Sign in with
Your question

Need a sound card for Windows 2003 Server that fits a 3.3 volt PCIslot

Last response: in Components
March 11, 2008 10:46:03 PM

Anybody know of a sound card that will fit a 3.3 volt PCI slot and that also has driver support for Windows 2003 server. Thanks in advance!
March 12, 2008 9:26:51 AM

Isn't Server 2003 based on the same kernel as XP, and 2008 shares with Vista? I think the majority of XP drivers will run with S03 but I'm not 100% on that.
March 12, 2008 2:27:03 PM

You're probably right, but we have a customer that is insisting that the sound card be Windows 2003 Server compatible, and I know many out there have problems with this OS.
Related resources
March 12, 2008 2:54:47 PM

I'm afraid I can't give any examples, and I'm not 100% certain I'm right!
March 12, 2008 4:15:22 PM

whit801 said:
You're probably right, but we have a customer that is insisting that the sound card be Windows 2003 Server compatible, and I know many out there have problems with this OS.

I've run Windows 2003 Server before on a rig. Drivers generally run fine if they are designed for the 32-bit version of Windows XP. You aren't going to get very far with an attitude like that anyway. Try and download the ATI Catalyst driver for Windows 2003 Server... Well you can't!! You have to use the Windows XP Professional (32-bit) driver. That can be a bit flakey as I recall. Windows 2003 Server is designed as a server OS with minimal multimedia support by default. I mean you have to turn on DirectX support again to get accelerated sound and 3D graphics support. So don't expect to find sound or graphics drivers out there specifically for this OS. Your customer is an idiot.

If he really needs the server features in Windows 2003 Server (DHCP, DNS, Domain, servers etc.) then he will have to accept some compromises. Normally you would only need a basic 2D VGA interface to a server machine right?
Wouldn't Windows XP x64 be better if you customer needs multimedia support? It shares the same code base but won't have the extra server features...

Bob
March 12, 2008 9:31:25 PM

Well I found Creative Labs and Asus have sound cards that would fit this system, but none of their cards are supported by Windows 2003 server. Siig cards are supported by Windows 2003 server, but they are all 5volt PCI only. There is one universal (both 3.3 volt and 5 volt PCI) card that Siig sells that is Windows 2003 server compatible, so I think I will try this one. Either that, or I will go with Siig's USB sound device that is Windows 2003 compatible.
!