ST373454LW SCSI drive is write protected when initialising disk

G

Hi Guys

I cannot initialize my scsi drive in computer management. the scsi card is set on ID7 and the drive on ID0.
Its says that the media is write-protected when trying to initialize the drive.

also when i run tests in Seatools Enterprise i get errors when trying to format and running tests.

could it be the jumper setting somewhere, or am i doing something wrong.
maybe the drive i faulty.

the drive spins up and detects when booting my machine up in windows xp.

will appreciate your help.

thanks
mj

ShadowFlash

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2009
what controller card are you using? Some RAID controllers force you to create a RAID set before the drives will be usable. With one drive non-raid, you just create a 1-drive RAID 0, then you need to initialize the drive in the controller card BIOS. Then, it should be ready to use in windows, and annoyingly, you will have to initiaize it again there too. Luckily with 15K's everything is lighning fast. Don't know if this helps out, but it's worth a try.

G

The controller card is a Adaptec SCSI Card 29160.

Drive Seagate ST373454LW Version 0003 SN: 3KP21XJR

When running a test on Seagate Entreprise Seatools Device Status i get the following error when doing a seagate drive test

Target: 0 SEAGATE ST373454LW Version 0003 Drive Self Test Failed 07 / 27 / 00 FRU Code 02 with 02 / FFFFFFFF / 44B510 Code B6AE88

When i run a Generic Drive Test i gives me the following error

Version: 0003 Legacy Long Test Failed No Sense Data Available

I cannot format the drive as it gives me the error Version 0003 Format Failed 07 / 27 / 00 FRU Code 02

Can you make anything out by the errors it gives

Thanks

ShadowFlash

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2009
nope...I don't know what specifically what those codes mean, but every time I've had Seagate Enterprise Tools tell me a drive has failed the long test, the drive was truly dead.