Sign in with
Your question

Help, Nvidia Control Panel Wont Open- 3.9.731.0 Has stopped working

Last response: in Windows Vista
January 31, 2012 3:36:54 PM

Then a pop up comes up on taskbar saying that Data execution prevention has closed Nvidia control panel. I cant go into setting at all, I have tried to reinstall every driver I could, dont know how to just start over with all the drivers, It says that there is a new gfx driver but when i try to install it, It always says I alredy have it. I dont understand, Im also having trouble with my comp shutting down when I open games and I think this might have something to do with it. Any feedback would be great.
a b \ Driver
a b Î Nvidia
February 1, 2012 4:25:40 PM

Sounds like your video card or power supply is going bad. Video card is the first thing to try here, try a different one.
February 2, 2012 4:21:07 AM

hang-the-9 said:
Sounds like your video card or power supply is going bad. Video card is the first thing to try here, try a different one.

Is it possible for both to go out at the same time? I should have mentioned that I have SLI, 9800 GTX +'s, My sys straight up wont start up with the 2nd gfx card in, and when i switch them out it wont start with the other 1 anyway, But will this make it so i cannot get into the nvidia control panel to turn off sli? I have the 650i sli mobo and it has a chip on the mobo you have to turn around to turn off sli mode also, but when i flip the chip the sys wont start up.

I think that the PSU is going out, It will be my 3rd psu in this sys so far and I dont know why.

Im trying to squeeze more life out of this sys, cant replace anything for a while, so been removing and unplugging things to save power, i.e I unplugged both case fans, the cd drive, toook out a ram stick and removed a gfx card.
Related resources
a b \ Driver
a b Î Nvidia
February 2, 2012 1:22:04 PM

So you are saying with two video cards it does not work, and one of them alone also does not work? This points to the video card that does not boot up as being bad. Or what's the situation? Do either of the cards boot OK by itself?

If you're having issues with the power supply you may want to chance brands and maybe get a line conditioner for the plug you are using.
February 7, 2012 3:21:56 PM

Sorry I havent Checked back in a while, I will give you the whole story.

First my pc.

MoBo- Asus p5ne-sli
GfX Cards- Evga 8900 GTX+'s In SLI
HDD- Hitachi 1Tb 7200rpm
Cpu- Intel E8500 WolfDale Core 2Duo
RaM- 2x2gig Corsair xms2 ddr2
PSU - CoolMax 700W
CPU Fan-120mm Coolmax LeD
Case Fans-2x 120mm LeD
Disc Drive - Samsung DvD Drive

So I was downstairs, My 3y/o son was playing some sponge bob game on nickjr.com upstairs, I notice the front room light all flicker, I knew something was wrong with my pc, Had a gut feeling, Came up here, My son said Daddy what happen, My comp was off, I hit the power button, My Fans/lights spun/lite up for a fraction of a sec and went dim, Tried it again, same thing.

I take off the side panel and decide to clean it becuase I hadnt done it in months, I take everything out besides the Disc Drive and PSU, Wipe everything down, Blow everything off with a can of air, and re-install everything, I didnt add new thermal paste to the cpu becuase I am out. plug in only the power cord, no Screen/KeyBoard/Mouse.

Same thing, tried to start for a fraction of a sec, and went dead. So I decide to remove 1 of the gfx cards. Try to turn it on, same thing, I swap out the Gfx card I left in for the 1 I took out, try to turn it on again, same thing, So I remove 1 of the 2gig sticks of ram, and try again, and It now boots up. So I Turn it back off, put back in the 2nd stick of ram that I took out, and it boots again. I Put back in the 2nd Gfx card and same thing as befor, it wouldnt turn on. Take the 2nd card out again, and it boots, Now, Nvidia Driver update says there is a new gfx driver that I need, I download it and try to install and it says I already have it, override? Yes, says I already have this driver ect, But the Nvidia Control panel will not open, Data execution prevention has closed Nvidia control panel. So I cannot go into the settings and turn off sli, and set the clocks back to default, ( I very very slightly oc's the gfx cards, maybe like 5%, On my MoBo there is a chip that needs to be turned around and plugged in the opposite end also to turn on and off sli, When I have in the gfx card that would boot befor, If i flip this chip around, for non-sli, the comp wont turn on, so the chip has to stay in sli mode for the comp to boot and be used. Now, I can pretty much do anything but play games for extended periods of time, Sometimes (Very Rarely) the comp will shut down then Im just on a regular web site, But with games, about 75% of the time and game actually loads up into the actual game itself, not a menu or anything like that, shortly after I load when I can actually play whatever game I want to play, the comp just shuts down, So I figure its the PSU, I Unplug the 2-120mm LeD Case fans, take out a 2gig Ram stick, and Unplug the DvD-Drive to save power and in hopes that I will actually be able to squeeze more life out and be able to play until I can afford whatever part I am going to need, Still, the Comp shuts down when I actually get past game menu's when you can start playing a game or when the map loads for multiplayer-online games like CoD's and LoL.

