Good deal or Bad, what do you guys think?

boonality

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2008
Well seeing has how it's used it should be cheaper than what you can build it for, which without checking it doesn't seem to be. But just assemble the same components in newegg and check for yourself. I'd say you'll probably be surprised to see that it would not cost any more to buy all the components new.

espslyxerx2

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2007
I checked and all the components come to $1,050. The guy has already done all the work of putting it together, working out all the bugs, and making sure everything is OK. He has also put the time into stress testing the computer to make sure the temps don't get out of whack. It seems to be like an OK deal, the guy looks honest enough.

To add to the fact, the computer looks to get a pretty good score in 3Dmark06 and superpi, it should be a pretty darn fast comp...

Any more opinions?

zenmaster

Splendid
Feb 21, 2006
I would say Don't do it.

The dude does not have any seller ratings.
Not an issue if you are talking inexpensive stuff.
But if buying an expensive new computer system, I don't think so.

Since you did not buy the parts, it will make warranty trickier.
The OS could be pirated, etc...

You are better off paying somebody $50/$100 to assumple set it up for you. That way you have the Hardware warranties in your name and REALLY know what is going on.

intrepid_admin

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2006
He is selling this at $50 above his cost and it is used. It is not a horrible deal. I would just build with one of the newer 8400 C2D processors and probably come in around the same price. If you are not inclined to build or overclock and you want to, this is not a bad deal.

espslyxerx2

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2007
The guy said he could supply most of the boxes for the components, I am guessing he would have receipts for everything. Having a pirated windows xp copy does not seem that weird, considering you can get a cd code off of any dell or compaq. I am also not so worried about getting scammed, he said he prefers local pick up, and offered additional pictures, I could have him take a pic with him next to it or something lol.

Any other opinions?

boonality

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2008
There is no way I would ever pay MORE for a used computer than what it would cost new.

Besides isn't building the computer one of the most satisfying parts?

If you are a novice at building a computer, find someone to help. Most people, myself included, salivate at the chance to help someone correctly build a PC. If you want my help you can drive/fly to St. Louis in May but you've got to have friends that are reliable.

By the way one of my buddies just blew up his 3rd ASUS 680i MOBO and this time took his RAM with it. If you have a friend with that type of background, STAY AWAY LOL.

xringx

Distinguished
May 2, 2007
Are you local?? I dont mind buying used parts (my cpu/mb and half my memory is used) and fell much better than buy from some one you dont know over the internet. But I wouldnt pay retail for used parts which is what your doing.

If you are comfortable with the money and the person go for it. If your local, make him put the computer through its paces before you pay. Have him run the 3dmark 2x and super pi to 32m and monitor the temps.... In otherwords, make him show off his rig, he should be more than glad to.

If your not local, I would shy away from the deal.... The hassle of dealing with someone over a part not working, especially since he already has been paid can be a real pain in the ass.

Example, I got my MB,CPU, 2gigs of crucial 667 memory and a X1900GT video card for $300. (heck of a deal) The video card went out. I had to get him to give me receipts and help with the RMA process. It was like pulling teeth....

intrepid_admin

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2006
I am not going to get into the pirated software discussion ... to each his own .... I am fully liscensed, but my job pays for all my stuff...

Like others suggested, see if the seller will let you see the computer and have him show you all his benches in person. in all honesty, it is not a bad rig.... I prefer to build than buy a computer that is used or even new for that matter. Buiulding for me is the best way to go.

espslyxerx2

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2007
I guess that brings up the next question, how do you guys think he did on his rig? How does it look compared to other systems and how does it perform compared to other systems?

intrepid_admin

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2006
It looks good from the pictures. He obviously knows how to tidy up a case.... I am not sure about the benchmarks.... can someone chime in here baout the benchies?

jhanus

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2008
I just couldn't look away, YOU are going to give 1100$ for USED computer, let me repeat that U S E D and on top of that NEW, let me repeat N E W is 50$ less.

Don't be offended(or maybe you should be) but just to think about it, you have to be an idiot. He put it together, WOW, working out the bugs, WOOOW, common get real, after buying, any part instantly losses minimal 30% and no sane would even pay that without full receipts which don't have his name on it!

