doomsdaydave11

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2007
Ok, before you say "WTF he started a thread that had AMD in it", as I have noticed that most of the people are Intel fanboys....
Does anyone know if AMD is coming out with any more Athlons in the near future? Like a 7000+ or something. I don't need the quad core Phenom, and would like to stick to dual core for gaming, thank you. If not then I'ma go for the e8400 when it hits again.

Just_An_Engineer

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2008
We aren't privy to all of the happenings at AMD so I suppose it's possible we may see new Athlons but I personally think that AMD is finished with socket AM2. I wouldn't be surprised to see some additional "special interest" processors released for AM2 similar to the one recently announced that is targeted at the HTPC market, but I doubt there will be more high end Athlons.

AMD has announced that they will be producing new dual core chips at 45nm for socket AM2+ and AM3. There has been some speculation as to whether these will be Phenom X4's with two faulty cores or a whole different processor. I tend to believe the latter as there will likely be a high demand for such a processor in the low cost and OEM market and AMD would not be able to supply this demand if the dual core chips were manufactured exclusively from faulty quad cores. Since the AM2+ processors will work in a fair number of AM2 boards, I guess you could call these upcoming dual cores the "new Athlons".

epsilon84

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2006
As far as faster K8 based Athlons, no. In fact, AMD is discontinuing the 90nm based 6000+ and 6400+, so the fastest Athlons in future will be the X2 5600+ on 65nm. Apart from the need to move on from 90nm for cost reasons, I also think its to ensure AMD's upcoming dual core Phenoms don't get beaten by their ageing Athlon lineup.

It's disappointing because AMD is essentially going backwards in performance on the dual core front. Who knows when they will finally make a fast dual core that can finally beat the X2 6400+, maybe with 45nm and 3GHz clockspeeds...

Just_An_Engineer

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2008
Apart from the need to move on from 90nm for cost reasons, I also think its to ensure AMD's upcoming dual core Phenoms don't get beaten by their ageing Athlon lineup.

Doubtful. I think it's more due to the fact that AMD doesn't have the production capacity to be running 90nm, 65nm, and 45nm production lines concurrently.

It's disappointing because AMD is essentially going backwards in performance on the dual core front. Who knows when they will finally make a fast dual core that can finally beat the X2 6400+, maybe with 45nm and 3GHz clockspeeds...

Sad but true. I suspect that within a year dual core chips will be relegated to the "budget" role for both Intel and AMD. Considering the people are already gushing about 8 core and 16 core chips coming out it may be that Intel's Wolfdale chips are the last hurrah for high end dual core parts.

Mathos

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2007
http://www.overclock.co.uk/dept/AMD-Phenom_276.html

Well that has the upcoming b3 parts all listed, including a new surprise ;). No detailed info on what the specs are yet as far as clocks though. The Athlon line will probably stay around for another year or so, will end up being the low end budget part. AMD is releasing a newer model right now called the Athlon X2 4850e, which has been partially paired with the 780g chipset. They're also releasing an Athlon X2 5800+ based off the Brisbane core running at 3.0ghz. So we may eventually see another 3ghz+ chips out of brisbane before it goes away.

ocguy31

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2008

I would hope so! With 45nm owning the market, and 32nm on the way from the other side, I would hope there would be no more R&D placed into such an anitquated architecture.