Sign in with
Your question

My computer has lost sound!

Last response: in Windows XP
July 11, 2010 11:43:56 PM

Hello Community,

I have a problem that I have been unable to fix, my desktop I built in late 2007's audio quit working. I was using my computer and it froze and I shut it off, this happens every once in a while but this time I didn't use my desktop again for a couple of days. I boot it up and the Windows boot sound plays, and when I run the 3D Audio Test in "RealTek HD Audio" I hear noise no problem. But in any other program I get no audio, internet browser, VLC Media Player, video games, etc... everything.

I've updated my mobo's drivers and that didn't fix it. Any help would be greatly appreciated, btw I don't actually use speakers, I use headphones that I just plug into the back of my PC.

Specs below

GIGABYTE GA-P35C-DS3R LGA 775 Intel P35 ATX Intel Motherboard

Intel Core 2 Duo E6750 Conroe 2.66GHz LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Processor BX80557E6750

Crucial Ballistix Tracer 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model BL2KIT12864AL1065

Western Digital Caviar SE16 WD2500KS 250GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Hard Drive -Bare Drive

XFX PVT80GGHD4 GeForce 8800GTS 320MB 320-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card

I am using Windows XP 64-bit, service pack2.

Please let me know any additional information you guys need and thanks in advance for the help!

More about : computer lost sound

July 12, 2010 12:48:55 AM

You have two software devices that must agree with each other, or, no sound.

First, deal with RealTek, Then Windows.

RealTek: open your sound program, RTHDCPL.exe, and see the picture below...

Now, deal with Windows, Click :

Start>Settings>Control Panel>Sounds and Audio Devices

See picture below for order of operations:

m
l
July 12, 2010 1:02:59 AM

Thanks alot for the reply Tigsounds, unfortunatley I have them both seat to headphones and it is still not working :( 

Any more ideas would be greatly appreciated.
m
l
July 12, 2010 1:18:21 AM

gettym said:
Thanks alot for the reply Tigsounds, unfortunatley I have them both seat to headphones and it is still not working :( 

Any more ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Have the RealTek program running, unplug your headphones. RealTek gripes about it and wants to confirm what you just did. Acknowledge RealTek and then plug headphones in again. RealTek again gripes, acknowledge again. Now RealTek knows your headphones are plugged into the Green jack and maybe it will send audio to them?

One last thing... Double-click the Windows Volume Control Icon in the tray and make sure "Mute All" isn't checked...
m
l
!