internal Evolutionary Mechanism (based on an extension to
>> homeostasis) linking Stationary-Phase Mutations to the Baldwin Effect.
>> http://members.aol.com/jorolat/TEM.html
>>
>> 'Where Darwin meets Lamarck?' Discussion Egroup
>> http://groups.yahoo.com/group/evomech

--

John Latter

Model of an Internal Evolutionary Mechanism (based on an extension to homeostasis) linking Stationary-Phase Mutations to the Baldwin Effect.
http://members.aol.com/jorolat/TEM.html

'Where Darwin meets Lamarck?' Discussion Egroup

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

On Sun, 31 Jul 2005 11:34:47 -0600, "Steve Winograd [MVP]"
<winograd@pobox.com> wrote:

>In article <n0hpe155rocuqilb1t631r6t1oqparnme3@4ax.com>, John Latter
><jorolat@tiscali.co.uk> wrote:
>>Hiya,
>>
>>I've just set up a home network consisting of my main computer and a
>>backup. After a certain amount of fumbling, stumbling, and a bit of
>>grumbling, I'm amazed to find that it basically works!
>>
>>I still need to sort some stuff out but there are a couple of
>>immediate questions I would like some help and/or advice on.
>>
>>The backup machine is a cheap & nasty (secondhand) one but it does
>>have XP Pro on it.
>>
>>I bought it so that I could have immediate access should my main one
>>go down and so I've installed McAfee Firewall & Avast (Home)
>>Antivirus. Its only got a 6.4MB hard drive though so I've undated XP
>>except for SP2.
>>
>>The first thing I would like to know, when the backup is part of a
>>home network, is why the backup connects to the internet (thru my main
>>computer) as soon as it has loaded windows - I dunno how to identify
>>which program is doing it.
>>
>>I've looked at the firewall on the backup & am amzed to find there are
>>22 instances of "Windows Service Pack Setup" (update.exe) which have
>>been allowed full access - anyone any idea why?
>>
>>Hope the foregoing makes sense, I'm in a bit of a rush & have probably
>>forgotten other important questions1
>
>Many programs, including Avast and McAfee, try to update themselves
>from the Internet as soon as Windows loads. You could change the
>McAfee firewall settings by removing Internet access permission from
>all programs, then see what alerts McAfee gives.
>
>SP2 has significant security updates. I'd run Disk Cleanup, remove
>unnecessary files, and see if that gives enough disk space for the
>update.

Thanks for the info & advice Steve. The backup system (offline now for
a couple of days) only has 4 & a bit GBs left - any idea how much SP2
will take of this? Obvioulsy I could install SP2 & see but I thought
I'ld ask first!

--

In article <3q3qe1dpu2tccs9jo2gjg4nmijrsemomo3@4ax.com>, John Latter
<jorolat@tiscali.co.uk> wrote:
>>>I've just set up a home network consisting of my main computer and a
>>>backup. After a certain amount of fumbling, stumbling, and a bit of
>>>grumbling, I'm amazed to find that it basically works!
>>>
>>>I still need to sort some stuff out but there are a couple of
>>>immediate questions I would like some help and/or advice on.
>>>
>>>The backup machine is a cheap & nasty (secondhand) one but it does
>>>have XP Pro on it.
>>>
>>>I bought it so that I could have immediate access should my main one
>>>go down and so I've installed McAfee Firewall & Avast (Home)
>>>Antivirus. Its only got a 6.4MB hard drive though so I've undated XP
>>>except for SP2.
>>>
>>>The first thing I would like to know, when the backup is part of a
>>>home network, is why the backup connects to the internet (thru my main
>>>computer) as soon as it has loaded windows - I dunno how to identify
>>>which program is doing it.
>>>
>>>I've looked at the firewall on the backup & am amzed to find there are
>>>22 instances of "Windows Service Pack Setup" (update.exe) which have
>>>been allowed full access - anyone any idea why?
>>>
>>>Hope the foregoing makes sense, I'm in a bit of a rush & have probably
>>>forgotten other important questions1
>>
>>Many programs, including Avast and McAfee, try to update themselves
>>from the Internet as soon as Windows loads. You could change the
>>McAfee firewall settings by removing Internet access permission from
>>all programs, then see what alerts McAfee gives.
>>
>>SP2 has significant security updates. I'd run Disk Cleanup, remove
>>unnecessary files, and see if that gives enough disk space for the
>>update.
>
>Thanks for the info & advice Steve. The backup system (offline now for
>a couple of days) only has 4 & a bit GBs left - any idea how much SP2
>will take of this? Obvioulsy I could install SP2 & see but I thought
>I'ld ask first!

You're welcome, John. According to this Microsoft web page, the SP2
upgrade requires 1.8 GB free space:

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/sp2/sysreqs.mspx
--
Best Wishes,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

The firewall just recorded how many times the SP Setup for each update
accessd the Internet - you probably have 22 Win updates installed. The setup
needs to communicate wtih WU to "know" what particular updates your
hardware/software configuration require, if the installation was succesful,
what else you need. You do not have 22 SP Setups running on your machine,
though.
"Undating" (?) SP2 is not a safe move, I guess.
Since you're so low on disk space (guess 6.4GB -not MB), you can either:
1. buy a larger, faster hard drive - 80GB (7200 rpm, UATA100 +) sells for
$50 or so; 40GB sells at similar price.
2. create a slipstreamed SP2 using NLite (google for it); trim some of the
stuff (wordpad, internet games, movie-maker, Tour, other languages, unneeded
drivers etc) and then create an XP Install CD. There are many sites that
have other options for slimming XP.
Well, if you have an OEM XP 'tied' to that small HDD, I assume it's already
trimmed down and you have little decent options left: compressing the drive,
additional (internal/external) drive etc.
Michael

"John Latter" <jorolat@tiscali.co.uk> wrote in message
> Hiya,
>
> I've just set up a home network consisting of my main computer and a
> backup. After a certain amount of fumbling, stumbling, and a bit of
> grumbling, I'm amazed to find that it basically works!

