Sign in with
Your question
Closed

I cannot open any programme on my xp computer

Last response: in Windows XP
Anonymous
July 12, 2010 9:56:37 AM

I CANNOT OPEN PROGRAMMES EITHER FROM MY START MENU OR ICONS ON MY DESKTOP. I CAN OPEN INTERNET EXPLORER BUT not FIREFOX.
EVERY TIME I GET THE MESSAGE WINDOWS CANNOT OPEN THIS FILE AND NEED TO KNOW WHICH PROGRAMME CREATED IT.
EVEN MY KASPERSKI ANTI VIRUS PROGRAMME WILL NOT OPEN. MY TASK BAR LOOKS VERY BARE.
July 12, 2010 4:06:30 PM

Start in Safe Mode and see if you can run a full anti-virus scan from there.

What happened before this issue?
Anonymous
July 12, 2010 6:44:42 PM

I have done a full on -line scan and no virus/malware detected.
I had been using RegscrubXP to tidy up my registry. Seems it might have done a messy job?
Related resources
July 12, 2010 6:48:32 PM

Quote:
I have done a full on -line scan and no virus/malware detected.
I had been using RegscrubXP to tidy up my registry. Seems it might have done a messy job?

For sure, a corrupt of missing registry keys can blow away file associations. Try to do a system restore to a time before you ran the registry cleaner.

If that fails, you are probably stuck with trying to Repair or Re-install Windows.
July 15, 2010 12:43:26 AM

Another issue i have found regarding this problem. Sometimes instead of telling the user that you "Do not have proper authority" it states that issue. Make sure you are in administration mode, or in the administrators profile, or are given admin privileges.

~Trey
July 15, 2010 1:18:01 AM

lazyperson17 said:
Another issue i have found regarding this problem. Sometimes instead of telling the user that you "Do not have proper authority" it states that issue. Make sure you are in administration mode, or in the administrators profile, or are given admin privileges.

~Trey

Are you the OP (WMullins)?
July 21, 2010 6:49:33 PM

k, just checking....didn't want to close an active thread. I think the OP is gone for good.
July 21, 2010 6:49:47 PM

This topic has been closed by Aford10
!