Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Choosing Parts and Needing Answers

Last response: in Systems
Share
February 17, 2008 8:53:14 AM

kk, ill start off with choosing parts. i just want you guys opinions what would be a good ATX Mid-T Case, Motherboard (ASUS) for a Q6600 2.4ghz (wont overclock btw), 2x 2GB PC6400 800mhz RAM, and a PSU (600W+ or just a 700W) that would cost around $400-$500 including S&H. I know its not alot to work with but im on a budget.

and theres this question that ive been asking for awhile time now but people just seem to ignore it... how much watts does a single EVGA 8800 GTS 512 G92 take???

heres a lame question :D  you know when i start up my computer i see this picture saying Energy Star and then the start up contiunues. as you can see here (skip to 1:00), its shows the DELL logo when he press start. well for me, it shows this logo saying Energy Star. so i was wondering... if i get a XFX motherboard, will it say XFX or something?
February 17, 2008 10:10:23 AM

Quote:
and theres this question that ive been asking for awhile time now but people just seem to ignore it... how much watts does a single EVGA 8800 GTS 512 G92 take???


A 500W should be enough for this card.

Quote:
kk, ill start off with choosing parts. i just want you guys opinions what would be a good ATX Mid-T Case, Motherboard (ASUS) for a Q6600 2.4ghz (wont overclock btw), 2x 2GB PC6400 800mhz RAM, and a PSU (600W+ or just a 700W) that would cost around $400-$500 including S&H. I know its not alot to work with but im on a budget.


As for you wanting an Asus board its going to be a little too much around you're budget including the other parts for you're system. Go for a GA-P35-DS3L or something.

Go for a 2GB RAM for now seeing you are on a budget you'll go past your budget, just go for a Corsair or OCZ.

For the PSU go for the Corsair HX 520W.

February 18, 2008 1:25:54 AM

re: the Energy Star logo on POST, it will be a porn star when your mother/wife/girlfriend walks in on you + sound effect to boot. :D 

Most boards have graphic POST screens that have their logos. They can be disabled to show only text POST via a bios setting.

500 bucks for cpu/mobo/ram & psu? Doable.
Related resources
February 18, 2008 1:34:02 AM

Samsung SH-S203B SATA

(Get the "Retail" version of the optical drive in order to get software with it. This will include the decoder you'll need to watch movies on it.)
February 18, 2008 6:57:49 AM

akhilles said:
re: the Energy Star logo on POST, it will be a porn star when your mother/wife/girlfriend walks in on you + sound effect to boot. :D 

Most boards have graphic POST screens that have their logos. They can be disabled to show only text POST via a bios setting.

500 bucks for cpu/mobo/ram & psu? Doable.


case, mothermoard, cpu, psu for $480 and i have to say, tigerdirect's S&H fee is very sad.

mlaporta said:
Samsung SH-S203B SATA

(Get the "Retail" version of the optical drive in order to get software with it. This will include the decoder you'll need to watch movies on it.)


i dont need a optical drive :D 
February 18, 2008 7:34:50 AM

I don't see RAM included in that set, unless you already have it? Get either Corsair, OCZ, Crucial all of these good quality ram.

February 18, 2008 9:40:17 AM

Your not going to be able to buy the system you want for $500, its not black Friday anymore. An Asus mobo running about $150, a Q6600 $279.99 and your already looking at $430, your budget is unrealistic. The 8800GTS has a minumum power requirement of 400W and 26A on the +12V rails, thats all that should concern you and not how much just for the card itself. I'm going to show you the cheapest way to get what you want being realistic, but you may not like it. An Asus mobo is not for the budget people trying to save some money, this is where Gigabyte comes into play.

COOLER MASTER RC-690-KKN1-GP Black SECC/ ABS ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Retail $$79.99
3 Business Day Shipping $18.64

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 Kentsfield 2.4GHz 2 x 4MB L2 Cache LGA 775 Quad-Core Processor - Retail $279.99
Free 3 Business Day Shipping

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

GIGABYTE GA-P35-DS3L LGA 775 Intel P35 ATX All Solid Capacitor Intel Motherboard - Retail $89.99
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Were already at $450 dollars and we don't have any RAM, PC case, power supply etc... I suggest you start saving up for a summer build because by then the 9800 series cards should be out and pricing will be better after supply and demand has settled.





!