NON-adjustable screen sizes?

Last response: in Home Theatre
July 1, 2005 2:18:11 AM

Just got CableCARD for new Panasonic HD plasma TV.

The HD versions of local stations appear as 4:3 ratio screens with black or
grey side bars. One of the stations (NBC affiliate) has light blue side bars
with "HD Tv" on them. Cannot adjust screen sizes (Full, Zoom, Justify) as
with other channels.

Any recommendations?

Thanks

Jay
July 1, 2005 2:22:55 AM

Jay M Apple wrote:
> Just got CableCARD for new Panasonic HD plasma TV.
>
> The HD versions of local stations appear as 4:3 ratio screens with black or
> grey side bars. One of the stations (NBC affiliate) has light blue side bars
> with "HD Tv" on them. Cannot adjust screen sizes (Full, Zoom, Justify) as
> with other channels.
>
> Any recommendations?
>
> Thanks
>
> Jay

1. Your local station is broadcasting a standard def 4:3 picture at
1080i and adding side panels to fill out the required 16:9 format.
2. Your set locks out any formatting controls when it recognizes a
"high def" signal.
There is nothing you can do.
Anonymous
July 1, 2005 7:37:01 AM

On Thu, 30 Jun 2005 22:18:11 -0400, "Jay M Apple"
<nospam@example.invalid> wrote:

>Just got CableCARD for new Panasonic HD plasma TV.
>
>The HD versions of local stations appear as 4:3 ratio screens with black or
>grey side bars. One of the stations (NBC affiliate) has light blue side bars
>with "HD Tv" on them. Cannot adjust screen sizes (Full, Zoom, Justify) as
>with other channels. Any recommendations?

There is nothing you can do to avoid this. The HD channels are
broadcast in either 720p or 1080i and Panasonic plasmas lock the
screen mode to FULL mode on these HD channels. Aspect control
only works when the signal is 480i or 480p but these formats
aren't used on the HD channels. This also happens when using
the OTA tuner or an HD STB.

Randy W

Panny 42PX50U

avsforum.com
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
Anonymous
July 1, 2005 6:17:10 PM

On Fri, 01 Jul 2005 03:37:01 GMT,
RandyLWaltersremovenospammage@earthlink.net (Randy W) wrote:

>There is nothing you can do to avoid this. The HD channels are
>broadcast in either 720p or 1080i and Panasonic plasmas lock the
>screen mode to FULL mode on these HD channels. Aspect control
>only works when the signal is 480i or 480p but these formats
>aren't used on the HD channels. This also happens when using
>the OTA tuner or an HD STB.

Depends on the STB. While I don't have any options on
my Fujitsu with HD channels, my STB (SA3250HD) will do "stretch" and
"zoom" on them.

Kal
Anonymous
July 2, 2005 1:12:18 AM

"Kalman Rubinson" <kr4@nyu.edu> wrote in message
> On Fri, 01 Jul 2005 03:37:01 GMT,
> RandyLWaltersremovenospammage@earthlink.net (Randy W) wrote:
>
> >There is nothing you can do to avoid this. The HD channels are
> >broadcast in either 720p or 1080i and Panasonic plasmas lock the
> >screen mode to FULL mode on these HD channels. Aspect control
> >only works when the signal is 480i or 480p but these formats
> >aren't used on the HD channels. This also happens when using
> >the OTA tuner or an HD STB.
>
> Depends on the STB. While I don't have any options on
> my Fujitsu with HD channels, my STB (SA3250HD) will do "stretch" and
> "zoom" on them.
>
> Kal

Ditto! I have aspect control with a Directv HD receiver (RCA I think). For
anybody considering purchasing a reciever, getting aspect control wiht the
box avoids the above situation.

noone
Anonymous
July 3, 2005 8:34:43 AM

>Just got CableCARD for new Panasonic HD plasma TV.
>The HD versions of local stations appear as 4:3 ratio screens with black or
>grey side bars. One of the stations (NBC affiliate) has light blue side bars
>with "HD Tv" on them. Cannot adjust screen sizes (Full, Zoom, Justify) as
>with other channels. Any recommendations?

