Wolfdale e7300 heatsink suggestions

exoren22

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2008
I just got an e7300 with stock 2.66GHz that I plan on mildly overclocking. This is an entry/budget build and I am not interested in extreme overclocking, just trying to coax a little better performance out of it. This is going into a RAIDMax Smilodon, which has excellent (and silent, too!) air flow.
My question is simple: What's the best cooler I can get for about $25? I know I don't need a giant thing that can cool a quad extreme, just a good cooler.
Also, the stock intel HSF actually did perform well in the super roundup, keeping the quad under its shutdown frequencies. Noting that the 45nm procs use so much less power, can I just stick with the stock HSF even for mild OCing?
Thanks for your time guys, and I look forward to contributing to this community more in the future.

faster3200

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2008
For a mild OC under $25 just stick with the stock cooler. Anything else for that price will only perform slightly better if at all. You could probably hit 3.0ghz if you don't mind higher temps.

rockbyter

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2008
Use what you have, see how far you get, and buy something fun with heatpipes later if you want.

45 nm means if you get anything that is satisfactory with quad core, it will excel on your dual core.

goonting

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2006
be prepared with thermal paste at hand... whats the thermal envelope of these chips? when will it start to scale down Ghz to cool down?

V3NOM

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2008
err, WTF! ANY cooler with better thermal paste will perform better if it is correctly applied! what's the bet the people in that guide put the whole tube on?

faster3200

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2008
AS5 has "settling in" time. You will get slightly higher temps with it at first but after a bit your temps will go down. This is normal and proven in testing. Also, I have never heard of or heard recommend, that paste they used in the link they posted. V3NOM is right, better paste will yield better performance always.

As for "higher temps" that just means higher temperatures.