It' fast?, well guess what, you just have to pump 1.5V and raise the frequency, how hard is that? OMFG

espslyxerx2

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2007
Your looking at it as a builder, this seems like a great deal for a pre-built computer, you wont find a computer with this kind of performance at this price. Not from anyone, not to mention its now overclocked, up and beyond stock settings.
Anyone else have an opinion? lol

ausch30

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2007
You are on a builders forum, most people here would rather build even if the price were higher just for the fun of it and because their getting exactly what they want. The computer sounds like a good system but I like all the others here would rather buy the parts and assemble myself and I absolutly wouldn't buy a system from someone off E-bay. If you have no desire to build yourself buy a Blackbird or XPS system but I wouldn't trust someone on E-bay with $1200 (after shipping) of my money.

Others have mentioned that you could build it for less than buying it but I think there is a larger issue.

Now let's take it apart:
1. It has a E6750 which is outdated with the introduction of the Penryn CPU's.
2. The P5N32-E SLI Plus is a 650i board which is outdated and has had a number of issues. A P35 or X38 (non-SLI)or a 750i-780i board (SLI) would be about the same price or less and have better compatability and newer features.
3. Cheap PSU! cheap PSU's have a habit of either taking out a system gradually or all at once.
4. Previous generation of hard drive, 7200.10 are much louder and slower than the current 7200.11 (I have both in my system)

Still look like a good deal?

I'm sure the seller bought the system and has been using it for about 6 months or so and wants to upgrade to newer components and wants you to pay for them (not a bad deal, for him).

espslyxerx2

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2007
So I took someones advice from this forum, since I was local to the seller I contacted him via ebay, and sure enough I went to this guys house lol. It may sound weird but hey, I always like to see things before I buy them. Anyways, he showed me the computer, he benchmarked it for me, everything was OK. He also showed me the receipts and boxes for everything. He even let me game a little on Crysis lol. The guy had a cool setup, when I went to his house he had a 7600gt with the 8800gt in the computer and had dual 22" lcds. I took a picture of the setup on my phone and posted it on photobucket, check it out lol.

http://s239.photobucket.com/albums/ff212/BadaPwned/?action=view&current=0313082039.jpg

So at this point, the computer is real so its not a scam, and it performs like it was advertised. I just read someones new post and they were talking about old components, which im OK with old components as long as the computer is fast.

Also forgot to add, I asked him what the main reason was for selling the computer and his reply was something like this,

"I have more into the computer then what im selling it for, the sell price is just what the parts are at now" "Im planning on selling the entire system, screens and all for a laptop"

He had stated he got a new job and was traveling a lot more and needed a laptop.

So theirs my story lol

so does anyone have a say about the performance of the computer?

Before you plan to buy it ask the seller for the following:

A screen shot of stable Prime95 for 6+hrs.
A CPUZ verified link
More detailed pics of the inside of the PC
A pic of the monitor running Prime95 stable for 6+hrs.

jhanus

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2008
Ahh, you seem not to understand...

The RIG is to expensive, it costs way to much, no sane would buy that, it is NORMAL to put more and get out less money, when I buy a car for 10 000 I don't expect to sell it for 10 or 9, no I'm lucky to sell it for 7 if it's new.
What I'm trying to tell you is that you would get better components in some shop, which would build the same pc for free. (you see words like: new, better,etc.)

I don't know why you even ask, really, you already decided before you even posted. Offer is bad, components for the price are bad, everything is bad, but it's your money, so go for it! :pt1cable: < = :lol:

xringx

Distinguished
May 2, 2007
If you not gonna build yourself a computer and you would typically buy a complete system, then purchase it.

Saying that, it doesnt stop you from haggling. Odds are no one is going to buy the computer off ebay anyways, so dicker some. Get him to throw in 1 monitor

There are some minuses which have already been mentioned. In addition, you have little warranty. The CPU has been overclocked which voids it's warranty, ditto the cooler and perhaps the vga card. You do get a break on shipping. I think it is a decent rig, but prices are negotiable. Ask for a big price break, or to include the monitors or something else that he is trying to market. From the e-bay listing he states that he is looking for a new project, not a new laptop. I can understand that motivation, but there is a discrepancy.

Do let us know the final outcome.

boonality

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2008
Since your local, this gives you the upper hand. You could most likely walk with that computer, with a monitor for $900. Which I would say that you'd be doing ok, I personally would haggle like a mother and get under $800 with a monitor but then again, I'm CHEAP.