>> >There is nothing you can do to avoid this. The HD channels are
>> >broadcast in either 720p or 1080i and Panasonic plasmas lock the
>> >screen mode to FULL mode on these HD channels. Aspect control
>> >only works when the signal is 480i or 480p but these formats
>> >aren't used on the HD channels. This also happens when using
>> >the OTA tuner or an HD STB.
>>
>> Depends on the STB. While I don't have any options on
>> my Fujitsu with HD channels, my STB (SA3250HD) will do "stretch" and
>> "zoom" on them.
>> Kal
>
>Ditto! I have aspect control with a Directv HD receiver (RCA I think). For
>anybody considering purchasing a reciever, getting aspect control wiht the
>box avoids the above situation.

But the stretch and zoom modes on the STBs aren't as good as the
Panasonic's JUST mode. And this doesn't help him since he's using
the CableCard. Now if the CableCard had stretch modes then that
would be something :-)

Randy W
Anonymous
July 3, 2005 8:28:32 PM

"Randy W" <RandyLWaltersremovenospammage@earthlink.net> wrote in message

> >Just got CableCARD for new Panasonic HD plasma TV.
> >The HD versions of local stations appear as 4:3 ratio screens with black
or
> >grey side bars. One of the stations (NBC affiliate) has light blue side
bars
> >with "HD Tv" on them. Cannot adjust screen sizes (Full, Zoom, Justify) as
> >with other channels. Any recommendations?

> >> Depends on the STB. While I don't have any options on
> >> my Fujitsu with HD channels, my STB (SA3250HD) will do "stretch" and
> >> "zoom" on them.
> >> Kal
> >
> >Ditto! I have aspect control with a Directv HD receiver (RCA I think).
For
> >anybody considering purchasing a reciever, getting aspect control wiht
the
> >box avoids the above situation.
>
> But the stretch and zoom modes on the STBs aren't as good as the
> Panasonic's JUST mode. And this doesn't help him since he's using
> the CableCard. Now if the CableCard had stretch modes then that
> would be something :-)
>
> Randy W

I assume the Cablecard box came with the TV. One option would be to buy
another box with aspect control and pump it into the TV instead of using
the existing Cablecard box. Similar to my Directv HD box situation. But then
you would have to pay for another box which is dumb.

What gets me is that the Panasonic designers allowed the no aspect control
situations to exist in the first place? Didn't they test the stuff? Won't
there be a burn in problem? If there is a burn in problem, is it because of
a bad design? Covered under warranty? It seems to be a no win situation for
the consumer.

noone
Anonymous
July 5, 2005 2:51:44 PM

Why would anyone want to stretch a picture out of proportions? A 4:3 picture
smeared out on a 16:9 screen doesn't look very good, even if it saves your
set from burn-in damage. And if you zoom in to get rid of the sidebars,
you'll achieve reduced picture detail (resolution) and it just looks aweful
(IMHO).

I guess the manufacturers invented the lock feature to avoid ill pictures on
their displays (I guess we've all seen the compressed faces and oval circles
on 16:9 screens showing 4:3 broadcasts at places like BestBuy, pubs, cafes,
and other places where people are more occupied with adoring the slim wide
wall-mounted screen than they are concerned about the actual picture
quality).

dOinK
Anonymous
July 8, 2005 2:33:13 PM

Jay M Apple wrote:
> Just got CableCARD for new Panasonic HD plasma TV.
>
> The HD versions of local stations appear as 4:3 ratio screens with black or
> grey side bars. One of the stations (NBC affiliate) has light blue side bars
> with "HD Tv" on them. Cannot adjust screen sizes (Full, Zoom, Justify) as
> with other channels.
>
> Any recommendations?

Tune to the non-digital channel when watching SD tele.
!