So In my opinion, I think I may need a new psu, If i Replace this 1, it will be my 3rd PSU in this comp so far, But its strange to me, that I cannot get into the Nvidia Control Panel to turn off sli, and reset to stock clocks, and that when I flip the sli/non sli chip to non-sli, the comp wont boot, I do remember that It would boot Up befor no matter what position the chip was in compared to the settings in Nvidia control panel, I would actually like to reformat my HDD, But I dont have my Windows Vista Disc or CD Key, Is there a way to do a partial reformat without uninstalling/reinstalling Windows, And should I get a higher wattage psu again? My first 1 was 550Watt and it worked just fine for a couple months and then couldnt handle the power needs of my Comp, the 1 I have now is 700Watt and according to Asus/evga It should only take a 450Watt to run my comp with 1 gfx card, and a 600Watt for SLI/2 GfX Cards, Or Is there a way to just get rid of all my Nvidia drivers and start over without that much difficulty, I dont know much at all about drivers/software, I can build a Custom comp like my own, but have never reformatted a comp or went looking for drivers or anything if the manufactuer web site didnt provide new ones or anything. Hopefully you guys can kind of understand what I'm trying to say, Thanks for the reply so far. I really appreciate it
a b \ Driver
a b Î Nvidia
February 7, 2012 4:33:04 PM

This does not seem like a power supply issue, more of an issue with the video card or cards. I did not see where you tested each video card on it's own, just that you took one out. Test the video cards one at a time, do they booth boot?

It may be a power supply issue, but can also be with the video cards.
February 7, 2012 8:03:32 PM

Yes, I did try each gfx card on its own, with either 1 in my comp would not boot, It wasnt until I removed 1 of the ram sticks and tried it again that It actually started up, But then it was weird, because After I got it to boot with 1 card and a Ram stick removed, I decided to pop the ram stick back in and try it again for whatever reason, Then it booted up, So once I got it to boot up with both sticks in and a Gfx card I decided to leave well enough alone and just bring my comp back upstairs, Because the way it was I was able to use it still, The only thing that changed was that I no longer had SLI, So I only had 1 card in and running, It wasnt until later that day that I got tired of my comp still shutting down in the middle of games that I decided to remove 1 of the 2 Ram Sticks and disconnect my 2 case fans/DvD drive.

1 Thing I forgot to mention was that when I was taking everything out of the case rite after the original incident My Back 120mm Case fans wires actually fell apart extremely easily, I barely grabbed the Adapter that plugs into the MoBo in case fan1 slot and 1 of the wires came out of the adapter rite away, Wondering if anything could have been shorted or something.
a b \ Driver
a b Î Nvidia
February 7, 2012 8:12:12 PM

Seems like the only thing left to try to do is try another power supply. 3 failing is a bit odd though, you may want to put a good surge suppressor or even a power conditioner or a UPS on the PC.
March 17, 2012 11:50:04 AM

have you ever thought that u might have fried your cpu and motherboard wen u cleaned your pc. Even a small static charge from your finger can send enuf of a charge through your pc to efectivly fry itself, that is why it is important to properly earth your pc before you attempt to remove any hardware or conduct any cleaning, anti static gloves are a must, it certanly sounds like this is the case and unfortunatly the only way to fix this is to either replace the motherboard and cpu, video card etc. there is no way to adequatly determin whitch part of the pc has received the charge, so to put it simply maybe you need to invest in a new pc.
May 28, 2012 6:58:50 AM

filthy_beava said:
Then a pop up comes up on taskbar saying that Data execution prevention has closed Nvidia control panel. I cant go into setting at all, I have tried to reinstall every driver I could, dont know how to just start over with all the drivers, It says that there is a new gfx driver but when i try to install it, It always says I alredy have it. I dont understand, Im also having trouble with my comp shutting down when I open games and I think this might have something to do with it. Any feedback would be great.

You have to uninstall ntune application (because of incompatibility with your GPU) and everything works.Just right click on desktop and then click on NVIDIA Control Panel.

Marin
June 12, 2012 11:56:51 AM

Marin_52 said:
You have to uninstall ntune application (because of incompatibility with your GPU) and everything works.Just right click on desktop and then click on NVIDIA Control Panel.

Marin

I dont have NTune anywhere on my machine, I replaced my PSU and my machine runs great now, I still cannot get Nvidia Control Panel to open for me though, Same prob as befor.

I dont see anywhere where I can just redownload Nvidia Control Panel from, And like i said, I dont see Ntune anywhere, I know i had it once befor I upgraded to my 1TB HDD, But I dont think I ever got it again.
!