E2160 SLI Motherboard

phr0stbyt3

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2008
So I've pretty much decided to go with the E2160 based on the review, but the P35-DS3P doesnt support SLI to my knowledge.

Can anyone suggest a good mobo to use for overclocking the E2160 that also supports SLI? Thx in advance.

chookman

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2007

Is there really a massive reason for SLI? have you got a high res monitor you need to power for great looking games? Newer gen cards are generally always better the SLI of the older gen stuff. And with an e2160 you may cause a bottleneck in your CPU before you hit GPU bottlenecks at high res's. With the amount of issues with SLI (drivers etc.) i really think its not needed

Mondoman

Splendid
SLI is in practice rarely helpful, as ch points out. There's also the issue that if you don't buy both graphics cards at the same time, you may have a hard time finding a 2nd card with exactly the same GPU later when you're trying to go SLI.
Especially for substantial OCing, I'd certainly go with the excellent performance and stability of the P35 chipset rather than the lesser stability of an nVidia chipset.

r202156

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2007
I've got an 750i with a E2180, 1GB DDR2 800 and a 256MB 8400GS
It's a rubbish set up now due to my low starting budget for the PC, however it gives me a lot of scope for improvement.

Gunna triple the RAM very soon, and when I have the money I'd like a 9600GT, then a better CPU (E8200 maybe) followed by another 9600GT. (so I've never spending more than perhaps £130 at a time, which for me is necessary)

If your not wanting to spend a lot of money right away I've always found that it's worth spending a little extra on a motherboard so later on your only changing one thing at a time.