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

On Sun, 31 Jul 2005 13:19:16 -0600, "Steve Winograd [MVP]"
<winograd@pobox.com> wrote:

>>>Many programs, including Avast and McAfee, try to update themselves
>>>from the Internet as soon as Windows loads. You could change the
>>>McAfee firewall settings by removing Internet access permission from
>>>all programs, then see what alerts McAfee gives.
>>>
>>>SP2 has significant security updates. I'd run Disk Cleanup, remove
>>>unnecessary files, and see if that gives enough disk space for the
>>>update.
>>
>>Thanks for the info & advice Steve. The backup system (offline now for
>>a couple of days) only has 4 & a bit GBs left - any idea how much SP2
>>will take of this? Obvioulsy I could install SP2 & see but I thought
>>I'ld ask first!
>
>You're welcome, John. According to this Microsoft web page, the SP2
>upgrade requires 1.8 GB free space:
>
>http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/sp2/sysreqs.mspx

'gulp' guess I'm gonna have to get a new disc I guess!

--

In article <hp7re194ar0hsmrehdbinhqf8l66unoe60@4ax.com>, John Latter
<jorolat@tiscali.co.uk> wrote:
>>>Thanks for the info & advice Steve. The backup system (offline now for
>>>a couple of days) only has 4 & a bit GBs left - any idea how much SP2
>>>will take of this? Obvioulsy I could install SP2 & see but I thought
>>>I'ld ask first!
>>
>>You're welcome, John. According to this Microsoft web page, the SP2
>>upgrade requires 1.8 GB free space:
>>
>>http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/sp2/sysreqs.mspx
>
>'gulp' guess I'm gonna have to get a new disc I guess!

Why? The upgrade requires 1.8 GB free, and you said that the backup
system has over 4 GB.
--

On Sun, 31 Jul 2005 22:58:12 -0400, "Phillips" <afn18721@afn.org>
wrote:

>The firewall just recorded how many times the SP Setup for each update
>accessd the Internet - you probably have 22 Win updates installed. The setup
>needs to communicate wtih WU to "know" what particular updates your
>hardware/software configuration require, if the installation was succesful,
>what else you need. You do not have 22 SP Setups running on your machine,
>though.
>"Undating" (?) SP2 is not a safe move, I guess.

That makes sense to me Michael - tks!

I was downloading via the network & I guess the 22 setups were trying
direct access.

>Since you're so low on disk space (guess 6.4GB -not MB), you can either:
>1. buy a larger, faster hard drive - 80GB (7200 rpm, UATA100 +) sells for
>$50 or so; 40GB sells at similar price.
>2. create a slipstreamed SP2 using NLite (google for it); trim some of the
>stuff (wordpad, internet games, movie-maker, Tour, other languages, unneeded
>drivers etc) and then create an XP Install CD. There are many sites that
>have other options for slimming XP.
>Well, if you have an OEM XP 'tied' to that small HDD, I assume it's already
>trimmed down and you have little decent options left: compressing the drive,
>additional (internal/external) drive etc.
>Michael

I bought the backup machine off of ebay, it has XP Pro installed and a
COA sticker but there aren't any discs. The machine is a Compaq
Deskpro, its probably 5 years old and I'm 99% certain that XP wasn't
the original OS.

I've only had a quick look inside so far, the hard drive is out of
sight but doesn't appear to be a 'standard' size. BRB...

This is it:

http://www.ciao.co.uk/Fujitsu_Desktop_MPD3064AT_6_4_GB__5405792

I'll either have to try cloning onto a larger disc size (capacity
wise) or see if I can borrow a XP Pro OEM disc & use the COA on that I
guess

'sigh'

Thanks for the info anyway! :)

>"John Latter" <jorolat@tiscali.co.uk> wrote in message
>> Hiya,
>>
>> I've just set up a home network consisting of my main computer and a
>> backup. After a certain amount of fumbling, stumbling, and a bit of
>> grumbling, I'm amazed to find that it basically works!

John Latter

Model of an Internal Evolutionary Mechanism (based on an extension to homeostasis) linking Stationary-Phase Mutations to the Baldwin Effect.
http://members.aol.com/jorolat/TEM.html

'Where Darwin meets Lamarck?' Discussion Egroup

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

On Sun, 31 Jul 2005 22:25:52 -0600, "Steve Winograd [MVP]"
<winograd@pobox.com> wrote:

>>>You're welcome, John. According to this Microsoft web page, the SP2
>>>upgrade requires 1.8 GB free space:
>>>
>>>http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/sp2/sysreqs.mspx
>>
>>'gulp' guess I'm gonna have to get a new disc I guess!
>
>Why? The upgrade requires 1.8 GB free, and you said that the backup
>system has over 4 GB.

Er, I should have read the link first. I wanted to know how much of my
existing freespace SP2 would take.