Samsung HD501LJ - transfer from mac to pc/ pc to mac

elcallejero

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2009
Hi,
my hard drive (samsung HD501LJ) is formatted for both pc and mac - i mention this because it's most recently been used on a mac but now i'm trying to move some stuff (video) back onto the laptop).

however, with my laptop (Windows XP) i am not able to access the hard drive.
when first plugged in, it does everything that you might expect - recognising new hardware, getting drivers etc...
the only problem is i then can't find it in explorer.

i've tried uninstalling driver and then starting again. no luck..
i've had a look at some other forums but no-one else seems to have the same kind of problem - i saw some suggestion that a device could hide behind another device but i've never had that problem before with other hard drives that i have used on my laptop.

hope i'm not being too lame ...it's hard work bridging divide between mac and pc.

elcallejero

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2009
I can add a few details which hopefully make my problem a little more comprehensible.

Because the drivers for the hardware are declared to be working correctly (i've also uninstalled them, before plugging hard drive back in to drivers again), I've tried to change the letter on the drive so that it will appear in My Computer (this advised by an IT working friend).

Unfortunately, once I get into Computer Management, Disk Storage, I right-click on the hard drive with no name (2 partitions appear - 1 NFTS, the other with no details - am presuming NFTS part is the bit formatted for PC and the other is the bit formatted for Mac - i didn't set it up) - go to option "Change Drive Letter...." but, here, is where i stop. The option is not available (i am administrator - had to check that).....so i'm a bit stumped....