Cross continent power supply issue

scyle

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2008
So I want to use my PSU from my home country, and I'm currently in the United States. My old PSU says it can take 110V/230, 8A/4A, 50/60HZ. So I assume that means its okay for use back home (240V) and here (120V). However on the back is a sticker that says "230v", and thats it..which kind of contradicts the other sticker. Which is weird.

Anyway, when I hook it up, I can see the power lights and fans on my system go, but nothing actually happens. It doesnt boot, and the PSU fan does not start...

Whats going on?

The model is CODEGEN 550EX.

:pt1cable:

tonyp12

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2006
It does not have a little switch, that is red in this picture:

27950730.JPG

or with no switch like this?

novatech-550w-atx-power-supply-for-amd-p3-and-p4-mainboards.jpg

homerdog

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2007

He meant to say "top tier." That link he posted has a tiered list of PSUs. Tier 1 is good, tier 5 is bad.

I'm guessing that your PSU would rate in the "bad" category since the first thing that comes up when you google "CODEGEN 550EX" is this thread...

lilsage

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2008
Should be a sticker on the side of the power supply... hopefully. That will tell you what manufacturer and model number. That may help a lot. Other than that... the powersupplies are all designed to take the end power to the same place. That's why some have the switch on them. All else fails, grab a new power supply in the country the computer is not working and you will be good to go. Keep the other and switch them if you go to the other country. Just make sure the new one has all the right connections that you need.

Perhaps may also be an opportunity to upgrade the PSU to something better anyways. Get something that has some extra useability to the one you have now. That will also buy you some future use too. Since they are cheap, might as well get the one that gives you the best options... if that's what you end up doing that is.

scyle

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2008
Okay, so a new one is needed.

Are there any particular models that you guys recommend (from that list)? I'm going to be upgrading in around a year for nehalem.

homerdog

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2007
Corsair PSUs are top quality and easy to recommend. Even the lowest end Corsair (VX-450) will power any single GPU system. They will all automatically adjust to your input voltage without the need to flip a switch.

dokk2

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2007

what you need is a universal psu like the 600w OCZ stealthXstream [fr'instance]that will work anywhere canada,usa,europe,australia,etc,etc....:)

lilsage

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2008
That the one I have... and I have to say I really like it... comes ready for use with 2 cpu's and 2 graphics cards... great for future usability.

homerdog

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2007
Really the OP should look for a switched-mode PSU that has active PFC. All good quality PSUs on the market today day will meet those requirements.