Motherboard confusion

Peaks

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2008
Hello all,

I am new to all this, and new to this forum so my questions may seem some what silly, possibly even obvious.

I currently have the nvidia 680i SLI motherboard, running a Q6600. I want to overclock, simply to satisfy my curiousity. I have looked around the internet for advice, (even looked on this forum) and it seems to me that the 680i chipset is not the way to go. From my knowledge they are hard to overclock yielding poor results with high temperatures. True??

What i want to know realy is what chipset is the best for ocing. Im not interested in croosfire or SLI support, dought i will even get two graphics cards, i mean by the time i want to do that there will be a single card out the can perform beeter, but the option would still be nice, (i feel this is another debate better suited else where in this forum).

I have heard that the p45 and x48 chipsets are probably more suited than the p35 or x38 chipsets. I have also heard that they are simply the same chipsets just that the p45 and x48 are strung higher??

Any advice would be greatly appriciated!!

P,

I'd only get the X48 or the X38 if you were really interested in running crossfire in the future. I'd go with the P35 or a cheaper P45 if you wanted to run a single graphics card and do some serious overclocking. More expensive P45s will do both, crossfire at 8x/8x and overclock. If i were you i'd get a cooler for that 680i and start my overclocking fun. You never really know what it will do until you try.

Peaks

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2008
Ok well i dont really have a budget so i will probably look into getting an x48 in the future, or if i really dont want two gpu's then a p45, thanks for the advice.

In terms of cooling my motherboard, do you have any advice on decent coolers. My heatsink is made by Zalman, which i feel are pretty dam good! Which part of the chipset do i specifically need to concentrate the cooling, north or south bridge, (would have thought it would be the north bridge as thats where the RAM, GPU and CPU are located), or should i just get a chipset cooler and do the whole thing?

Sorry if my questions seem a bit novice!!